EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jan 2022, 05:52 AM   #1
hydrostarr

Question Automated ways to move 50+ IMAP-served sibling folders/labels to their parent?

In Fastmail, is there some more-efficient or automated way(s) to move 50, 100, or more IMAP-served sibling folders/labels to their parent (folder/label)? Even if it's not Fastmail-specific?

I suspect there's not, but before I go write my own impasync-based script/automation or something similar, I thought I'd ask here first.

(I've experienced that Fastmail.com's techsupport to not be strong; granted, all my issues are ones that are not "typical." Even after blowing through to higher levels of support that often takes a week or two, I tend to experience less-thoughtful, "pre packaged" answers/replies that do not solve my problems or offer much empathy for the issues. Granted: trying to get such things from a large(r) company is indeed a tall order; I can no longer reach a John-Capo-who-is-the-owner-and-one-stop-shop-tech-support-capable person directly like I could as a Tuffmail.net user--which was a wonderful experience. For Fastmail: I've logged 5 or so tickets thus far. Given my current challenging experiences, I'm starting here first.)

Last edited by hydrostarr : 31 Jan 2022 at 02:09 AM. Reason: s/Tuffmail's techsupport/Fastmail.com's techsupport/
hydrostarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jan 2022, 06:29 AM   #2
hydrostarr

Thunderbird v91.5.1 "drag and drop" trials

Results of Thunderbird v91.5.1 (on macOS 10.14.6) "drag and drop" trials:

Single-folder drag-and-drops work... okay. And it does not seem to generate a re-download of the emails in any dragged-and-dropped folder. It is a little clunky and does not always work; success rate (of actually moving) is 80%, in my super-limited testing thus far.

Dragging-and-dropping _multiple_ folders: not so good. Usually only moves a couple of the intended folders, then the app (Thunderbird) gets "stuck" and moves no longer work _at all_ unless you restart the app.

Thus far, Thunderbird is not an attractive for moving 10's or 100's of folders around in an IMAP folder structure. It would take quite a long time of not-very-responsive (Thunderbird GUI/UX) dragging-and-dropping of folders.
Old 30 Jan 2022, 09:07 PM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostarr View Post

(I've experienced that Tuffmail's techsupport to not be strong...
Do you mean FastMail?

If so, have you read: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=78940
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2022, 02:42 AM   #4
hydrostarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Do you mean FastMail?

If so, have you read: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=78940
I did indeed (mean Fastmail, instead of Tuffmail). I've corrected my post. Thanks for highlighting.

Even better: big big thanks Jeremy for the pointer to the above Fastmail-support-challenges thread. I added a question to said thread here:
https://www.emaildiscussions.com/sho...652#post624652

Last edited by hydrostarr : 31 Jan 2022 at 02:48 AM.
Old 6 Feb 2022, 03:44 AM   #5
hydrostarr

Thumbs up

Mail.app on macOS 10.14.6 is showing initial promise (for these mass-IMAP-folder move(s)). Better than Thunderbird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostarr View Post
In Fastmail, is there some more-efficient or automated way(s) to move 50, 100, or more IMAP-served sibling folders/labels to their parent (folder/label)? Even if it's not Fastmail-specific?
Old 6 Feb 2022, 05:25 AM   #6
hydrostarr

Thumbs up Programming modules to perform an IMAP rename

Additionally: here's a Perl-based module to rename an IMAP folder:

https://metacpan.org/pod/Mail::IMAPClient#rename

I'm sure there's others. If I were writing the script I'd probably prefer a Python or Rust module/API/gizmo to do this.