EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Mar 2024, 06:47 AM   #16
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
...I want to change the file's name while saving it!
I usually do that immediately after I download (that is if I want to keep that file and archive it somewhere, not just view it locally).
Actually what I really need is a way to change the filename when I attach a file to a message I compose, because I don't want to change the name of the local file which is fine, only the name of the copy I send to better suit the recipient's needs. The only way to do it is to make a copy locally, rename it, attach it and then delete the local copy, which is very cumbersome, so I hardly ever do it, and then of course the recipients needs to rename the file to something that makes sense to them.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2024, 10:05 AM   #17
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Somehow saving word (docx) files works flawlessly.
Jpg ang Pdf files don't!'
it is because the Fastmail's web interface can parse and show PDF and image attachments, but cannot process and show DOC files.

Every change you noted is because they decided to process and show some types of attachments within their server / their interface. Few days before, and for 20 years, it was always processed by our browser, with our config behavior.

I really prefer the old way of work. Now it is a pain to open and analyze several attachments and the message at the same time.
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2024, 10:08 AM   #18
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Yes, the download icon works flawlessly, but the "save as" doesn't!
I want to change the file's name while saving it!
maybe you should change your browser's config. If you change Firefox / chrome / Edge config to always ask where to save your downloads, it will open the same window you use to rename the file.

In Chrome this option is inside "Settings" -> "Downloads"
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2024, 02:56 PM   #19
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioMor View Post
maybe you should change your browser's config. If you change Firefox / chrome / Edge config to always ask where to save your downloads, it will open the same window you use to rename the file.

In Chrome this option is inside "Settings" -> "Downloads"
Yes! This solves the problem!!
Thank you very Much DarioMor for your useful advice.
Much appreciated
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2024, 01:19 PM   #20
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudge View Post
I think this change is good because they are using icons instead of language. It helps when you're in a mulit-language environment and is always visible, which wasn't always the case when not using english.
They could have kept the icon on the bottom so that those of us with lots of folders don't have to scroll each time we want to move to another one
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2024, 12:49 AM   #21
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
..its stupid having it above the inbox.
Not sure why you say it's stupid. I was a bit nonplussed by the change at first, but now I'm used to it, I think it's an improvement. That little "magnifying glass" button doesn't take up much space, and having it at the top saves having to scroll down to the bottom.
Also, more importantly, it provides a simple, quick way to see all your folders, regardless of what "show in sidebar" setting you have set for each of them. Previously we had to delve into the settings to do that. This is much better.

Last edited by Grhm : 1 Apr 2024 at 01:12 AM.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2024, 01:12 AM   #22
Grhm
Essential Contributor

On a related point, I do wish they would bring back those little [<<] "Move to this folder" buttons, so we can move things directly to a folder in the sidebar rather than having to navigate to the folder using the [Move to] menu. It wouldn't use up any screen space, because it could be added to the menu that comes up when you click on the three dots next to the folder.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2024, 06:25 AM   #23
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Mail can be moved to a folder be dragging it with the mouse to the folder in the sidebar (also copied if one holds the alt key while dropping the message in the folder). This can only be done from the list of messages, not form the message itself. It would have been better if in the message view screen there was something to grab in order to drag the message to a folder (that would have made it possible to copy a message to a folder without having to go back to the message list). Usually when I want to file a message in multiple folders I click in the search box and choose the sender, t get a search that includes the message. then I drag it to all the folder where I want it.
Anyway I like the folder search icon on the top because reaching the bottom of my folder list requires a lot of scrolling (typing g also opens the folder search box but often I am using a keyboard that has no small g so I cannot use it that way without a lot of keyboard switching).
Old 1 Apr 2024, 07:03 AM   #24
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I also like having the folder search and new folder buttons at the top where they are easy to find, since I have a lot of folders. I have three devices where I’m using Fastmail - an iPhone, iPad (with Bluetooth keyboard), and Windows PC with of course both a keyboard and mouse. Keyboard shortcuts are often best for me, especially for devices without a mouse, so I’m very used to using “g” for finding a folder and “/“ for an email search.

With respect to moving messages, I have two Fastmail accounts and have one normally set to Labels mode and the other to Folders mode. The keyboard shortcuts “m” (move) and “l” (labels) work well for me, and when a message is open the “Move to” or “Labels” control at the top right are all I need. I find that it’s easier to let the folder/label search find the folder rather then scrolling through a long list of folders and dragging with the mouse (which isn’t available on the iOS devices).

When adding or removing multiple labels with the keyboard, you can use your up and down arrows to move through your expanded label list, then the Return key marks/unmark toggles that label. The space bar move up to the top (Inbox) and CTL-return (command-return on an iOS Bluetooth keyboard) closes the label choice dialog.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2024, 12:30 PM   #25
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I hate it, I wonder if a stylus script would remove it.
Shame I cant un-pin it.

It looks like back to Thunderbird until I get use to it....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2024, 04:32 PM   #26
nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Not sure why you say it's stupid. I was a bit nonplussed by the change at first, but now I'm used to it, I think it's an improvement. That little "magnifying glass" button doesn't take up much space, and having it at the top saves having to scroll down to the bottom.
Also, more importantly, it provides a simple, quick way to see all your folders, regardless of what "show in sidebar" setting you have set for each of them. Previously we had to delve into the settings to do that. This is much better.

Agreed, that's my experience as well.

Somewhat related: When in the Folders Settings window, clicking on a folder name is equivalent to hitting the Edit button. I'd rather clicking on the folder name exited Folder Settings and took me to the clicked folder.

nudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2024, 04:43 PM   #27
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Ideally there would not be a folders setting screen and all settings would be editable right where they are used, with the effects seen immediately. The same applies to most other interface settings: the natural place to change them is were the results are seen immediately.
Old 3 Apr 2024, 07:24 AM   #28
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

If you have a lot of folders its a long way to the top to search
Old 3 Apr 2024, 07:26 AM   #29
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Actually now in beta the search button (the magnifying glass icon) is in the first line after the last system folder...
Old 3 Apr 2024, 12:14 PM   #30
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Actually now in beta the search button (the magnifying glass icon) is in the first line after the last system folder...
Thank you....