EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 18 Mar 2010, 06:17 PM   #46
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Almost two years after:

I have "lost" almost 30 kg. I "gained" back about 2-3 but then I didn't really mean to lose more than 27. Just thought that being able to say "I lost 30" with a round number is nice, and adds to one's confidence in one's ability to have control.

Here's the graph recording my weight since I started my diet produced by "The Hacker's Diet" site. The light gray line are measured weight data. The red line is the more meaningful running average (most of the fluctuation in the raw data accounts for body water content). The yellow line is the diet's "business plan" but I didn't really have a "plan". After returning from a two week vacation in the Czech Republic in October 2008 (where I did not refrain from all the good meat in cream) I put the "plan" by connecting the start point with where I was so I have some cue that tells me I'm continuing with the same pace. The blue line shows excercising and one can clearly see how it is related to losing weight. When I stopped exercising the rate of weight loss got slower and slower (I stopped exercising around February 2009 because I needed a Hernia operation. I renewed exercising in the summer of 2009 and completed the plan of losing 30 kg. Then I stopped exercising during my two weeks visit to Canada in October 2009 and also gained back about 3 kg but it's prety much under control now: as long as I record my weight I know when I'm getting too heavy.... I still need to start exercising regularly, though. It seems to have some other benefits.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2010, 06:21 AM   #47
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

I think it's often a matter of finding what kind of diet works for you.

Personally, I favor high-protein diets. Lots of chicken, fish, fruit, vegetables, but very little bread, pasta, potatoes, cookies. I also favor eating good-quality food that includes things you really like - that might mean asparagus, even if you put butter on it, or some chocolate. The idea is not feeling so deprived that you get depressed. And cut out soft drinks, even diet soda.

And are you aware that people lose weight simply by switching dishware and using smaller plates?

Also, if you're lucky, you may develop a personal saying or mantra or epiphany that helps you keep at it. In my case, it was reminding myself that you're supposed to be hungry when you're dieting. I think the problem with many people is that they can't grasp the idea that they have to live with feeling hungry.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2010, 09:44 AM   #48
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
The odd thing about me is that I never gain weight even though I must confess an addiction to sodas (I am one of the Coca Cola Company's most loyal customers ). Somehow though I don't gain weight.

Anyways, I was told by some that switching to a vegan diet helped them to lose weight in an effective manner. I cannot speak from own experience since I've been vegetarian since a very early age (age 6 when I became veggie, I'm 28 now) and switched to being vegan about 1.5 years ago ; having not eaten meat or fish for so many years means I cannot make a link between my weight status and what I'm eating. But those who switched to vegetarianism or veganism only during adulthood often told me that it helped them to get a good control of their weight. Not entirely sure if it's a coincidence or not ... Fact is that a well-balanced vegetarian/vegan diet is healthy in many ways, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is some link between it and weight loss.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2015, 12:32 AM   #49
red cloud

football players exercise a lot but theyre fat
red cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2015, 02:19 AM   #50
ReuvenNY

Moderato's Comment

cafedesirebiz, mentioning green tea or coffee again will get you banned!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2015, 06:24 AM   #51
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

In case someone didn't already mention it - eating "healthy" is not a route to weight-loss. Some people do lose weight as a result, but it's not the same thing as dieting, and you can't count on it to work.

1.Still, where you can, switch to lower-fat, lower-carb versions. If you normally have toast in the morning, for instance, have one slice instead of two.

2.Walk more. If you can walk to work, great. If you can run errands on foot, great. If you can take stairs instead of elevators, great.

3.Avoid sodas/soft drinks, even sugarless ones.

4.Don't eat sugar in the morning.

5.Get used to being hungry. One problem is that people expect to diet without ever feeling hungry. What's better if you think, "Hm, I'm hungry" but then accept it, and ignore it, instead of looking around for dietetic snack food.

Good luck!
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2016, 04:28 PM   #52
BabettaSanders

Try to Be Beautiful!

Try eating only veggies and whole grain foods. Eliminate dairy (as stovertm said), sugar, and white grained-food (white bread, pasta, rice) and substitute with whole grains. Or if you eat three times a day, try breaking it into six smaller meals.

Last edited by ReuvenNY : 12 Jan 2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Spam signature removed
BabettaSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2016, 05:42 PM   #53
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to the site...

I have heard WHOLE GRAINS are not good for ya...... (Harder to process I guess?)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2016, 07:35 PM   #54
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabettaSanders View Post
you gonna be awesome!
So awesome that the mods will be interested.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2016, 06:52 AM   #55
buyog

The weight result comes from around 20% gym/exercise, and 80% from what we eat.

Less carbs and sugar will help.
buyog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2016, 09:07 AM   #56
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyog View Post
Less carbs and sugar will help.
The "and sugar" is redundant — sugar is a carb.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote