EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 6 Mar 2021, 04:49 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
How to disconnect an Instagram from a Facebook account?

I have the habit of, for most of my Instagram posts, have the post automatically appearing on Facebook too via the options where you can indicate if you want to publish the post as well on for example Twitter or FB. Normally you have to indicate to publish on Facebook or not for each post seperately.

Apparently I pressed a wrong button or so, because when I checked my Facebook account I noticed a notification saying my Instagram and Facebook accounts were now connected. I didn't want that. I prefer to use Instagram and Facebook separately, sign in to FB and Instagram separately, and decide on post-to-post basis if I want an Instagram post to appear in my FB timeline or not.

How can I disconnect both accounts so that they're separate accounts again (without having any posts or pictures deleted from my Instagram account)?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Mar 2021, 05:40 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

On the web click on your image to go to account settings, and at the bottom is a section for Facebooks Account Center.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2021, 06:05 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
On the web click on your image to go to account settings, and at the bottom is a section for Facebooks Account Center.
Thanks

I was actually pretty surprised to see a notification on FB that there would be a connection between my Instagram and my FB account. I've always selected the option to post an Instagram post to FB timeline as well on post to post basis, but my Instagram and Facebook accounts had seperate log ins. It was not as if logging in to Facebook also signed me in to Instagram or so. That is my main concern, I want to keep both accounts seperate (I have different passwords for both as well)
Old 8 Mar 2021, 06:08 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Unfortunately, Facebook knows all! Here's what Instagram says about unlinking your accounts: https://help.instagram.com/176235449218188
Old 9 Mar 2021, 12:52 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks! Should I make the disconnect both in the Instagram and the FB account? Will it not affect my existing posts and pictures?

I wonder if signing in to Facebook also signs you in to Instagram if the accounts are connected. That would be my biggest objection to the connection. So far I've always signed in to these accounts separately, they don't even have the same password. I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 9 Mar 2021, 01:09 AM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

I'm pretty sure you can still have separate identities with Instagram and Facebook--at least I do! https://www.pocket-lint.com/apps/new...ger-experience
Old 11 Mar 2021, 04:36 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I'm pretty sure you can still have separate identities with Instagram and Facebook--at least I do! https://www.pocket-lint.com/apps/new...ger-experience
Thanks!

But... "Single sign-on across Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram" it says in the article.
This is exactly what I don't want.

I don't mind my Instagram posts appearing on FB also in my timeline, but I don't want to be signed in to Instagram when I sign in to Facebook (or vice versa). I want both to require a separate login with each their own password, rather than signing in to FB and being automatically signed in to Instagram too.

But thanks for the article, I appreciate your help I realize I'm a rookie in many things with "modern" apps...
Old 16 Mar 2021, 01:54 AM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I tested on my mobile: I signed in to Facebook and this did NOT sign me into Instagram automatically. To sign in to Instagram I had to go to the Instagram app separately and enter my Instagram password (which isn't the same as my Facebook password).

So I'm confused... I clearly saw a notification in Facebook about a week ago about FB and Instagram being connected. But now it seems that both apps require a separate log-in rather than signing into Facebook automatically signs me into Instagram too.

Does it make sense then to still disconnect both apps?
Old 27 Mar 2021, 12:57 AM   #9
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I don't know but hope I did disconnect the both accounts. The info on how to it on Facebook's own Instagram FAQ page is outdated

I first went into Instagram and via Settings, I found a portion on the Facebook Accounts Center. There was info on how to sign in to both accounts, share stories, ... I removed my own Facebook profile from that Account Center.

When I go back into Instagram > Settings > FB Account Center > Sign in to multiple accounts... I only see "add accounts" but no other accounts are listed there.

I then wanted to do the same in Facebook, but when I went into Settings there, I didn't see any link to Facebook Account Center

Does this mean both accounts are disconnected correctly?
Old 27 Mar 2021, 07:52 PM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

Can't you just test it by posting to one or the other and looking to see if it posts on one or both?
Old 29 Mar 2021, 07:01 AM   #11
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Well, I had nothing to post about the past days, but I did this control: I signed in to Facebook, then went to Instagram.com and I was NOT automatically signed in to Instagram. The last time I did this control, I was automatically signed in, but this time I wasn't.
On my phone idem dito: I signed in to Facebook, then went to the Instagram app, and Instagram wasn't signed in, it asked for my password.

So no longer being signed in to Instagram when being signed in to Facebook, gives me the impression that disconnecting the both accounts has worked. I guess when I post to Instagram next time, I'll be 100% sure, but the test I did now seems positive!
Old 17 Jun 2021, 09:51 PM   #12
rachedri

I also ran into this issue, and it seems that I have disabled Facebook from my Instagram account in my account settings. But it wasn't that easy, and some of my posts were still being posted on Facebook. So I just switched to Snapchat because it's basically the same content as Instagram, plus you can upload videos to your phone, and there are no annoying ads. Well, another reason I switched to Snapchat is that I couldn't block someone on Instagram. For example, those who send out spam mailings or writes inappropriate words, thereby polluting my messages.

Last edited by rachedri : 22 Jun 2021 at 09:22 PM.
rachedri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2021, 06:42 PM   #13
cecilylaur

Your problem is known to me my friend. I had something similar some time ago, but in contrast to you I wanted to synchronize my facebook account with the instagram one. So I made some deep research on the internet and youtube and I found this web platform https://backlightblog.com/delete-deactivate-instagram. There I learned how to disconnect an instagram account from facebook, and vice versa. So luckily the internet showed me how to solve my errors, related to social media. I believe I helped you with your questions, and I wish you good luck!!

Last edited by cecilylaur : 22 Jun 2021 at 11:06 PM.
cecilylaur is offline   Reply With Quote