EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Nov 2021, 07:18 PM   #1
giskard

FastMail calender keeps asking for old username

I signed up to FastMail using the userid xxxxxxx, but after the trial period I changed my username to my actual name. I've since updated all of the saved authentication details in Thunderbird to use the updated username but I still keep getting authentication requests from Thunderbird, for the username xxxxxxx, saying:
Quote:
https://carddav-xxxxxxx.xxxxmail.com is requesting your username and password. The site says "carddav-dxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.com"
I've completely removed my FastMail account (both IMAP email and Calendars) from Thunderbird and re-added them after closing and restarting Thunderbird, but keep getting the aforementioned authentication dialog.

Is it FastMail that's providing that username to use to connect to my FastMail calendar? How would I find out where that username is coming from?

Last edited by giskard : 9 Nov 2021 at 09:28 PM.
giskard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Nov 2021, 09:48 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I think you'd be better to raise a ticket with Fastmail support. They might need to look in their logs to see what's happening, or they might need to reset something.

Assuming you can login at: https://www.fastmail.com/login you can raise a ticket by clicking the FM logo at the top left, then choosing Help, then on the next page click on "View or create a support ticket" at the top right of the screen. You should be able to see & reply to your emails using the FM website, until you get your problem fixed.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2021, 12:33 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The suggestion to contact support is a good one, but CardDAV is not associated with your Calendar. It is used when Thunderbird is trying to synchronise your contacts with Fastmail.

I suggest you look carefully at the Fastmail setup instructions for Thunderbird, especially the section that discusses Contacts. Maybe, there is something you have forgotten.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2021, 04:44 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

First, I recommend that you immediately edit your initial post and remove your userid and that URL with the unique number. This is a very public forum which is spidered by search engines. Revealing such information won’t allow a criminal to immediately attack you, but it’s similar to posting your Social Security number - it might give bad actors assistance in attacking you.

Fastmail requires you to use a specially created App Password for an email client. Thunderbird allows you to securely save the login credentials. Try these steps:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...lete-change-tb

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2021, 04:50 AM   #5
giskard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
The suggestion to contact support is a good one, but CardDAV is not associated with your Calendar. It is used when Thunderbird is trying to synchronise your contacts with Fastmail.

I suggest you look carefully at the Fastmail setup instructions for Thunderbird, especially the section that discusses Contacts. Maybe, there is something you have forgotten.
You're absolutely right, I clearly didn't look at the URL carefully.

I'll have to check how to synch my contacts from FastMail
Old 9 Nov 2021, 04:55 AM   #6
giskard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
First, I recommend that you immediately edit your initial post and remove your userid and that URL with the unique number. This is a very public forum which is spidered by search engines. Revealing such information won’t allow a criminal to immediately attack you, but it’s similar to posting your Social Security number - it might give bad actors assistance in attacking you.

Fastmail requires you to use a specially created App Password for an email client. Thunderbird allows you to securely save the login credentials. Try these steps:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...lete-change-tb

Bill
Thanks, done
Old 9 Nov 2021, 09:30 PM   #7
giskard

All fixed, I needed to install a Thunderbird extension to handle CardDAV and CardBook is recommended so I've installed that and all seems to work fine now, with no random FastMail CardDav authentication popups.

Thanks all for your help and advice.