EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 14 Apr 2022, 12:44 PM   #1
ralphzak

alternative to two step verification?

Hi

If I and somebody else both share an email account, and it sends a message to one of our mobiles to verify in order to access it.. it's an annoyance..

Is there any way I can have some security while not having that?

If gmail had the option to only allow access from certain geographical areas then that'd improve the security more than completely turning off two step verification..

I could completely turn off two step verification on that email account, but i'm wondering what other options there are?

thanks
ralphzak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Apr 2022, 02:11 PM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

How about 2 Gmail accounts that forward to each other?

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2022, 07:31 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

You have several options for Gmail 2FA. One is to send a code to a trusted phone that has that Gmail account logged in on it. I bet you could keep Gmail logged in on both phones. Or you could select to have a one-time code sent to an app on your phone--simply install the same app and use the same code to set the app up. But, in the long run I advise not to share Gmail accounts like this. Leads to all sorts of potential trouble. Instead just share the emails, as soundcomputerguy suggested. Much, much easier, and you can stop it at any time. You can even create filters to only share certain emails.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2022, 10:20 PM   #4
Folio

Another (somewhat more expensive) option would be for you each to have your own hardware security key (e.g. Yubikey, Titan key, etc.) and have both keys registered to the account.
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote