EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 10 Mar 2021, 08:31 PM   #16
digp
Master of the @

I received an inane response.

I did follow it up.

They seem to pick and choose what support emails they reply to.

I get it is a $12 a year service but I would pay $20-25 to get a better service.

I have added a new user to an old FM account and so now have IMAP email on my phone using the basic FM account and have it set to fetch email from other providers now.

I will keep the mailo account as a free account in the hope it improves.

I was really unimpressed with IMAP too.

I found it slow, opening an email on the phone, I could see the icon telling me to wait while it loaded. Fastmail experience is totally different to this.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2021, 08:42 PM   #17
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
I'm also thinking about leaving Fastmail. Care to share what other email providers you considered and why you rejected them?
I have been able to add a user to a grandfathered account so can use that.

Email is very important as it is used for correspondence with government etc and so it needs to be reliable for me.

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount extra to ensure good service.

I don't appreciate being taken for a ride.

I considered all the usual providers:

Protonmail - no IMAP, also expensive. Gimmick email provider as I see it.

Mailbox.org - was closed to sign ups when I checked so could not sign up, I have since signed up for a trial, but will let it expire as I don't need it anymore.

Mailo - trial account for two months paid for, will not renew it (Can't see how to cancel and move to free tier), is missing features and support did not seem keen by just saying we don't have that feature

Startmail - too expensive, might as well pay a bit more for FM if I am going to want to use startmail. Did not try trial as they want your card details, no thanks.

gmail - can't get my username, if only they opened it to the other domains they had e.g. gmail.us

Office 365 - junk email filter wrongly classifies mail, could easily miss important emails

Gmail paid - cheaper I think to have a basic account with FM, so why bother

Purelymail - I have an account but don't use it, it is in beta and I don't like the domain

MXroute - nah

Shared hosting provider - email is not encrypted at rest, but for that I would not need any paid provider beyond the webhost which is very reliable

Gandi email - unreliable and forwarding is flaky
Old 11 Mar 2021, 04:52 AM   #18
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Can you explain why you call Protonmail a "gimmick email provider"?

I've been using them for a 7 or 8 months now, and very satisfied. I like their interface, their privacy-focus, ...
I actually need a mailbox soon where I will receive some more important stuff, so I need a secure mailbox with 2FA. I am considering to not open a new mailbox but use my Protonmail account for that instead. I'm happy with their service.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2021, 06:55 AM   #19
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

My experience with mailo: huge email delays for sent emails, from 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
alexu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2021, 12:39 AM   #20
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Can you explain why you call Protonmail a "gimmick email provider"?
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/...s_laid_out_in/

Last edited by digp : 12 Mar 2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 12:32 AM   #21
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpn View Post
Did you try to contact them just in case that this is a temporary glitch?
They pick and choose what support emails they reply to.
Old 19 Mar 2021, 02:54 AM   #22
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I checked that discussion, but it dates from about 5 years ago, and the responses to the opening post say that Protonmail is secure, or at least no less secure than any other Java-based provider. One of the people responding to the opening post even said it's no less secure than HTTP.

But the discussion is several years old.

Protonmail does have a strong reputation when it comes to reliability and security, I would assume you don't get such reputation when you didn't earn it.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2021, 12:26 PM   #23
OneTrickPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Is anyone using this?

Looking for an alternative since Fastmail took basic app support away from basic package. thanks.
I do like Mailo(been with them since they were Netcourrier around 2014). It works and their app is solid. They also have aliases just like FM.

I would also suggest Zoho. Fastmail is my personal favorite, but Zoho is #2 while Mailo is #3 for me. Zoho's app is very sleek and it does have premium set at $12/year (same as Mailo).

If you're using it for your own domain, I can also say zoho is much, much better than mailo. While I haven't tried to route my domain's email to their service in 5-6 years, it used to be awful while zoho was very easy to set up. If you're planning use @mailo addresses, the gap closes and it's probably not a huge difference either way.

Mailo can have a send lag, while Zoho can have an overly aggressive spam filter and you never get an email at all.

Neither of them have filters as advanced as Fastmail, but Zoho has more complex email filtering rules if you care about that.
OneTrickPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2021, 11:38 AM   #24
Csin

Quote:
Is anyone using this?

Looking for an alternative since Fastmail took basic app support away from basic package. thanks.
I been using it for nearly two years. Mailo started out right, but has since began to stumble a bit with their privacy policy, at least for free accounts. I only use the account for forums, and to send shopping reminders to yopmail, so not a huge deal. What can you expect for free? Still waaaay better than the LilBro wannabes (Gmail, Ymail, Live.com, etc.).

I don't use apps, nor trust them, so I got no clue on that. The only paid email I now use is posteo.net, which replaced my favorite email service (bluebottle), but if they ever go belly up, I would move on to https://lavabit.com/signup.html without hesitation. The price is decent, and the guy has a proven track record of not being a wussy for BigBro. Other than this, I've heard good things about~ https://restoreprivacy.com/email/reviews/ctemplar/. Unfortunately, for the free account you have to fool with getting an invite, and I don't really need it that bad!
Csin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2021, 12:58 PM   #25
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csin View Post
I been using it for nearly two years. Mailo started out right, but has since began to stumble a bit with their privacy policy, at least for free accounts. I only use the account for forums, and to send shopping reminders to yopmail, so not a huge deal. What can you expect for free? Still waaaay better than the LilBro wannabes (Gmail, Ymail, Live.com, etc.).

I don't use apps, nor trust them, so I got no clue on that. The only paid email I now use is posteo.net, which replaced my favorite email service (bluebottle), but if they ever go belly up, I would move on to https://lavabit.com/signup.html without hesitation. The price is decent, and the guy has a proven track record of not being a wussy for BigBro. Other than this, I've heard good things about~ https://restoreprivacy.com/email/reviews/ctemplar/. Unfortunately, for the free account you have to fool with getting an invite, and I don't really need it that bad!
If you just want a free forwarding, my pubbox.net is solid enough.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 04:54 AM   #26
Csin

RE: Mailo

Quote:
Is anyone using this?

Never did like Fastmail even when it was free. Same problem as with VFEmail. Both providers complexified their email to the point of being useless.

I've not tried the other two providers you mentioned.
Csin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:08 PM   #27
Bamb0
Master of the @

Ya when fastmail still has the orginal (classic) interface it was goregous........

They at 1 point said they were not gonna stop the orginal interface...... Sadly something happend (Must have changed hands) and they did away with it.... Thats when I left..
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote