EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 31 May 2021, 11:00 PM   #1
trussrod

Battle of the giants: Gmail vs Outlook.com?

Hello,

Which one do you prefer and why? And how would you compare the Microsoft Personal Outlook.com Premium vs Gmail with Google One?
trussrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jun 2021, 05:58 AM   #2
ankupan
Cornerstone of the Community

I am using both.

If you need just email then Gmail is good.

If you are dealing more and more with docs then Outlook.com Premium is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussrod View Post
Hello,

Which one do you prefer and why? And how would you compare the Microsoft Personal Outlook.com Premium vs Gmail with Google One?
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2021, 07:46 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Gmail is by far better at the email part of things. Better spam filtering, better search, more reliable. Outlook seems to have an outage every week lately. Online Office is excellent on Outlook.com, and probably better for many people. I personally like Google Docs and Drive, but it has its quirks and problems. I also like Google's calendar and notes (Keep) better.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2021, 06:08 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Gmail is by far better at the email part of things. Better spam filtering,
I have no experience of outlook.com's spam filtering, but IMHO Google's default settings are on the too aggressive side: too many false positives. OTOH manual tuning/filtering is a doddle.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2021, 06:43 PM   #5
chrisretusn

I agree with @TenFour regarding gmail and spam filtering. Gmail in my experience much better than Outlook. I have one Gmail account.

I have three Outlook accounts and with all three I constantly battle with good emails ending up in Junk, even after selecting Not Junk. The same emails kept going in to Junk. I had to add those senders to Contacts or Safe List.

With Gmail, reporting not spam seem to work, I rarely get good messages in spam now.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2021, 09:37 PM   #6
emoore
Essential Contributor

Gmail. Outlook periodically has interoperability problems with Thunderbird while the Thunderbird developers explicitly go out of their way to support Gmail due to its popularity.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2021, 11:38 PM   #7
ioneja

Neither. I don't mean to be facetious, but I don't and can't recommend either service. Having said that, I do have accounts at both since I have to collaborate with some clients who have to use them due to their IT departments or CEO or for other reasons, but I'm not happy about it and I rarely if ever use those services, except under risk of losing a client.

If you absolutely have to choose between the two, though, I'd choose... drum roll.... neither. Just spend the money and get FastMail, Runbox, ProtonMail, Tutanota, or one of the many other great options listed in this forum. There are plenty of good paid options that will match any of your specific needs.

BUT if I had a gun to my head and I had to choose one or the other, okay, so I'd choose Microsoft. Why? They are not quite as adept at profiling you as Google is, and are obviously separate from the giant Google processing machine and all their many entities, so by choosing Microsoft, you isolate by one small degree of separation some of your content.

But really, neither. Too many reasons why.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote