EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 28 Mar 2008, 03:37 AM   #1
silasm0

That word , 'Terrorist'

Has that word, 'terrorist' ever been used in history before? I read in history books that there were anarchists before, but I never found any terrorists before. Can anyone come up with an explanation?
silasm0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Mar 2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Edwin
 Administrator 

Ok, let's tread very carefully here as this board has a strict "No politics" rule.

Here's an interesting background to the word "terrorism":-

Quote:
The term "terrorism" comes from Latin terrere, "to frighten" via the French word terrorisme,[4] which is often associated with the regime de la terreur, the Reign of Terror of the revolutionary government in France from 1793 to 1794. A leader in the French revolution, Maximilien Robespierre, proclaimed in 1794, “Terror is nothing other than justice, prompt, severe, inflexible; it is therefore an emanation of virtue; it is not so much a special principle as it is a consequence of the general principle of democracy applied to our country's most urgent needs.”[5] The Committee of Public Safety agents that enforced the policies of "The Terror" were referred to as "Terrorists."[6] The English word "terrorism" was first recorded in English dictionaries in 1798 as meaning "systematic use of terror as a policy."[4] The term appeared earlier in English in newspapers, such as a 1795 use of the term in The Times.
More on this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_terrorism

Again, remember the NO POLITICS and NO RELIGION rules
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
JRobert
Master of the @

I think Edwin's reference nails it. The anarchist seeks to overthrow (government or order) by violence; the terrorist seeks to create chaos via fear. One targets the state; the other targets the populace.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobert View Post
I think Edwin's reference nails it. The anarchist seeks to overthrow (government or order) by violence; the terrorist seeks to create chaos via fear. One targets the state; the other targets the populace.
Not really, anarchism is a political philosophy, terrorism is a means to an end.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 09:31 PM   #5
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. This topic is unavoidably political.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 04:01 AM   #6
Bamb0
Master of the @

Lets try and keep it calm though.. We have a nice quiet atmosphere here and we are all mature and should be able to discuss things w/o them blowing up right?
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
bingy

...and without them blowing us up.
bingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to EMD....

I hope you like it here
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 05:46 PM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen View Post
One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. This topic is unavoidably political.
No, it isn't, as long as it's kept purely on the linguistic level, without ever discussing whether any particular person or organisation is one or the other.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 10:18 PM   #10
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
No, it isn't, as long as it's kept purely on the linguistic level, without ever discussing whether any particular person or organisation is one or the other.
Yeah, but keeping on a purely linguistic level is a fantasy. The participants in the Boston Tea Party, from the perspective of some British of the time, were terrorists. From the perspective of pro-independence Americans of the time, they were freedom fighters. Patriots.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 11:17 PM   #11
drew
The "e" in e-mail

One have to be good at rhetoric to talk only formally about such sensitive matters. It feels like politics or ideology very easily. I fail to but ok me not good at rhetorics or spin.

I like that EMD has as little of politics as possible. such get nasty very fast.

They have presidental fight in US now and for several month more. Such could fill pages of threads. So we better stop writing, gets out of hand.

And besides, to use that word will target us as a hate site would it not. How subtle we try it could get misunderstood as implicit connotation to something else. I'm skeptical to all this. Would it not be best we delete the thread to not get EMD in trouble? I'm a pessimist when it comes to internet and security.

I hope I am wrong though.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 11:55 PM   #12
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
One have to be good at rhetoric to talk only formally about such sensitive matters. It feels like politics or ideology very easily. I fail to but ok me not good at rhetorics or spin.

I like that EMD has as little of politics as possible. such get nasty very fast.
I agree. I also frequent forums where free-wheeling political discussions take place. But it's understood from the outset that these are going to happen, and there is a large number of participants. Hard feelings get soothed over pretty fast.

One thing I like about this particular site is that it generally focuses like a laser beam on e-mail. Controversies and heated discussions are limited to that (and to other things tech-related).
Old 31 Mar 2008, 12:04 AM   #13
drew
The "e" in e-mail

The only "religious " fights we have here is about the pseudo religious love for Linux or Fastmail. But that is most likely taboo to admit. Such is holy.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote