EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 8 Sep 2023, 06:17 PM   #1
truemagic

Question Mailvelope help needed

I'm sure a number of you are using Mailvelope and I just recently started to use it mainly to decrypt messages forwarded to my main mailbox via AnonAddy/SimpleLogin (PGP).

When I use the private key to decrypt the messages on my mobile (say FairEmail client) then it's fine I can read the message including remote images.

On the other hand if I decrypt it with the Mailvelope extension (chrome) on RoundCube the content is decrypted properly however with broken remote images. This is rather weird considering I can right click on the broken image "Open image in a new tab" and the image can be displayed on another tab without any problem.

Also I can view the emails with remote images without encryption in RoundCube just in case you're wondering and the "Allow remote resources (images, styles)" is set to "always" in the RoundCube settings.

Anybody using Mailvelope extension can decrypt their emails with remote images using RoundCube, or is this a known bug?
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Sep 2023, 07:05 AM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

There should be an "About" icon somewhere in your Roundcube (where will depend on which theme you're using) which will tell you the version of Roundcube in use and the versions of each extension.

If any RC user is able to do what you're doing, you'll need to know if they have the same versions.

Also, ISTR that there's Mailvelope settings in RC's Settings - Preferences - Encryption. I don't see them because the RC I use doesn't have the extension loaded by the mail-provider.

You might also be better asking on the Roundcube (developers/users) forum or looking at their issue tracker:

https://www.roundcubeforum.net/index.php

- lots of uninformed-user requests here, though

Issues:

https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2023, 01:08 PM   #3
truemagic

@JeremyNicoll thanks for your reply.

After some more research I found out that's the "intended" behavior (at least from what I think). Because the community version of Mailvelope offers only PGP and the business version offers PGP/MIME (source). Also from Google (source):

PGP
It is designed for processing the plain texts

PGP/MIME
While it is designed to process email as well as many multimedia files.

Guess I'm out of luck and should stick to reading text based PGP decrypted emails (on web browser) for now.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2023, 04:05 PM   #4
AydenMurphy

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.
AydenMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2023, 01:02 AM   #5
ReuvenNY

Moderator's comment

This forum is vigilant when it comes to spamming. AydenMurphy and everyone else with malevolent spamming ideas - keep that in mind.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote