EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 17 Sep 2004, 02:55 AM   #1
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Juno free accounts to be webmail only

Oh, well, we knew it was too good to last. Here's the official word from Juno:

"Dear Juno Member,

We are making some IMPORTANT CHANGES TO OUR EMAIL SERVICE for free members. As of December 1, 2004, Juno Free members will be required to use Juno Email on the Web to access their Juno email.

THIS CHANGE WILL AFFECT YOU if you are a Juno Free member and you currently download your email to your computer using Juno, Outlook Express or other “offline” email software. These changes to Juno email will not affect Juno SpeedBand, Platinum, or MegaMail members or Juno Free members who already exclusively use Juno Email on the Web to access Juno email.

TO CONTINUE USING JUNO SOFTWARE TO SEND AND RECEIVE EMAIL offline on your computer, you will need to upgrade to one of our premium services. Prices start as low as $9.95 per year. Plus, for a limited time, you can get our LOWEST PRICES EVER on all services - with Juno SpeedBand as low as $9.95 a month and Platinum as low as $6.95 a month! To upgrade your service, visit http://www.juno.com/emaildiscount or call toll free 1-888-839-5866.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS. Upgrade to one of the great Juno premium services below to continue downloading your email to your computer using Juno or other offline email software, and receive other exclusive premium member benefits.

Juno MegaMail:

-DOWNLOAD and access your email with Juno, Outlook Express or any POP3 email software -25MB of Email on the Web storage space -Send large attachments – up to 5MB -Check external POP accounts -Just 83 cents per month!*

Juno Platinum:

-UNLIMITED Web surfing -10MB of online email storage -Check external POP accounts -DOWNLOAD and access your email with Juno, Outlook Express or any POP3 email software -As little as $6.95 per month!**

Juno SpeedBand:

-INCLUDES MegaMail and Platinum, PLUS: -Surf up to 5X FASTER+ -Pop-up Blocker -As low as $9.95 per month!** . . ."
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Sep 2004, 03:06 AM   #2
war17
The "e" in e-mail

This is not surprising. Sister service Netzero went this route June 1. Juno is still 4 MB storage?
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2004, 03:09 AM   #3
Javier
Master of the @

Re: Juno free accounts to be webmail only

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave P in StLouis
... Juno Platinum:

-UNLIMITED Web surfing -10MB of online email storage -Check external POP accounts -DOWNLOAD and access your email with Juno, Outlook Express or any POP3 email software -As little as $6.95 per month!** ...
Wow, if this is "Platinum", I can't imagine what people at Juno have in their heads
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2004, 09:57 AM   #4
Dave P in StLouis

Quote:
Originally posted by war17
This is not surprising. Sister service Netzero went this route June 1. Juno is still 4 MB storage?
war17,

Nope, it's been 2 MB for quite a while. Couldn't say just how long.

Javier,

Bear in mind that the "Platinum" service is for Juno as an ISP. $6.95/month isn't that bad. The church I attend has an account with BigZoo.net as its ISP and that's $5.95/month for 150 hrs.

Best wishes,
David P.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:28 PM   #5
herberg

They haven't updated anything on their website yet. In fact, you can still sign up for a free account with email.
herberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2004, 01:42 PM   #6
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Oh great. They only allow you 10 hours of online access to your for free accounts, and now you can't even read them offline. Here's my suggestion. Get Mozilla Firefox, open all your mail in new tabs once you are online, and then disconnect and read your mail offline (which are still on your tabs).
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2004, 03:25 PM   #7
war17
The "e" in e-mail

FMRocks,

Juno free ISP is a good backup. I use the sister ISP, Netzero. In case my ISP goes down, I have an alternate access to internet. My niece only reads her Yahoo emails. So she uses free Netzero.

One cannot use Mozilla if one does not have access to internet. So for emergency like me or low usage like my niece, free Juno or Netzero is a great value.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 08:34 AM   #8
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

^ I wasn't saying use Mozilla Firefox instead of Juno. Of course you need internet access in order to user a browser. I was simply suggesting a possible way to save some time if you're using free juno since the time is limited.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 12:39 PM   #9
CyberSmurf

NetZero (Juno's partner in United Online) dropped pop access to free accounts on June 1st.

They reduced 5MB mailboxes to 2MB on Oct/07/02.
Then they dropped free dial-up in B.C. on Jun/01/2003.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 12:45 PM   #10
war17
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSmurf
NetZero (Juno's partner in United Online) dropped pop access to free accounts on June 1st.

They reduced 5MB mailboxes to 2MB on Oct/07/02.
Then they dropped free dial-up in B.C. on Jun/01/2003.
Netzreo dropped free dailup in BC? Then dropping free dialup to the US will be next Does Juno still have free dialup?
Old 18 Sep 2004, 02:37 PM   #11
Jerry
Essential Contributor

This may be a little off-topic, but since we're talking about "free" ISPs here, you might look at
https://www.access-4-free.com/

There's a one-time setup charge of $4.95, but then you get 10 hours/month free with no ads or popups, and no need to watch "NetZero TV" while you're waiting for your "connection." If you go over 10 hours in any one month, you're billed $1.00 per hour up to $10.00/month maximum. I use them all the time when I travel. I really hated the NetZero ads.

I have not used their e-mail service. They talk about POP3 and IMAP, but I'm not sure if that means only polling other servers to pull mail into their webmail interface.

Jerry
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 04:01 PM   #12
herberg

Their FAQ on their web page only lists a pop server. It's too bad Access4Free isn't available in ND -- that's where my parents live and they're currently using Juno. Going to have to think of something else for them between now and Dec.
herberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 09:15 PM   #13
philtec

Juno Email

You can still receive your juno email if you use the Version #4 of their software.
My 80 year old mother only uses a juno email account.
I have never paid juno one red cent for their service for over 3 years.
The cheapest ISP (which I use is stowetel.com) costs $5.00 per month for unlimited use. You can pay $49.00 per year if you want and it only costs $4.16 per month!
I never connect with juno as its advertising banner takes up 1/4 of the screen.
I never even selected any juno dial-up numbers.
So if you want to use juno as your email client get a copy of version #4 and enjoy.
philtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 09:35 PM   #14
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Re: Juno Email

Quote:
Originally posted by philtec
You can still receive your juno email if you use the Version #4 of their software.
According to the message from Juno posted above by Dave P, this will likely change as of December 1st.
Quote:
As of December 1, 2004, Juno Free members will be required to use Juno Email on the Web to access their Juno email.

[....]

TO CONTINUE USING JUNO SOFTWARE TO SEND AND RECEIVE EMAIL offline on your computer, you will need to upgrade to one of our premium services.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2004, 12:27 AM   #15
Dave P in StLouis

Quote:
Originally posted by war17
Netzreo dropped free dailup in BC? Then dropping free dialup to the US will be next Does Juno still have free dialup?
If you're referring to free dial-up *Internet access*, Juno still has it for the moment, but still only 10 hrs/mo. Here's more of the notice from Juno:

"If you are a Juno Free member currently using older versions of Juno software (1.x, 2.x, or 3.x) you can get up to 10 Free hours++ of Internet access per month from Juno when you upgrade to the latest version of the Juno software. . . .

. . . Juno MegaMail does not include Internet access. Internet access is required to use Juno MegaMail. Amount of storage quoted is the total amount provided and is inclusive of any storage you may already receive with any related Juno account. Juno MegaMail is available only as an annual purchase and is not available on a monthly basis."

Last edited by Dave P in StLouis : 19 Sep 2004 at 12:33 AM.