EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 19 Dec 2005, 12:11 AM   #1
usf
Cornerstone of the Community

Spymac asks free member to verify their account.

I receive a email from Spymac asks me to verify my account.
also can surf this website for detail.
http://www.spymac.com/news/article.php?contentid=3772
usf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:29 AM   #2
idealist
Essential Contributor

it looks like they're requiring a cell phone number so you can receive a text message with the secret code. but it appears it's just for the free webhosting.
idealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2005, 02:11 AM   #3
theog
= Permanently banned =

They sent me this last night... I sent their support team an email... they can keep my account... either send them your cell number or pay $25. I don't think so... that cell phone number must be worth $25 to them.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2005, 02:31 AM   #4
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

As idealist suggested above, it's only required for the free web hosting, and since I only use the email anyway, and even that only as a "spare" backup account which I only rarely log into, this isn't a particularly "big deal" to me. But I'm sure some may appreciate this warning, even though it doesn't seem to actually have anything to do with email and might therefore be technically "off topic" here.
Quote:
If you do not verify your account, you may still use all of Spymac's other great services -- including email, forums and blogs -- but you will not be able to access our free hosting package. Additionally, if you currently have files hosted on the free service, they may be deleted if you do not verify.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2005, 02:49 AM   #5
idealist
Essential Contributor

according to the spymac post linked above, it looks like the verification started out for email AND webhosting. But because of an uproar from users, they have changed it to verifying just for the free webhosting.

not a biggie for me because i didn't even know they had free webhosting, and i let the email expire months ago after having problems with it. but i would be very upset if i was using their webspace and they required me to pay $25 or give them my cell phone number. hmph!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 03:09 AM   #6
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by idealist
[...]and i let the email expire months ago after having problems with it.
I wonder how long it takes to expire from nonuse? Since, until logging into it a little while ago after finding this thread, I'm pretty sure it's been months since I last logged into my account via either POP3 or the web interface, yet it's still there with all my messages intact (although apparently the account is about 90% full now, after probably something over a year's use as a backup account).
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2005, 03:36 AM   #7
idealist
Essential Contributor

hmmm.....well according to the thread, it's supposed to expire after 30 days of not logging in. i guess you're special.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 03:39 AM   #8
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally posted by xmailer
I wonder how long it takes to expire from nonuse?
It must be at least 6 months. My last login was june/july of this year, then I saw some news online, and was able to login in November.

The thing that bugged me was how they sent an email... I was confused at first since I thought it was spam. It looked like spam. I verified the links, then, without taking any chances, typed the url directly into my browser. Seems to me they could create problems by sending out these types of emails...

Lets face it, if a user has not loggin for 6 months, it is obvious they are not using the system. Delete the account.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 04:18 AM   #9
idealist
Essential Contributor

well maybe it's 30 days for the webhosting -- the discussion was a bit vague. 6 months seems pretty generous, though -- it seems like i was shut off before then, but i guess time flies when you're having fun!

i never hung around spymac, but in skimming the forum, it seems there are a LOT of unhappy people on spymac. not just because of the cellphone thing, but other changes and slowness in upgrading and such. oh well.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 07:39 AM   #10
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally posted by idealist
well maybe it's 30 days for the webhosting -- the discussion was a bit vague. 6 months seems pretty generous, though -- it seems like i was shut off before then, but i guess time flies when you're having fun!

i never hung around spymac, but in skimming the forum, it seems there are a LOT of unhappy people on spymac. not just because of the cellphone thing, but other changes and slowness in upgrading and such. oh well.
Oh, I was wrong.... it was: Thursday, August 11, 2005 (I checked my join email they sent).

That was when I joined and the last day I logged in. My next login was in November and I'm 100% sure of that. So maybe 4 months?

I know what you mean about unhappy people... I only have spymac in case they actually get better. Doubt if they will, but just in case, you never know. Sometimes companies have great ideas but not the resources to pull them off....

I have it in my pda to login every month now...
Old 20 Dec 2005, 04:43 AM   #11
TheMacFactor

Quote:
Originally posted by theog
They sent me this last night... I sent their support team an email... they can keep my account... either send them your cell number or pay $25. I don't think so... that cell phone number must be worth $25 to them.
Well, I've risked it, but if I start getting loads of SMS spam I'll certainly let this forum know...!
TheMacFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2005, 06:14 AM   #12
idealist
Essential Contributor

yes, I'd be very curious....please let us know.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 06:22 AM   #13
BLuRReD
Essential Contributor

i posted my cell number for the verification note , and they told me that an SMS has been sent to me , i tried every possible combination of area codes and cell number and i got nothing , any ideas ?
BLuRReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2005, 05:40 PM   #14
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by BLuRReD
i posted my cell number for the verification note , and they told me that an SMS has been sent to me , i tried every possible combination of area codes and cell number and i got nothing , any ideas ?
Hmmm. . . for me, it worked pretty straightforward. I choose area code "06" and the rest of my cell phone number in the other field. It worked: I instantly received an SMS...

--Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2005, 05:52 PM   #15
usf
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by BLuRReD
My suggestion ,
select correct country code, then you just fill in what is the phone number (digits) (besides the country code) that someone call from overseas into "area code" and "phone number" blank space.

In Singapore, there is no area code. So in first time, I let area code empty, fill all number in phone space, but it does not work.
So I try fill the first 3 digits (numbers) of the phone number into "area code". the rest digits ( number) fill to "phone number". it works.
usf is offline   Reply With Quote