EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 May 2017, 05:57 AM   #1
rabarberski
Master of the @

restore fastmail notes?

My girlfriend found here Fastmail Notes gone. Unfortunately, she isn't sure how that happened.
There's one specific note that she would like to get back.

Following the information in this post (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=57601) I tried the automatic restore feature (https://www.fastmail.com/settings/restore) in here account, but no notes or notes folder that appears.
My girlfriend is pretty sure she used the note about 2-3 weeks ago.So, it is possible it was accidentally deleted around that time, which is more than the 7 day retention time mentioned on the restore page.

However, just to be sure: will/should the notes appear when doing an automatic restore, or not?
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 May 2017, 07:29 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
However, just to be sure: will/should the notes appear when doing an automatic restore, or not?
Unless there have been recent changes that change the behavior of the Restore from Backup, the Notes folder should appear in the hierarchy of restored files if there were recently deleted notes. Is it possible that your girlfriend neglected to tell you promptly that the notes were gone? The restore is only guaranteed to give you back items deleted within the last 7 days.

One desperate thing to check if the notes were deleted over 1-2 weeks ago ... Is there an external IMAP mail client, such as Thunderbird, that has been used in the past but not recently? If so, disable your network connection, and then open the mail client. Hopefully, the Notes folder will be there, and you can save them to a local folder before connecting back to the network.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 09:19 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

As far as I know, the backup cleanup is still performed one time a week for each account. On my main account it used to be performed every Sunday. At that time, all content changed longer ago than one week is removed from the backup system. So depending on when you perform the restore, the oldest items in the restore will be somewhere between one and two weeks old. BritTim has some good suggestions.

After a restore, only folders containing messages which were "permanently" deleted (and temporary saves of drafts) are restored. Notes are restored to the "Notes" folder. You must refresh the folder tree (such as going to the Create or Edit Folders screen) to see the restored messages and notes.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 04:28 PM   #4
rabarberski
Master of the @

Bill, BRitTim,

Thanks for both your answers.
I already did the "Create or Edit Folders" refresh thing. I am afraid the note was deleted more that 7 days ago.

I also checked my daily IMAP backup (using offlineimap tool in combination with mercurial version control). Unfortunately, I now noticed that I excluded also the "Notes" folder from being backed up in my offlineimaprc file :-(

Code:
folderfilter = lambda foldername: not re.search('(Trash|Drafts|Junk|Notes)',foldername)
The irony is that for my fastmail account, I DO backup the Notes folder (rather accidentally; but nonetheless good to confirm); where for my girlfriend I do not.
Lesson learned.

I am afraid there is no further way to retrieve it...

Last edited by rabarberski : 10 May 2017 at 04:37 PM.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its a shame the deleted notes don't go in the mailbox trash folder.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote