EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 31 Oct 2005, 12:10 AM   #1
trew
Cornerstone of the Community

End of sumertime software

My computer had the software so it by itself changed time at 03.00 AM back to 02.00AM but the Radioclock failed due to the signal strength being too weak. I live too far away from the 77KHz radio time station based in Germany here in Stockholm sweden.

Typical me despite having a saying that one should advance the hands one hour cause we look forard to summer time and put them back one hour cause we look back o nthe summer that ended so abrubptly. I still made the wrong move.

Do you have the same summetime adjustment too?

Trew
trew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Oct 2005, 11:37 PM   #2
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Re: End of sumertime software

Quote:
Originally posted by trew
... the Radioclock failed due to the signal strength being too weak. I live too far away from the 77KHz radio time station based in Germany here in Stockholm sweden.
Are you sure about that?  DCF77 (the time transmitter your clock tunes into) is a VLF transmitter (77.5kHz, hence the name — the initials are for Deutsches something), hence has a very long range (I think it's supposed to be about 1000 miles or 1.6*10^6 metres), the same as MSF Rugby which broadcasts on 60kHz.

My bedside clock tunes to DCF77, and it picked-up the time change just fine.

One thing I've found with VLF is that positioning is critical; the signal strength can vary considerably between two points less than a metre apart.  (I've had this problem both with my bedside clock and with my computer-room/travel clock, which is MSF.)  If your clock has a signal-strength indicator, try moving it until you get a good signal.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2005, 03:49 AM   #3
trew

You are right. I have ahd four such radio DC77 clocks and they are functional even up to Umea or even far away but it depends on how much noice there is from electric Microoven clock and TV sets and Hifi Stereo circuits. Low Energy Bulbs to oemit low frequency noice. I have Sony Communication shortwave receiver going down to 150 Khz and nocie level rather high here so much depence on palcement indeed. 1 meter closer to window makes a hugh diference at times.

One of the two I ahve just now have a signal strengt indicator and it tokk some hours but now it has received the correct time. Typical of me I forgot where I had placed the instruction on how to set it up.

But sometimes that doesn't help cause I fail to get how to follow them.

ok all is ok now. thanks for helping me.

trew

Ps trew seems obsessed keeping correct time to the second but still miss the evening news by ten minutes. Hm
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2005, 05:18 AM   #4
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Or you could just set the time back for an hour rather than messing with equations and the metric system.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote