EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jan 2002, 06:46 PM   #1
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Lightbulb Pricing details released

As promised, the pricing details are now available. At this stage the home page just links the "About" screen with the summary details, but for those interest in all the ins and outs of each level, here it is: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/pricingtbl.html . Note that features in italics are not available yet. Also note that at the top there's a link to a "details" page which explains what every row is.

We'll add a link to the About screen to this page shortly. This table shouldn't be considered the last word until the day we actually launch the commercial service (scheduled for Feb 18 at the moment), but I wouldn't expect any major changes to be made until then.

It's exciting times for FastMail.FM right now. We've finally actually incorporated, we've got a bank account, we're in the process of getting approval with our credit card gateway, and Rob and I have only a few more things on our todo list before the launch. Thanks everyone for supporting us--based on all the great feedback we're getting I think that things are going to be great!
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jan 2002, 08:02 PM   #2
benbriscoe

Sounds great Jeremy! I notice that SMTP will be permitted on the one-fee account. Previously, this was not an option, so I was wondering whether this was a change in heart or maybe a mistake (am hoping the first one)!

Also, I was wondering whether you plan to set up a holiday feature. Though I do not plan to be away for more than 90 days, it is always possible and it would be nice to see this as an option. Then again, as I will probably be purchasing the 19.95 account, this isn't that important.

That's all. Thanks again, and keep up the good work!
benbriscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2002, 08:30 PM   #3
Edwin
 Administrator 

Excellent stuff, Jeremy!

A quick question about the "detailed" page with the descriptions of each feature. When you talk about transfers, you say: "How many megabytes of traffic can go through the account. A one megabyte message to one recipient results in two megabytes of traffic, since it is received from your PC (1MB) and sent to the recipient (1MB). Sending a one megabyte message to nine people creates ten megabytes of traffic, using the same logic "

Are you talking only about SENDING email, or are you talking about both sending and receiving email? I think this section needs clarifying, especially since while I fully understand your (correct!) logic, most people will never think that sending a 1MB message takes 2MB.

I guess also if you're using the Web interface, your 0.5MB message from a friend (if it's e.g. a graphic) will only take 0.5MB of bandwidth as long as you leave it on the server, but will take 1MB total if you download it to your PC.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2002, 08:58 PM   #4
jhs
Essential Contributor

I would like to know what kind of backup I get with these plans, and if Fastmail gives any guarantees that I won't lose my mails.

I was looking in the FAQ for information about backup, but to my suprise didn't find anything.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2002, 09:14 PM   #5
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Backups are currently done to keep the system running (i.e. there's a redundent disk, and a tape backup) not to retrieve individual user's email in the case of accidental deletion. I don't expect to offer this service any time soon, because it's so expensive to do a retrieve. Perhaps when the business service gets up we'll look at this.

A "guarantee"? I hardly see how that's possible--we do our best, but no service is ever "guaranteed" error free! We'd be uninsurable if we offered a legally-binding guarantee like that, I think. The best we could do is offer the kind of quasi-guarantees that many service providers do, like "mail delivered or that month is free" type stuff. But really, they sound good in the marketing but they're pretty meaningless in practice...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2002, 09:42 PM   #6
jhs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
Backups are currently done to keep the system running (i.e. there's a redundent disk, and a tape backup) not to retrieve individual user's email in the case of accidental deletion. I don't expect to offer this service any time soon, because it's so expensive to do a retrieve. Perhaps when the business service gets up we'll look at this.

A "guarantee"? I hardly see how that's possible--we do our best, but no service is ever "guaranteed" error free! We'd be uninsurable if we offered a legally-binding guarantee like that, I think. The best we could do is offer the kind of quasi-guarantees that many service providers do, like "mail delivered or that month is free" type stuff. But really, they sound good in the marketing but they're pretty meaningless in practice...
"Guarantee" was probably not the right word. I was not thinking about any legal guarantee.

My question was more regarding what would happen if, let's say, a disk with mailboxes crashes. I understand your answer, that you have a redundant disk you can swap to, and I won't lose any data in my folders. And only if something happens to both disks you need to use the tape backup, right?

The reason I'm asking is that at one point I could not log into my MailAndNews account for about 2 weeks after a disk crash. Wouldn't like something like that to happen again.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2002, 10:09 PM   #7
psalzer

That's a beautiful feature set. I was going to get the full account, but now, I'm thinking enhanced looks too good to pass up, although I doubt I'll ever use half the space or bandwidth - but the luxury..wow. My husband never know what to get me for..what's coming up? Valentines day or something..yeah..that's the ticket.

One thing I'm wondering about though - for the average user who now uses something like Yahoo or Hotmail, you give so many features in the one-off membership - will that one time payment really support the number of people who might choose that option? I realize that's your concern, but I think you've acquired quite a large number of people who feel like they have a stake in the success of your business.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2002, 10:17 PM   #8
gkr

DAV

Sorry, but whats a DAV access? is there a link where I can get more info?
Personalities - are they the same as 'send from' addresses

GKR
gkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2002, 10:17 PM   #9
Edwin
 Administrator 

I think the fundamental thing is that because of the various limits in place (storage, length of idle time, bandwidth per month etc.) the calculation no doubt works.

For instance, if one-off payees turn out to be heavy users, they're going to have to buy additional bandwidth to support their voracious email habits

As always, I defer to Jeremy for the *official* answer... but I reckon he's getting some much-deserved rest right now!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2002, 10:37 PM   #10
gpdoyon

Re: DAV

Quote:
Originally posted by gkr
Sorry, but whats a DAV access? is there a link where I can get more info?GKR
I *think* that DAV might be the same as "WebDAV". WebDAV, as I undestand it, gives you the ability to remotely manage web pages/files using such software as the Windows Explorer.

I've never tried this myself but you you can supposedly view your files on FastMail as you would the hard drive on your own PC.

Here is a couple web links that might be pertinent, and will probably put you to sleep with all the techno-babble:

RFC 2518
------------
http://www-old.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/...ol/rfc2518.txt

WebDAV Information
--------------------------
http://www-old.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/

- Gerry
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2002, 12:18 AM   #11
basilmaven

Hi Jeremy,

I guess it'll be left to me to play the devil's advocate on this topic

But first, kudos to you and FM for being upfront about the almost-final fee structure. It's refreshing to have a company be very direct about their pricing and their justifications for it. Having said that, I have a couple of questions and concerns.

1. I feel like there's a pricing tier or critical feature missing from the Full and Enhanced accts. I could do without the Enhanced service but for the 1 free domain email. (I'd then purchase the one time $25/100MB storage option for my files.) In basilmaven's perfect world, he'd like to see:

i) One free personal domain email for the Full acct.
ii) A second choice for me would be 2+ free personal domain emails for the Enhanced. Or a bundle deal, for either acct. i.e. 3 for 0.50 or 5 for a buck. Otherwise, the cost is closing in on web hosting prices at least for us Canadians ($1US = $1.62Cdn. So an enhanced acct w/ 1 email incl and 2 extra = $40 + 6 = $46US = 75$ Cdn.; Enhanced + 4 extra = $40 + 12 =$52US = $84.24. Plus domain costs of approx. $9US or $14.40 Cdn )

2. Any set-up fees for personal domains?
basilmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2002, 01:20 AM   #12
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Nice calculation

It sounds so crazy to do all the calculations above. I would never mind to pay a $4 dollars more or less. It is gonna break my head if I calculate everything in my life like that.

Also, is upgrading available? For example, I start with a two years full account, but after six months I find out that the bandwidth is insufficient, or I want more alias, can I upgrade to the enhanced account in the middle of the way?

Another thing, What does "Mailing list binaries allowed" mean??

Last edited by lux : 31 Jan 2002 at 02:00 AM.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2002, 02:05 AM   #13
lux
The "e" in e-mail

For the bandwidth, if I get a 2mb power point presentation in the attachment, and I send it to 15 of my friends, how many bandwidth have I used? 30, 32 or 60?

Also since the hourly transfer quota for one-time fee account is 30mb, this task would be impossible for the one-time fee account. is that right?

Last edited by lux : 31 Jan 2002 at 02:14 AM.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2002, 02:14 AM   #14
benbriscoe

Copied from above, as you did not get a chance to answer this question earlier:

Sounds great Jeremy! I notice that SMTP will be permitted on the one-fee account. Previously, this was not an option, so I was wondering whether this was a change in heart or maybe a mistake (am hoping the first one)!

Also, I was wondering whether you plan to set up a holiday feature. Though I do not plan to be away for more than 90 days, it is always possible and it would be nice to see this as an option. Then again, as I will probably be purchasing the 19.95 account, this isn't that important.

That's all. Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

Last edited by benbriscoe : 31 Jan 2002 at 07:16 AM.
benbriscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2002, 03:07 AM   #15
kwiniec

Thumbs up

$9.60? :-D I imagine you wanted to charge less than ten bucks, but what made you settle on THAT particular number?

Anyway...would you consider adding a 5-year price point?

_ken
kwiniec is offline   Reply With Quote