EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 17 Nov 2018, 05:17 PM   #1
Lost_on_2FA

Two Factor Verification

I’ve been trying to add 2FA to my Google accounts, on iPhone, iPad, and the web. I would like to use Google Authenticator. All of the instructions say to just choose that as the second option to the password. According to the instructions, under “Set up alternative second step,” I am supposed to “find ‘Authenticator app,’” and tap “Set up.” All of which sounds easy enough. Except I don’t have that option. I have reread it many times. I have the following options for a second step: receive a Google prompt on a different device; use a physical security key; receive a text message or voice call; and using one of 10 backup codes that it generated for me that I am supposed to put somewhere safe and can only use each one once and then I come back into this screen and have it generate 10 more codes. This last option is under the “Backup” should the second verification step fail. For various reasons, I really cannot use the options I am being given. Would someone please help me? Thank you so much for your time.
Lost_on_2FA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Nov 2018, 05:35 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Assuming you have installed the authenticator app on your Apple devices.

If I go into my Gmail on the web, open Google account:

Sign-in & security
Signing into Google
Password & sign-in method
2-step Verification

There it shows the option for Authenticator app

And you're not seeing this?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2018, 09:28 PM   #3
Lost_on_2FA

Yes, I have Google Authenticator installed, but no, I don’t see what you describe.
When I click 2-step Verification I see a page explaining what it is.
It has a “Get Started” button.
When I click that button it makes me sign in again.
Then it takes me to a page that has:
(This is an exact copy and paste without the graphics.)
Use your phone as your second sign-in step
Google will send a secure notification to your phone as your second factor during 2-Step Verification.
Get Google prompts on these devices now
All devices signed in to your Google Account will get prompts. You can control which phones get prompts in your 2-Step Verification settings.
XXXXX iPhone
XXXXX iPad
Don't see your device?
Don't want to use Google Prompt?
Choose another option

If I click “Choose another option” I get this:
Security key, a small physical device used for signing in
Text message or phone call, get codes by text message or phone call

Since I have few options, I chose the Google prompt. After I click yes on the prompt,
then I get this message:

Almost there! Add a backup option
If you lose your phone or your second step is unavailable, you'll need a backup option to help you get in to your account.

Google will only use this number for account security.
Don't use a Google Voice number.
Message and data rates may apply.
How do you want to get codes?
Text message
Phone call
Use another backup option

If I choose “Use another backup option” I get this:

Save your backup codes so you'll always have account access
Backup codes are one-time passcodes that you can use to sign in when you're away from your phone. Each code can only be used once.

And it lists a bunch of codes.

That is it. There are no other pages, paragraphs, buttons, or options. (I would be better able to show you but I guess that this forum doesn’t allow attachments.)

Thank you for your assistance.
Lost_on_2FA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2018, 10:04 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Is this for an ordinary Gmail account, or something like G Suite where your account has an administrator?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2018, 10:46 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Are you trying to set it up direct from the phone? Here are the instructions from here:

Quote:
Download the app
INSTALL GOOGLE AUTHENTICATOR

Set up the app
On your iPhone or iPad, go to the 2-Step Verification section of your Google Account.
Under "Set up alternative second step," find "Authenticator app" and tap Set up.
Follow the steps on the screen.
To verify it's working, get a code from your Authenticator app. Enter it in your settings.
If your code is correct, you'll see a confirmation.

If your code is incorrect, try again. If you’re still having trouble, you might want to verify that the time on your device is correct or read about common issues.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2021, 01:48 AM   #6
Larry91

I haven't this option too. The solutions above didn't work. Honestly, I have no idea how to fix it. All the guides say to pick the option that I don't have at all. It could be a problem with my account. So, I've rented sms number to create another g-acc. Spoiler alert - it didn't work. Does this mean that the problem lies in hardware? Or am I too stupid to miss something in settings? Two-factor verification is not something indispensable, but I've spent too much time on it, so the solution will be found by any means.

Last edited by Larry91 : 28 Apr 2021 at 02:47 AM.
Larry91 is offline   Reply With Quote