EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 10 Jul 2021, 01:46 PM   #1
philtec

Goodby Excite Email

URGENT NOTICE for All Excite Email Subscribers,
We have made the decision to end Excite email operations for all Excite members effective August 31, 2021. All email account information including emails, address books, calendars, notes, etc will be permanently removed from our servers and will no longer be available. On this date we will no longer offer, nor support, email services.

You have the option to move to a new subscription-based email with improved services through our long-time partner, BlueTie. For a small annual fee, you'll be able to keep your contacts and messages with uninterrupted service. Your email address will change, but you'll keep the same email platform you know and trust with your current settings.

Gone just like myway.com service back when.
philtec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jul 2021, 05:16 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Mentioned earlier: http://emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=78732
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2021, 06:34 AM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yup its sad..... Another 1 thats been around along time
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2021, 01:32 PM   #4
marty1968

There’s always @netzero.net
marty1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2021, 05:09 PM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

Unhappy Yes but for how long??

Old 31 Aug 2021, 12:19 PM   #6
marty1968

Even if they split as well, there is still plenty of other free ones… wish excite would give the actual reasons for shutting down… peeves me off to no end that they couldn’t keep the @excite.com with their opening their blue tie service … I started using web based emails due to the PITA of switching ISP emails when I changed ISPs

Oh well, All Good Things….
marty1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2021, 08:50 AM   #7
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1968 View Post
… I started using web based emails due to the PITA of switching ISP emails when I changed ISPs
Many of us started using webmail back then to avoid the need to keep changing email addresses: I started using webmail because I kept moving between various academic institutions every year or two and my email address kept changing.

I still have my email addresses from Hotmail and from Yahoo that I got in 1999 or 1998, though I don't use them for anything useful nowadays. I had lots of other addresses in various free (and one paid) service that have all gone. I have my Gmail address from 2004 but I almost never used it for email correspondence. I'm sort of stuck with it as my Google account username, because Google doesn't (or didn't) allow changing a gmail address to an external address in a Google account. I never used my ISP email address for anything but receiving email from the ISP, but I still have it after more than 20 years (haven't changed ISP over all these years). For almost 20 years I'm using my own domain for email, and probably I would be able to keep doing it for many more years.

I guess that the most stable email address would be in one's own domain (provided one doesn't fail to renew registration). Almost as stable are email addresses in Gmail or Hotmail (including outlook.com). Yahoo has been there for almost 25 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if one day they'll close their email service, Just like Excite and many other services that have been available for two decades or more. They are private businesses and don't get much from the free email service they offer.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2021, 01:38 PM   #8
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Many of us started using webmail back then to avoid the need to keep changing email addresses: I started using webmail because I kept moving between various academic institutions every year or two and my email address kept changing.

I still have my email addresses from Hotmail and from Yahoo that I got in 1999 or 1998, though I don't use them for anything useful nowadays. I had lots of other addresses in various free (and one paid) service that have all gone. I have my Gmail address from 2004 but I almost never used it for email correspondence. I'm sort of stuck with it as my Google account username, because Google doesn't (or didn't) allow changing a gmail address to an external address in a Google account. I never used my ISP email address for anything but receiving email from the ISP, but I still have it after more than 20 years (haven't changed ISP over all these years). For almost 20 years I'm using my own domain for email, and probably I would be able to keep doing it for many more years.

I guess that the most stable email address would be in one's own domain (provided one doesn't fail to renew registration). Almost as stable are email addresses in Gmail or Hotmail (including outlook.com). Yahoo has been there for almost 25 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if one day they'll close their email service, Just like Excite and many other services that have been available for two decades or more. They are private businesses and don't get much from the free email service they offer.
Agreed. That's why I keep Gmail as my primary even if its privacy is next to nothing. Also the bonus point is that I've an Android phone and Gmail integration is a breeze compared to other email addresses.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2021, 06:49 AM   #9
BlueTieInc

1 week left to use your @excite.com addresses

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that as of 1/1/2022 you will no longer be able to receive email to your @excite.com address. If you had one previously and it is linked to your social media or bank account, you still have time to sign up to use that old address to change things before it stops working. You may do so here: https://signup.bluetiehome.com. If you have questions, please send to support@bluetiehome.com.

Thanks!
BlueTieInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2021, 12:33 PM   #10
unijax

No dice

Login only brings up bluetiehome email.
Emails to excite address are returned as address does not exist.
Now even bluetiehome account is locked.
Drat.
unijax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2021, 03:04 PM   #11
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome... I am so sorry
Old 26 Jan 2022, 08:39 PM   #12
jdtaylor
Master of the @

The excite uk website isn’t loading properly. You just get a list of links. In my opinion Excite might be starting to close down. This may be why, they are stopping the email service.

I think my first email address was with Excite. I just think some poorly used email services are going. I think the goowy.com domain might be available on AOL Mail. They sold off their service or changed it to aol. I just can’t remember.

So I don’t think it’s just them.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2023, 12:21 PM   #13
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to EMD
Old 11 Mar 2023, 12:18 AM   #14
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Major News - Excite.co.uk no longer exists. Anybody else seen this?
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote