EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Apr 2024, 04:56 AM   #1
Gankaku

Interface Change?

Today I've logged into the computer (haven't use the computer for my email for...a month?) and there are very distracting thick lines between each email. It was so nice before and easy to read, and now all I can see are lines between each email. It's not easy to visually scan down the page or anything. My folders on the left are looking fine. Is there something that changed? I looked into Settings but didn't see that I needed to change anything. I really need it back like it was before.

Last edited by Gankaku : 16 Apr 2024 at 05:42 AM.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Apr 2024, 06:45 AM   #2
Gankaku

Here is what it looks like, across all browsers for me. I want my very thin lines back!

[Link deleted at request of fastmail user whose address appears therein. The description of the issue will have to suffice.]

Last edited by JeffK : 16 Apr 2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 16 Apr 2024, 08:17 AM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

It may be related to your style sheet.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2024, 11:46 AM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I also do not see this (admittedly horrible) change.
I think you will need to use the browser's developer tools to see where the thicker separator is coming from (probably CSS somewhere).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2024, 01:30 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Fastmail has a wide range of themes you can change at Settings>Display options. It appears to me that you are using a dark theme (or have "Switch light/dark to match system" enabled).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2024, 02:12 PM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps the new Folders thing has broken something
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2024, 08:39 AM   #7
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Fastmail has a wide range of themes you can change at Settings>Display options. It appears to me that you are using a dark theme (or have "Switch light/dark to match system" enabled).

Bill
I only saw a few themes. I AM using the dark theme - but it was on before and it was really nice looking. How are you seeing a "wide" range of themes?

I can't imagine that it's the CSS - I would have to fix things in Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi, etc. That can't be right.

I also apologize for the image. I removed the poster's name from the image, but was told that it included their email address. I do apologize that I didn't see that.
Old 17 Apr 2024, 11:11 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
I only saw a few themes. I AM using the dark theme - but it was on before and it was really nice looking. How are you seeing a "wide" range of themes?...
I don't see any changes over the past month in the appearance of my Fastmail accounts, viewed on my Windows PC in Firefox. iPad using the DuckDuckGo browser or the iPadOS Fastmail app, or on my iPhone using the iOS Fastmail app. If you didn't change anything in your browser or PC display settings, these new Fastmail features might be causing some confusion if you don't know they have changed:
  • First, the width you have set for the message listing portion of the screen changes it's appearance. In some cases this changes based on the screen resolution, text size (CTL+ and CTL- and CTL0 on a PC with most browsers), and browser overall window width.
  • With some message listing widths, you will see three columns (From sender, Subject, and Date/Time). If you squeeze the message listing narrower, this changes to show two columns, with the From sender on a line above the Subject and the Date/Time to the right.
  • You can change the message listing column width by slowing moving your mouse over the left edge (if it's visible) of the column or the right edge of the column until the change width icon appears (green horizontal arrow for me) and then clicking and dragging that edge to change the column width.
  • There is a new icon near the upper left, to the right of "Mail". If you mouse-over that icon, you can see it allows you to show or hide the left sidebar (folder/label list).
  • There is also a similar sidebar icon on the far upper right. If the right sidebar is active it may sit tiled on the screen to the right of the message list or reading pane, or if the sidebar is wider it may slide over to cover up part of the message list or reading pane. You can drag horizontally the left edge of the right sidebar to change it's width. At the top of the right sidebar you can choose to show your Fastmail Calendar, People (Sender and Recipients in the selected message if In conversation is selected, or all or part of your Contacts), Attachments of the selected message, or New features of the Fastmail user interface).
In Settings>Display options>Theme:
  • You can set the Appearance to Light or Dark, or switch light/dark based on the operating system settings.
  • Change the color to one of four preset themes.
  • Use a custom theme, where you can change the light mode and dark mode header and accent.
  • Change the Button style between Modern and Bold.
  • Change the Display name in the upper left corner of the page.
In Accessibility:
  • Change the text size (Standard or Large), the User Interface Font (Proxima Nova or System), use a monospaced font for plain text, and enable keyboard shortcuts (not a display feature).
In Mail:
  • Show or hide the reading pane, choose whether to use threads (group messages with their replies) or show messages separately, and a couple of other settings.
  • In Show advanced preferences, you can choose to view messages in Rich text or Plain text and a few other settings.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2024, 12:26 AM   #9
kaigan

Lurker here coming out of the shadows. Sounds like an issue I had. The culprit in my case was the browser extension "Dark Reader".

I fixed the issue by adding Fastmail to the ignore list and everything returned to normal. The easy way to add Fastmail to the ignore list is to login and then open the extension. With the extension open, click on the box with the url in it and the checkmark will change to an 'x'. Now Fastmail is in the ignore list and the site should look normal again.

Hope this helps.

Peter
kaigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2024, 06:20 AM   #10
Bamb0
Master of the @

Nice to see your first post Peter

I hope this helps her.......
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote