EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 Jun 2007, 08:32 PM   #1
steveone

AOL Mail Unlimited storage

http://journals.aol.com/websuiteblog/productinsider
steveone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Aug 2007, 06:17 AM   #2
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

AOL / AIM "unlimited" email doesn't work.

This is total nonsense. I have an AOL account with about a gig of mail in it. It's unusable. I login via the web (mail.aol.com) and I can't do anything. Whatever I try to do, I get "Loading..." for a few minutes, followed by "An error occurred while retrieving your messages. Try again." I retry a few times, still doesn't work. If I login around 3AM, and try a few times, I have seen it work somewhat. But at least 95% of the time, it fails.

Fortunately, I don't have to use it; it's for storing mail I might need to refer to one day. But I occasionally login to search for something, and the search feature doesn't work.

AOL sucks. As usual.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2007, 02:38 PM   #3
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvey View Post
This is total nonsense. I have an AOL account with about a gig of mail in it. It's unusable. I login via the web (mail.aol.com) and I can't do anything. Whatever I try to do, I get "Loading..." for a few minutes, followed by "An error occurred while retrieving your messages. Try again." I retry a few times, still doesn't work. If I login around 3AM, and try a few times, I have seen it work somewhat. But at least 95% of the time, it fails.

Fortunately, I don't have to use it; it's for storing mail I might need to refer to one day. But I occasionally login to search for something, and the search feature doesn't work.

AOL sucks. As usual.
The last blog entry may help you: "Multiple ways to read your emails."

Seems you need to change the way you access your account. I don't have issues with my aol account, but then I don't have a gig of files in it either.... good luck with that... lol
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2007, 03:15 PM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
for me it's the same,can't login to their new webmail most time.
AOL -- Always Off Line.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2007, 04:12 PM   #5
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
The last blog entry may help you: "Multiple ways to read your emails."

Seems you need to change the way you access your account. I don't have issues with my aol account, but then I don't have a gig of files in it either.... good luck with that... lol
Webmail is likely the most popular way to access AOL mail. If it doesn't work, then the 'unlimited' claim is a BS. And it doesn't work. My Fastmail account works fine, with more mail.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 06:05 AM   #6
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Webmail is likely the most popular way to access AOL mail. If it doesn't work, then the 'unlimited' claim is a BS. And it doesn't work. My Fastmail account works fine, with more mail.
Guess I was pointing out that they have several ways to login to webmail, as pointed out by the article. I can't argue against what you say, I agree with you 100%... just pointing out the article and it claims of other ways of logging in... Good luck....

@ jeffpan.... that was funny... AOL... always off line.

I hope I don't start having these issues... but then I don't use my aol account that much.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 06:17 AM   #7
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Unhappy

Quote:
I hope I don't start having these issues... but then I don't use my aol account that much.
How many times/ways do I have to say it? My issue is that If you have a lot of mail in your account, it almost certainly won't work. My account with a dozen messages in it works fine.

I just tried the alternative methods of accessing webmail suggested, thanks. But they don't work either. I logged in with method 1b and this scared me a bit: "You are currently using 0 KB (of your 0 KB limit)." then "A server error occurred while retrieving your messages. Please try refreshing the page or logging in again.

If this problem continues, please see our technical support information at http://help.channels.aol.com/topic.adp?topicId=SG_AOLOTWAOLcom_AIM"

Then it came up, and showed no messages.
Damn! Using method 1b resulted in ALL MY MAIL DISAPPEARING. ALL MY AOL MAIL IS NOW GONE; ALL FOLDERS ARE GONE. I logged in the usual way and the mail is still gone.

UPDATE: IT'S ALL BACK, AFTER A FEW MINUTES. Odd.

Last edited by elvey : 8 Aug 2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: It's all back.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 06:59 AM   #8
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Just for the record, I support some people with big AOL mail accounts and they work fine in Outlook Express, though Mulberry almost always chokes on them.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2007, 04:31 PM   #9
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
How many times/ways do I have to say it? My issue is that If you have a lot of mail in your account, it almost certainly won't work. My account with a dozen messages in it works fine.
Maybe you should try moving some of the messages in the large account to the account with only a dozen messages. From what you are saying, that might work fine for you. You sound frustrated.... hope it works out for you... I'll say a pray for you before I retire for the night.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 02:17 AM   #10
bramhall
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I'll say a pray for you before I retire for the night.
Will this problem-solving technique work with other email providers, or is it AOL-specific ?
bramhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2007, 04:10 AM   #11
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramhall View Post
Will this problem-solving technique work with other email providers, or is it AOL-specific ?
I'm not sure, but I think it may be more OS-dependent.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2007, 08:50 AM   #12
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramhall View Post
That was funny... There was a little bit more to my post than just that.... I just hope everything gets worked out. I was trying to show I was sincere and not being a jerk about it... guess that did not work... maybe I should have just said what I meant....