EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 18 Dec 2008, 04:44 AM   #46
David
Ultimate Contributor

Ave Maria

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2008, 07:26 PM   #47
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Ave Maria

Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! ...Beautiful
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2008, 09:18 AM   #48
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
As a non religious I dont really celebrate Christmas, however I can enjoy some aspects of it such as the nice decorations in the town. But christmas music? Some of it is OK, as long as we stay away from the commercial ones such as "Last Christmas" by Wham or that terrible Christmas song from Paul McCartney.

Now I am a goth fan and I realise many people don't like this music, but... check out London After Midnight's "The Christmas Song". Highly recommendable just like the band itself. It is not exactly a goth band, but often tagged as such by some people. This song is far from goth though, don't worry It is now listenable on www.myspace.com/lam and on YouTube there is also a few clips. LAM are a great band generally, check them out
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2008, 11:16 AM   #49
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Marvelous Little Toy - also not sure of artist
It's a song by Peter, Paul and Mary
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2009, 10:25 AM   #50
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Possibly the most upbeat, happy feel good Christmas song is James Brown : Soulful Christmas also covered by Faith Evans who heavily samples the original. Some more of my favourites:
Brook Brenton : You're all I want for christmas
Ray Charles : Rudolph The Red Nosed Reigndeer
Peggy Lee : Happy holiday
Otis Redding : White Christmas
Norah Jones : Peace
Belle & Sebastian : Winter wookie
Kate Bush : December will be magic again
Vanessa Williams : Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Carla Thomas : Gee Whiz, It's Christmas

That will do for now methinks!
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2009, 10:27 AM   #51
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

That should obviously read "Brook Benton"... my computer has tiny keys and I have fat fingers.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 03:59 PM   #52
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lachlan View Post
That should obviously read "Brook Benton"... my computer has tiny keys and I have fat fingers.
I love that Christmas song! ...."Wooah baby, my computer has tiiiiiny keys, and I have got suuuuch fat fingers now!"
Old 2 Dec 2009, 06:48 AM   #53
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

CHEEKY!!
How's the alternative Christmas playlist coming along Malc? It's something I quite fancy doing too, so if you need any suggestions count me in.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 04:27 PM   #54
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Sorry Adam, I couldn't resist

My alternative Christmas playlist has been largely ignored for the past 11 months, but thanks for bumping the thread with some more great suggestions.

You have reminded me that I will have to do some more work on my playlist, I can't take another Christmas filled with all those predictable songs.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 09:19 AM   #55
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

You talk my language Malc. My work colleagues bleat about my choice of "obscure" Christmas songs (even the phrase "crappy covers" has been used a couple of times), but I just snicker. I indulged them by adding the oh so predictable Bing Crosby : White Christmas. Well nearly... it's a modern remix of the 1942 Holiday Inn version that either pleases of offends. To me it makes a refreshing change from the '58 single version that has been flogged to death every December for over half a decade. As for the list I bumped the thread with, you're most welcome. There are plenty more like that in the same mood as Joni Mitchell's River etc. Mary Chapin Carpenter's Christmas album Come Darkness, Come Light springs to mind, and I would highly recommend it. Olivia Newton-John's album Christmas Wish is overall more cheerful but still a good buy. Have you also perused the "A Very Special Christmas" CD ranges? There are about six volumes of lesser-known Christmas tracks (as of yet the only way I seen so far of getting a particular Alison Krauss song). I recently purchased Vol.6 (I think): A Very Special Acoustic Christmas, chilled out songs mostly featuring one singer and a solo piano or guitar, with a country bias. Only annoying thing is, some of the tracks are crossfaded, but certainly worth a look.

On a completely different note (and I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet) has anyone purchased Christmas In The Heart by Bob Dylan? I pre-ordered the deluxe edition with christmas cards of the album artwork so I received mine early. This must be the most controversial Christmas album this decade (ever?). I am a fan of Dylan's work as a prolific songwriter and singer, but I must admit that his delivery of these familiar Christmas standards is quite painful to listen to. Mostly because his voice has disintegrated so badly and he can no longer sustain control of higher notes. I was also a bit disappointed that there were no original songs on the album, but I guess if he had composed any they may have further alienated much of his die-hard fanbase. However, it's still worth buying because Dylan is donating all his artist royalties from the album sales to charity, and should be applauded for.

Last edited by Adam Lachlan : 3 Dec 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 11:00 AM   #56
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I recently bought The Dreamboats and Petticoats® Christmas Album (it was half-price if bought with Dreamboats and Petticoats® Three, but I would have bought both anyway); some interesting choices, including Run Rudolph Run by Chuck Berry (which I've not heard before) and what seems to be the original Little Drummer Boy. And the inevitable White Christmas is Pat Boone, not Bing Crosby.

No Pogues, Jethro Tull or Simon & Garfunkel however.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2009, 04:26 PM   #57
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Excellent stuff! .....I will certainly check out the ONJ & MCC albums on Spotify, like you say, makes a refreshing change. Not sure about Dylan though, sounds like one to avoid! The Chuck Berry song is on Spotify too, I shall most likely make my Christmas playlist from there this year, and pay the £0.99 for 24 hours ad free

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming!
Old 3 Dec 2009, 08:37 PM   #58
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

I have only heard Bryan Adams version of Run Rudolph Run, not the original. Considering this is the man who brought us loads of terrible ballads, this isn't a bad performance.

Here's a taster of what Bob Dylan has to offer. Judge for yourself! I do quite like the video.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 06:05 AM   #59
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

LOL, love it! I haven't heard that song before, seems it has been sung by a few people though.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 07:39 AM   #60
mister
Essential Contributor

http://www.skreemr.com/results.jsp?q...SkreemR+Search
I sort of liked Jimi Hendrix version of Little Drummer Boy.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote