EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 22 Dec 2023, 01:39 AM   #1
mister
Essential Contributor

Oh no from Zoho

https://help.zoho.com/portal/en/kb/a...l_verification
So I no longer have access to the email address they want to send my code to. Looks like I'm royally hosed.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Dec 2023, 05:11 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, the most important contact address you must maintain is your backup email used for a wide range of accounts. This is one of the main reasons I purchased my own personal domain 24 years ago. My main purpose was to allow me to use email addresses at that domain, which could be delivered to my current favorite email provider. But once you own your domain (and maintain control over it, which requires maintaining the backup email at your domain name registrar and DNS provider), you can use addresses at your domain for backup at services, knowing that you will always keep that address available, even if an email provider folds.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2023, 10:20 PM   #3
mister
Essential Contributor

I think AI has taken over at Zoho. Their responses are not satisfactory.
Old 24 Dec 2023, 11:25 AM   #4
dryoldlime

Although of no help to you now, one should want at least ONE email address to use for account verifications for other email accounts. Choose from something like AOL, Yahoo, GMail, or other free and popularly known services.

Here's one idea:
Important account on GMail
Special account for verification purps on Yahoo.
Give the Yahoo as the alternate for GMail in case need to verify the GMail;
Give the GMail as alternate for Yahoo in case need to verify the Yahoo.
dryoldlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2023, 12:14 PM   #5
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryoldlime View Post
Although of no help to you now, one should want at least ONE email address to use for account verifications for other email accounts. Choose from something like AOL, Yahoo, GMail, or other free and popularly known services.

Here's one idea:
Important account on GMail
Special account for verification purps on Yahoo.
Give the Yahoo as the alternate for GMail in case need to verify the GMail;
Give the GMail as alternate for Yahoo in case need to verify the Yahoo.
Everything is correct but do also following:

2FA on Gmail and Yahoo accounts. 2FA by TOTP (Authenticator) and SMS to phone number and print/save backup codes.
Run Authenticator app simultaneously on multiple devices. I run it at least on two smartphones and on PC (KeePass). Backup your 2FA tokens (I use Aegis app that has autobackup feature).

Also, I personally world not rely on Yahoo/AOL (it is the same company now). Instead use Microsoft email (outlook.com/hotmail.com).

If possible, use some paid service linked to your Gmail or Yahoo/Hotmail. It will increase the chances of account recovery in case of emergency. I use Google One for Gmail.
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2023, 08:30 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
2FA by TOTP (Authenticator) and SMS to phone number and print/save backup codes.
And, be very careful not to lose access to old phone numbers for a period of time after changing numbers! I once almost lost access to my Gmail account when for some reason their system decided I was logging in from a suspicious location--my living room at home. So, I went through the login process and Google in its wisdom would only give me the option to get a code via SMS even though I had TOTP codes setup, backup email, one-time codes, etc. I had recently changed my phone number so I had dutifully updated my number with Google, but they would only send codes to my old phone number previously deleted from my account. I could get no other option to login, not even backup codes. They would only send the code to my old phone number. Luckily, I had previously logged in from my office so I went in to work and was able to login there normally, but it was a bit of a scare. This is the #1 Achilles Heel of Gmail. No way to reach a human being if there is a problem.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2023, 11:23 AM   #7
mister
Essential Contributor

Final offer from Zoho. Looks like there is hope!

Thank you for writing to us.
xxx@xxx.com, you do not have access to the email address. As you failed to update the recovery email address and mobile number to access the account. This is applicable for all Zoho users and that is the reason we have asked to reactivate the email address xxx@xxx.com.

We request you to confirm if you have access to account password. If so, kindly share the screenshot of the OTP requesting page after entering the password.

As you are ready to share the information regarding the Zoho inbox, we will check this with out internal team meanwhile help us with the screenshot of the OTP page.
Feel free to write back to us for any further assistance.

Regards,
Zoho Accounts Team

Last edited by mister : 27 Dec 2023 at 01:46 PM.
Old 29 Dec 2023, 05:57 AM   #8
mister
Essential Contributor

So I finally have access! Hats off to them.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 09:45 AM   #9
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
So I finally have access! Hats off to them.
Welcome back to Zoho

I'm a happy (paying) user but one thing I still can't get used to is that the full email addresses are displayed as sender instead of sender name (screenshot)
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2024, 07:16 PM   #10
pippopippo204

I also ran into this problem.
My email provider shut down the service and now Zoho sends me the otp to an email that no longer exists.
I have already tried contacting Zoho, they told me to have my e-mail reactivated by my provider.
I will try to explain the problem again... I will tell you how it goes.
pippopippo204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2024, 03:35 PM   #11
pippopippo204

Problem solved.
I contacted Zoho again and then they proposed the same solution they proposed to @mister whom I thank.
I then immediately proceeded to change the recovery email.
pippopippo204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2024, 10:08 AM   #12
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

This is a quintessential example of the kind of thing that infuriates me with email accounts.

webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote