EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 12 Nov 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

Question Pobox or Personal Domain?

As I sit here at my computer continuing to be frustrated with my lack of ability to receive ANY of my normal emails, I am thinking I must prevent myself from being in this situation ever again. While Fastmail will likely be in my future in some form or fashion, it will NOT be my sole email service.

I'm trying to decide between having a pobox account and being able to direct email to different email servers, or having a personal domain and basically being able to do the same thing.

What are the pros and cons of each alternative? I'd be interested in reading some opinions. It will also take my mind off this #$%@!# outage!

Thanks,
CS
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Nov 2005, 12:18 AM   #2
ankupan
Cornerstone of the Community

I am having my personal two domains. now I am getting spam, so Just I have signup for pobox.com and now I am relex and you may be.
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2005, 12:28 AM   #3
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

I just registered a personal domain at GoDaddy, and paid a few dollars more to make it private. Hopefully that will reduce the amount of spam I'll receive.

Obviously, I'm leaning strongly towards a personal domain rather than pobox.

CS
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2005, 01:24 AM   #4
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by ankupan
I am having my personal two domains. now I am getting spam, so Just I have signup for pobox.com and now I am relex and you may be.
Obviously you're mis-managing your addresses then, because I have a personal domain for mail and by using sequential subdomains and addresses, I never get spam. Once you find yourself fighting spam at the mail server level (your mail server that is), you've already lost the battles. My system is unstoppable because addresses that are spammed are simply deleted and created anew, new cryptics in them so the spammers can't guess the address. So don't blame your spam problems on your domain entirely. You could be stopping it altogether, without paying POBox either.

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2005, 02:02 AM   #5
PenPen

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Once you find yourself fighting spam at the mail server level (your mail server that is), you've already lost the battles.
Well said!
PenPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2005, 02:29 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Pobox or Personal Domain?

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSaint
As I sit here at my computer continuing to be frustrated with my lack of ability to receive ANY of my normal emails, I am thinking I must prevent myself from being in this situation ever again. While Fastmail will likely be in my future in some form or fashion, it will NOT be my sole email service.
CyberSaint: If money was not an issue I would host my own domain name here:

http://fauxbox.com/

And get the best of both worlds. Fauxbox are part and parcel of Pobox.com (although they don't advertise that as much as they used to)

You get to use Pobox forwarding, in conjunction with using your your domain name - it is a tad expensive though.

You don't need to register your domain with Fauxbox - they will allow you to point your MX record at them if you wish.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2005, 06:14 AM   #7
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
What they should do is automate the system to completely rid themselves of the setup fees. Then then they need to give their website a facelift and a new look (it looks like something out of the late 90s ) and I think they could have quite a following.

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2005, 02:39 AM   #8
hbwood

I'm beta-testing a new Pobox + personal domain service right now. It's pretty much just Pobox at your own domain name, but that's pretty awesome in my book. Not sure when it's going to be ready, though.
hbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2005, 02:54 AM   #9
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by hbwood
I'm beta-testing a new Pobox + personal domain service right now. It's pretty much just Pobox at your own domain name, but that's pretty awesome in my book. Not sure when it's going to be ready, though.
Is this an improvement to the:

http://fauxbox.com/ service hbwood?

As a loyal Pobox user, I admit to feeling a bit left out I was not aware of this
Old 15 Nov 2005, 03:31 AM   #10
hbwood

It's just an add-in to Pobox, as far as I know. But ask Pobox support -- Kate there has always been really helpful when I've talked to her.
hbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2005, 04:14 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by hbwood
It's just an add-in to Pobox, as far as I know. But ask Pobox support -- Kate there has always been really helpful when I've talked to her.
Okay - Thanks. Welcome to the forums by the way.