EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 4 Apr 2022, 05:29 AM   #16
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I read that Firefox removed the option to use the Yandex search engine. https://www.pcmag.com/news/mozilla-r...s-from-firefox

I can still use Yandex (and mail.ru) extentions in Firefox. So I realy dont know whats the problem here. Yandex certainly is a very good search engine (and mailprovider).

Anyway...I am still using it. If you want i can put screenshots in here to proof it...but actualy I dont care.

D
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2022, 06:06 PM   #17
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
I can still use Yandex (and mail.ru) extentions in Firefox. So I realy dont know whats the problem here. Yandex certainly is a very good search engine (and mailprovider).
How about that? I did not know they both had extensions. They are still listed in the Firefox Browser Add-ons site. Basic proof as I said earlier this is a PR move to virtue signal with the rest anti Russia crowd. that and it did not remove Yandex from my search.

I am using Yandex as my default search engine. It was Brave but search result are limited. I agree that Yandex is a very good search engine.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2022, 08:24 PM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

Well, the Release Notes from Firefox for version 98.0.1 say this:
Quote:
Yandex and Mail.ru have been removed as optional search providers in the drop-down search menu in Firefox. If you previously installed a customized version of Firefox with Yandex or Mail.ru, offered through partner distribution channels, this release removes those customizations, including add-ons and default bookmarks. Where applicable, your browser will revert back to default settings, as offered by Mozilla. All other releases of Firefox remain unaffected by the change.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2022, 06:16 PM   #19
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Well, the Release Notes from Firefox for version 98.0.1 say this:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
That may be what the release states; however, that is not what I observed. My Yandex search was not removed.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 12:35 AM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

Co-founder of Yandex, Arkady Volozh, has resigned. https://www.reuters.com/technology/y...ns-2022-06-03/
Old 26 Nov 2022, 03:52 AM   #21
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Yandex parent to review ownership of Russian tech giant, seek divestment

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deal...nt-2022-11-25/
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2024, 10:37 PM   #22
truemagic

Sorry to have bump this up.

I'm recently interested in using Yandex Disk as my Google Photos replacement (as Yandex provides unlimited photos and videos upload from phone). However I'm kind of skeptical because of the tension around the world versus Russia, the origin of Yandex.

As a matter of fact I'm not located in the US so can I say I'm relatively "safe" to use Yandex Disk after all? I plan to use solely for media upload and not their email although I had registered for one long long time ago which is still valid today (surprise surprise). I really hope the war had not started and I wouldn't have any worries to use Yandex like I'm now.

My question to the floor: is anyone still keeping their Yandex account and actively using it? What's your opinion on this?
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2024, 04:47 AM   #23
beeboy

I closed my yandex account a few weeks ago. Wasn't using it much and I wasn't comfortable with it any longer. I had no complaints.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2024, 03:17 PM   #24
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy View Post
I closed my yandex account a few weeks ago. Wasn't using it much and I wasn't comfortable with it any longer. I had no complaints.
Are you staying in the US?
Old 24 Mar 2024, 07:54 PM   #25
TenFour
Master of the @

Personally, from here in the USA, I wouldn't touch Yandex. Certainly not for anything critical. I only use the biggest, most stable, and most trusted providers for photo backup.
Old 24 Mar 2024, 11:00 PM   #26
chrisretusn

I use it, no worries.
Old 25 Mar 2024, 06:23 AM   #27
beeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemagic View Post
Are you staying in the US?
I'm staying in Canada.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2024, 10:18 AM   #28
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy View Post
I'm staying in Canada.
Cool. I guess it's not blocked unlike in the US (I could be wrong). Or Yandex in general is not blocked anywhere in the world (yet)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
I use it, no worries.
Glad to know! Are you using the mail only or both mail and disk? Is using mail even a good idea given that the mails sent would possibly be rejected by any other providers out there that place Yandex in their blacklist?
In other words, did you ever encounter your email being rejected?
THanks for your valuble input!