EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Oct 2007, 10:14 AM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
FCKeditor 2.5 in beta

FCKeditor 2.5 is finally in beta testing. Given the changelog, it's looking like they've gone all out to create the most compatiable (incl Opera + Safari!), powerful (lots of options and hooks) and consistent (exactly same HTML on different platforms) web browser based HTML editor out there.

http://www.fckeditor.net/nightly/fck..._whatsnew.html

It would be really helpful if people could do some testing with different browsers. There's example editors here:

http://www.fckeditor.net/nightly/fck...s/default.html

One of the core things I'd like to test is Sample 12, switching to Enter=div mode because that's the mode I'd like to use by default. Previously this mode was very buggy (switching paragraphs to lists, then back, or switching source view mode would often break things). My quick testing suggested it appears to all work well now, but I know some of you out there are good at breaking things, so give it a go

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Oct 2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Sherry

Wow, I know you're looking for more than my simple test but I couldn't wait to say the first things I noticed. It is fantastic. I did test the enter key then moved on to the other things I spotted. The enter with both the <BR> and <DIV> feel normal to me. The "Spell Checker" WORKS. That's "great" because I'm a terrible speller. Now for the next "Fantabulous" thing. Those "Smilies" are now so easy to add when needed. And yes, I did change the skin right away. I hated the default look and the Office 2003 has a very soothing, comfortable look/feel to it. (yep, it's all worth three smilies)

PS - Sorry, I had to much fun "using" it so I didn't try to break it yet. I will try that later...

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2007, 03:47 PM   #3
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
FYI I've posted to the blog about this as well.

http://blog.fastmail.fm/2007/10/03/h...-fckeditor-25/

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its not in my Beta how do I enable it please ?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Its not in my Beta how do I enable it please ?
I just clicked on the second link in Rob's post.

Sherry
Old 3 Oct 2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes Sherry, sorry I thought it was enabled in the Beta web mail thing....well I got toooooo excited again

I have done a quick test works well for me...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2007, 06:15 PM   #7
schleng1

I went to a Compose screen. Then I selected Text at the upper right. On the bottom right is an Action button, where yo can choose the new editors. So I chose FCKeditor.
But there is no spell check on it. I am not sure how this all works, but do I possibly have to download a newer version to my computer first?

Thanks,
Susan
schleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Seahorse

Any chance of adding it to the FM beta website as an option? Your link above works nicely in Safari 3.0.3 as far as I can tell. And I can't tell you how much I want to be able to compose HTML emails in the FM web interface using Safari on a Mac...
Seahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2007, 08:26 PM   #9
neilmundy

Wow finally HTML Editor working in Safari! Seems to work but when you hit enter it goes down two lines - I think you already know of it!
neilmundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2007, 11:10 PM   #10
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Neither of the two crippled browsers that my office allows can do anything in the editors. I'll try it tonight on my home computer.
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2007, 12:55 AM   #11
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleng1 View Post
I went to a Compose screen.
Hi Susan,

It's not available on the Beta or Production servers yet so you need to click on the second link in Rob's post to try it out.

Sherry
Old 4 Oct 2007, 01:18 AM   #12
schleng1

Hi Sherry,
Well, strangely enough, when I do what I explained, I get a different HTML toolbar and I see spell check works automatically.

So what do you think is happening? Which HTML am I in? If I selecet the different choices that Rob mentioned on the bottom, I do get different toolbars.
Although the FCKeditor on the link from Rob is different.

Are these choices just there for when they are actually enabled and why are the toolbars different for each one?
Thanks,
Susan
schleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2007, 01:50 AM   #13
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleng1 View Post
Hi Sherry,
Well, strangely enough, when I do what I explained, I get a different HTML toolbar and I see spell check works automatically.
Hmm, I don't see a spell check choice on the regular/beta compose screen. Maybe you have a spell checker add-on for Firefox or some other spell checker? Or perhaps you're seeing the one in Text mode? (or I'm just missing it)
Quote:
Although the FCKeditor on the link from Rob is different.
The one in Rob's post is just there for testing. It's a new version of FCKeditor and if it works well he may put that one into production for regular use.
Quote:
Are these choices just there for when they are actually enabled and why are the toolbars different for each one?
The three choices you can use in the compose screen are all enabled editors. Each one has different problems/features with them so users can pick the one that works best for them. Rob wants to get one that has most of the features everyone needs so they don't have to switch between them. He may think FCKeditor has become the one to use permanently after testing to make sure it works well for everyone.

Hope I explained that ok?

Sherry
Old 4 Oct 2007, 01:57 AM   #14
Sherry

Rob, I see you can now insert a picture from your hard drive. It's not active in your test site but thought I'd ask if it will still be available when it goes live? (great feature)

Sherry
Old 4 Oct 2007, 02:34 AM   #15
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I'm not getting the rich text editing at all in Opera 9.23 (WinXP). JavaScript is turned on. It didn't seem to make a difference if I enabled Java & plugins or not. I just see a text box with the raw html tags.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote