EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 14 Dec 2004, 06:40 AM   #16
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by dodger
hate to sound "highbrow" or pretentious, but give J.S. Bach's Christmas Oratorio a listen. It's got some of the greatest music ever, Christmas-oriented or not...especially moving to me is the final section of the whole work, the chorus "Nun seid ihr wohl gerochen"
Is that the work from which Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (sorry, don't know the original German title) comes?  That is a lovely piece of music, often associated with CHristmas, and surely one of Bach's greatest hits...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 07:23 AM   #17
dodger

nope, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" ("Jesus bleibet meine Freude") comes from another cantata, "Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben" (I think)...don't know the number of that particular cantata but yes, it's a beautiful piece of music too I'm a Bach enthusiast, but not an expert by any means
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 07:28 AM   #18
dodger

ah, Cantata no.147- looked it up (that sort of thing always bothers me) You should listen to that whole work- all of it is really beautiful
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2004, 06:50 AM   #19
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

There's a very beautiful Corelli piece (it was featured in the oriiginal Laserium, for those whose memories can stretch back some 30 years) as well...

And I'm getting hooked on Do They Know It's Christmas? 20 for some reason. I still think the 1984 original is better, however...
Old 21 Dec 2004, 01:06 AM   #20
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

At the weekend, I heard once again "Fairytale of New York ~ The Pogues & Kisty McColl", great song shame about the teeth! , how could I have forgotten to mention it before

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2004, 05:36 AM   #21
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

My favourite: don't know. I do quite like 2000 Miles by The Pretenders. My least favourite is anything that has been what I would call "slaughtered" by The Jackson 5. Steps' terrible cover of Slades classic Merry Xmas Everybody also makes me cringe.

I say a lot of it is down to how it is performed. For example, I like Santa Claus is coming to town by the Crystals, The supremes, etc, but not the Jackson 5. Even though it is the same song!
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2004, 06:34 AM   #22
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Chris De Burgh's song A Spaceman Came Travelling is a beautiful song, which for me is unfortunately spoiled by the error in the first verse — a light-year is a measure of distance, not of time. (It's the distance light travels in a year.)

Anyone covering this song would IMO be justified in altering this lyric to " 'Twas long years of time"...

Mind you, forum rules forbid me to post my parody of part of the final verse, even though (unlike many parodies) it isn't dirty. (Suffice it to say that it's connected with the Holocaust, although I hasten to add that it's just a joke and not meant to offend anyone nor express any pro-Nazi sentiments.)
Old 25 Dec 2004, 02:20 AM   #23
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Chris De Burgh's song A Spaceman Came Travelling is a beautiful song, which for me is unfortunately spoiled by the error in the first verse — a light-year is a measure of distance, not of time. (It's the distance light travels in a year.)
What spoils it for me is that it has met the fate of many other popular songs: played to death. I'm afriad that I have to make use of my hifi's skip button because of this, a great shame.

I has suddenly occured to me that East 17's "Stay Another Day" is a decase old this year, it doesn't seem that long!
Old 26 Dec 2004, 01:13 PM   #24
darrylb

I'm sick of pretty much all Christmas music and songs, except for "Good King Whatshisface" (dunno how to spell it), although I've yet to get the new age group Cusco's Christmas cd, which has a few Christmas tunes on it that I'm not familiar with, so it's not like it's all done 5 million times junk of "Jingle Bells" and all. They're an excellent group too, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Of interesting note is having the Christian metal band's Stryper's thundering rendition of "Winter Wonderland".

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSmurf
I would say the barking dogs are pretty annoying. Same goes for the cats.
Heh, but those can be funny though:

http://members.shaw.ca/atariaddict/catmelody.mp3

Note: I don't know how long the above will take to download, I sent it to a guy on a website, sending all three songs separately, but he put them altogether into one. It probably won't take too long though. Have fun
darrylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2004, 01:25 PM   #25
darrylb

Quote:
Originally posted by darrylb

Note: I don't know how long the above will take to download
Just downloaded it myself: 1.8 megs takes less than 10 minutes on dial-up. Not bad.
darrylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2004, 10:26 AM   #26
Carefree Frank

Cool

Best: Last Christmas by Wham. Never fails to bring a tear to my ear, but then I am a big softie.

Worst: Stop the cavalry by Jona Lewie. I just dont like it.
Carefree Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2005, 11:40 PM   #27
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Under-played Christmas music

Thought I'd bump this thread as it's nearly Christmas.

Too much Christmas music is overplayed and thus we get sick of it. But a couple of lesser known favourites of mine are:

Joni Mitchell - River (from the album "Blue") and

Simon & Garfunkel - Silent Night/The Nine O'clock News

These two superb songs remind us that Christmas is not the happy perfect senario depicted in most other compositions.

With your help, I'd like to put together an alternative compilation of good but under-played Christmas music in time for playing next Christmas.

_Malc

Last edited by Malc 44 : 22 Dec 2005 at 11:54 PM.
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2005, 12:12 AM   #28
SAS
Cornerstone of the Community

My favorite song right now is by Kenny Chesney~All I Want for Christmas is a real good tan.....probably because I wish I was someplace basking in the sun. And, my all time favorite would have to be Elvis~I'll Be Home For Christmas.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2005, 05:01 AM   #29
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Here we are again one year on.

"Christmas is all around" as featured in Love Actually, lightheartedly performed by Bill Nighy. The song itself is appalling but I love the tune, I also like the was it was done in mick taking way... dread to imagine what Wet Wet Wet think though! (It'd be interesting to hear Robert@fm's opinion on this too!)

I now cannot endure either Wham!'s "Last Christmas" or "Frosty the snowman" by the jackson 5 with a straight face, makes me nauseous thinking about them quite frankly! As for Wizzard's "I wish it could be christmas every day" that merely fits into the "dull" category, it's not objectional in the same sense as the two others mentioned in this paragraph.

Some more positive tunes now. Have to say I like Proper Crimbo by Bo Selecta. Okay I said tunes but I can't think of anymore right now.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 05:20 AM   #30
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Lachlan
Steps' terrible cover of Slades classic Merry Xmas Everybody also makes me cringe.
The original is the best Xmas song, Wizzard's "I Wish it Could be Xmas Everyday"is the second.

I don't like most of the rest, they tend to be too mushy
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote