EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 26 Feb 2003, 10:15 AM   #1
yuvaraj
Essential Contributor

Arrow discussion on web hosting services!

Some links of free web hosting services without ads:

username.sphosting.com
www.freewebs.com/username
www**.brinkster.com/username

Last edited by yuvaraj : 1 Mar 2003 at 09:04 AM.
yuvaraj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Feb 2003, 10:46 AM   #2
kchess79
Master of the @

And http://www.fateback.com ...has anyone used that? It's working well for me so far...
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2003, 10:47 AM   #3
kchess79
Master of the @

Here it says that the free plan does have popups/banners for sphosting...
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2003, 11:09 AM   #4
yuvaraj
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kchess79
Here it says that the free plan does have popups/banners for sphosting...
Yes, they say like that but my homepage loads without any ads!
I get popups and ads in the webpages only during logging into www.sphosting.com and working there. But, the homepages and subsequent web pages in my website however does not load with ads. Or, it may be like this: It seems they store cookies regarding ads and the ad is displayed only once in one day in your computer. To test that, just try to load any commonname.sphosting.com in your browser and see whether you get any ads. If you get, then close the web browser and then try to load the same webpage again. If my thinking is correct, then you would not see any ads this time! I myself tested this way and found my idea working to be true!
yuvaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2003, 02:53 AM   #5
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by kchess79
And http://www.fateback.com ...has anyone used that? It's working well for me so far...
Websites are supposed to have banner ads, but mine never had any.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:42 AM   #6
mail2me
Master of the @

The reason could also be because the ads are blocked by an ad-blocker or the banner ads are not yet implemented even though they are stated as in the FastMail.FM site for Guest accounts.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:47 AM   #7
mail2me
Master of the @

Question

What does the "sp" in "sphosting" stand for?
Old 27 Feb 2003, 01:23 PM   #8
Edwin
 Administrator 

I get a Gator popup when I go to SPHosting.com - not exactly confidence-inspiring...
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2003, 01:51 PM   #9
mail2me
Master of the @

I don't get such a pop-up, but that is most probably due to the ad-blocker in Norton Internet Security.

I like their forums though. The email notification has the reply messages in the body of the email itself, eliminationg the need to go online to check them. Pretty handy when checking mail via a dial-up or a limited web access instance.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 07:41 PM   #10
obwan
Essential Contributor

fateback rules:
1. We reserve the right to suspend or delete any account or data hosted on our servers at any time; If you make us believe, that you're violating any of the below statements, we may close your account at any time

2. We do not allow any warez or software pirating, or password trading of any kind; adult sites; Hotlinks are prohibited; No Illegal use of copyrighted material.

3. We won't tolerate cheaters and people trying to hack into other members' pages neither any SPAM-generated traffic ( eMail / IRC / ICQ / UseNet / MUDs );

4. Fate Back will not be liable under any condition for the content that's put on it's servers by others than it's authorized personel. Any unlawful content will be removed;

5. Single file on a given site shoud not exceed 200k in size. No movie (AVI, MPG, MOV, etc.) files are permitted. No scripts or audio files are permitted.

6. In exchange for having your site hosted with Fate Back, you agree to have our HTML code automatically inserted on your pages. Any attempt to circumvent or hide this (including blank or otherwise useless layers at the bottom of the pages) will result in the immediate termination of your account.
obwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2003, 07:48 PM   #11
COUME
Master of the @

I'm using Brinkster and I think that the best free webhosting!!!
With ASP, MS Access, no ads at all....
They are wicked!

Ludo
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2003, 06:25 AM   #12
dragon1

Here's another webhost that offers free hosting without ads.

http://www.fairmount.nu/index.html

They say it's competitive. You must have an existing website so they can review it for acceptance, because it is manually inspected.

I've not tried them yet. Just in my bookmarks for possible use.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 06:33 AM   #13
dragon1

Quote:
Originally posted by COUME
I'm using Brinkster and I think that the best free webhosting!!!
With ASP, MS Access, no ads at all....
They are wicked!

Ludo
If having no ads, etc. was your main concern, it might be good. But I think the 500MB BW limit for free sites is too low. Given 30MB of space, you'd think they'd give you at least 1GB BW. 3GB would be ideal, even if you don't use your limit.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 07:22 AM   #14
dragon1

Quote:
Originally posted by obwan
fateback rules:
5. Single file on a given site shoud not exceed 200k in size. No movie (AVI, MPG, MOV, etc.) files are permitted. No scripts or audio files are permitted.

6. In exchange for having your site hosted with Fate Back, you agree to have our HTML code automatically inserted on your pages. Any attempt to circumvent or hide this (including blank or otherwise useless layers at the bottom of the pages) will result in the immediate termination of your account.
Their file type limitations made me put a page of my Java games website elsewhere. The game used an .au as well as midi files, both not permissible.

If there's a code on any of my pages, I still don't see any ads. This was before I installed a popup ad killer software, too.

FreeWebs looks good, but here's what they have to say in their Terms of Use:

9. All non-premium users are required to have the FreeWebs FreeBar Code on their website. This adds a very small strip at the bottom of the website saying, "This website is being hosted for Free by FreeWebs.com." Users can upgrade their user status to premium status for less than a dollar a month.

That's what Homestead.com had before they went to paid hosting. If it's the same as with Homestead, it's not too obtrusive but advertising nonetheless. Still, I like what I read.

The premium upgrade isn't too bad at less than $1/month and the BW is 1GB to start. This may be a good place for a blog or a photo album. Password protected directories are allowed, too. Just what I'm looking for.

Last edited by dragon1 : 28 Feb 2003 at 07:27 AM.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 03:01 PM   #15
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon1
If having no ads, etc. was your main concern, it might be good. But I think the 500MB BW limit for free sites is too low. Given 30MB of space, you'd think they'd give you at least 1GB BW. 3GB would be ideal, even if you don't use your limit.
I agree that this limit is very small! But I need to have one without pop-ups... and ads if possible ... That can allow me to use ms access, asp, and use a pdf file that is almost 1Mo for my questionnaire...
If you know anybetter than brinkster with that features! I will be glad to heard about it!
Cos' the one at the top does not allow access DB or ASP...

Ludo
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote