EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 May 2011, 07:59 AM   #1
chrisjj
Cornerstone of the Community

Incoming message size limit

Can I set a limit of incoming message size, such that messages exceeding are bounced, ideally witout using my bandwidth?

Thanks.
chrisjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 May 2011, 03:53 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Options, Define Rules, Reject and then set your limit in Large Emails (bottom of page).
janusz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
chrisjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Options, Define Rules, Reject and then set your limit in Large Emails (bottom of page).
Aha, that was hidden here by Advanced Rules* but temporarily reverting and following your steps gets me:

Code:
if size :over 1024K {
  fileinto "INBOX";
  stop;
}
to be pasted into Advanced Rules.

Thanks Janus

Chris

* I have had to switch to Advanced Rules (sieve script mode) to implement the fowarding non-spam workaround for the problem:

http://www.fastmail.fm/help/spam_vir..._checking.html
Quote:
Note that not all headers may be added on each message. No X-Spam headers are added if the message is not spam checked because:

The user has only 'Basic' spam protection enabled
It's great than 1.2M in size (may change in the future)
A message was detected as containing a virus
Old 26 May 2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Sherry

Hi chrisjj,

Just a couple of thoughts on what you're trying to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
Can I set a limit of incoming message size, such that messages exceeding are bounced, ideally witout using my bandwidth?.
Unless things have changed sieve scripts are not checked until after FM receives the incoming mail so I believe you would still be using bandwidth on those incoming emails.

Quote:
* I have had to switch to Advanced Rules (sieve script mode) to implement the fowarding non-spam workaround for the problem:
I'm not sure how it works as I've never needed it but I believe the beta server has a way to put in advanced scripts without making you change to using the advanced page on the regular server. After using the beta server to write it you could go back to the regular server and the script should still work fine. Someone else would need to give you more info on how it may work with the kind of script (size) you're using.

https://beta.fastmail.fm/

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 10:17 AM   #5
chrisjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Unless things have changed sieve scripts are not checked until after FM receives the incoming mail so I believe you would still be using bandwidth on those incoming emails.
Thanks. Any solution? AFAICT currently any Fastmail account is wide open to an illwisher consuming its bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
I'm not sure how it works as I've never needed it but I believe the beta server has a way to put in advanced scripts without making you change to using the advanced page on the regular server. After using the beta server to write it you could go back to the regular server and the script should still work fine.
Thanks - I'll wait for gamma
Old 26 May 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
rblon
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Thanks. Any solution? AFAICT currently any Fastmail account is wide open to an illwisher consuming its bandwidth.
Sure, but what is the point of that kind of "attack"? It doesn't seem a realistic threat, especially as there are cost for the attacker as well (even if he has a botnet at his disposal).

Are you trying to block spam, or email from people you know who sometimes attach large files?
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 07:43 PM   #7
chrisjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblon View Post
Sure, but what is the point of that kind of "attack"?
DoS.

Quote:
It doesn't seem a realistic threat, especially as there are cost for the attacker as well
No costs I can see - apart from a little time.

Quote:
Are you trying to block spam, or email from people you know who sometimes attach large files?
Both.
Old 26 May 2011, 09:03 PM   #8
rblon
Essential Contributor

Quote:
DoS.
But if there is Denial of Service - FastMail will act. I had the impression you have concerns regarding the bandwidth limit measurement.

Quote:
No costs I can see - apart from a little time.
There are cost sending large attachments - just as there are cost receiving. I guess I wasn't clear about the botnet comment - I wanted to imply that if you have control over such a thing, that comes at a price (which you perhaps only will realize when the Feds walk in).

Quote:
Both
How often do you receive attachments from people you don't know? What kind of size?
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 09:12 PM   #9
chrisjj

Quote:
But if there is Denial of Service - FastMail will act.
Fastmail will automatically act to reject incoming mail, and I see no way they can manually act to avoid that including legit mail.

Quote:
I had the impression you have concerns regarding the bandwidth limit measurement.
My concern here is only the effect of that hitting the limit.

Quote:
There are cost sending large attachments
Not to the attacker using e.g. Gmail.

Quote:
I guess I wasn't clear about the botnet comment
Attacker does not need a botnet.
Old 29 May 2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Terry
The "e" in e-mail