EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Aug 2008, 09:39 PM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
IN.com: short email address

Just found a new freemail provider appeared, in.com, who provides large spaces with short domain name. The web interface seems good.
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Aug 2008, 10:12 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

An unusual feature of the signup screen: you don't ask for a specific userid, you give your first name & surname, and are presented with a few ids based on these. Of course if you say your name =Dragon and surname=Slayer it's likely you'll get dragonslayer @ in.com (if that's your wish...)
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Merovingian
Master of the @

thanks, jeffpan! just got my preferred ID. We'll see how it is from here.....
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 11:46 PM   #4
Merovingian
Master of the @

have registered, logged in, and have sent three messages from my in.com, and two to my in.com account.

I have yet to see any of them appear anywhere...
Old 24 Aug 2008, 12:50 AM   #5
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
An unusual feature of the signup screen: you don't ask for a specific userid, you give your first name & surname, and are presented with a few ids based on these.
Offhand I can think of only one other email service I've used which does it the same way, that being Laposte.net. Although I don't use them very much, I currently have three laposte.net accounts, the latter two opened after the first became one of my most heavily spammed email addreses, probably thanks mainly to having both a very common first and last name. For the more recently-opened accounts, I gave them slight variations on my real name, not nearly so "common", which the spammers haven't yet seemed to have "discovered" at all, as of perhaps a year or two after opening them.

But, based on Merovingian's experience with the service thus far, I'm not sure I'm going to bother with this one.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 01:58 AM   #6
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I sign up, logged in and sent and received mail promptly. Noticed the service in beta now according to a small " Beta" at top right of interface. Ten Gigs of storage should be enough for most users.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 04:24 PM   #7
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Question In.com

I mentioned In.com on another post not related to In.com itself. I registered for an account, got it, used it, and have failed to receive one email sent to the account from a wide variety of alternate email addresses. Sending from In.com has resulted in either total failure to receive mail at the other end or a rejection from the recipient box blacklisting In.com as a suspected spamming domain. Although in beta, In.com's basic and fundamental send and receive functions should already have been ironed out before going public. I will give In.com a little longer before referring it to others or passing it along to contacts considering the number of other big promises many other free email providers have made about big storage and other grand options. In.com appears to be a knock off of Rediff.com without (as yet) the numerous bothersome ads, pop-ups, spam, and redirects that made me finally leave Rediff behind.

Hopefully In.com, if it ever gets working, will not emulate Rediff's business model which would render it useless to me. Furthermore, if it is anything like the infamous Indyamail, then it will be worse than useless. I would have recommended this new service had it worked as advertised but since it didn't, neither did I.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Looks interesting thank you
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Merovingian
Master of the @

Update on my experience. I've had most test messages sent and/or received rather quickly. However I also have set up a filter for forwarding anything that is addressed to my @in.com address, however there has not been one single message that I have received that has been forwarded.

At least they are sending and receiving messages somewhat consistently now...
Old 27 Aug 2008, 11:47 PM   #10
curvefan
Essential Contributor

jeffpan, Thank you.

I also got my preferred name. I sent test emails to and from this account and all arrived very fast.

It has a nice gui and is pretty simple to navigate.

I had a little trouble setting up a filter because I couldn't find the location to start setting it up. You have to click on organize in the left hand panel and go from there. I was clicking on settings and I couldn't set anything up that way.

I like the fact that there are no tag lines or ads in outgoing mail. And of course lots of space and very simple name to remember.

Is there any way to access this using pop or imap?

Thanks again.
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 04:46 AM   #11
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Although I had initially decided not to bother with this one, based on Merovingian's experience with it (although, in fact, I had originally come to the same decision for similar reasons based on KoE's experience reported in an earlier thread, but had completely forgotten about it until I was reminded of it above in this thread), based on sheprd's contrasting experience reported here, I decided to give it a look after all.

Although I can't say I've tested it anywhere near thoroughly, of the 2 or 3 messages I've sent to and from my in.com address, all arrived promptly at their destinations except the first message I sent from the in.com account, which was the attempted forwarding of the introductory message from the service to an Earthlink.net address, the latter of which is supposed to forward to several other addresses. But as that is the only message which never arrived anywhere, I'm more than willing to blame Earthlink entirely for that, rather than in.com, since my experience is that Earthlink's email service has deteriorated badly since I first began using it frequently, seeming to have a ridiculously high rate of silent discards of legitimate messages lately, such that I've begun to trust it about as much as I do Hotmail. Hence, I've stopped using it for my more important personal messages, whereas it was once one of the services I trusted most for them.

However, I've also had the same experience as Merovingian with the filters. That is, thus far I haven't been able to make forwarding through a filter work. I haven't tried any other filtering actions, so I don't know whether the filters are completely nonfunctional at this point or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. But I think that's a badly setup part of the interface anyway, as curvefan suggested.

In short, although most of my few test messages were received, and those which were were received promptly, my general impression is that this service still has a way to go before being ready for "serious" use.

Last edited by xmailer : 28 Aug 2008 at 10:13 PM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 06:19 PM   #12
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Lightbulb In.com

Just received first email sent to In.com after 6 previous attempts.Obviously the system was not fully operational when I began testing it. Usually I leave an email service after repeated periods of failure unless it starts to improve and stabilize. Hopefully this one has. In.com looks like Rediff in appearance, but I hope this service does not do what Rediff did and have redirects, pop-ups, banner ads, spam, limited user options, and an unreasonably short requisite login period. I only wish they allowed single character or first and last initial user names. That would really be short and convenient but email services no longer offer that option for some reason.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote