EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 10 Jul 2006, 06:44 AM   #241
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
... a Pascal-to-HTML converter ...
Actually Pascal source to HTML...
I was wondering how you can translate a procedural programming language to a (hyper)text markup language until I read the readme.txt file. (I was hoping for something that can take my old turbo Pascal 2 source I wrote in the 80's and make them into HTML+javascript that runs within a web browser...)
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2006, 04:47 PM   #242
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

QJot

A while back I was looking for something small that would open WordPerfect files. In the process I discovered QJot, a cool mini word processor for Word, WordPerfect, and Rich Text (.rtf) files. It appears to be based on the same code as PolySoft's now-defunct freeware word processor Crypt Edit. No spellchecker or thesaurus but a full installation is only 650KB. If you have an old notebook or other system with minimal hard drive space, give it a try.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2006, 05:48 AM   #243
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
Actually Pascal source to HTML...
I was wondering how you can translate a procedural programming language to a (hyper)text markup language until I read the readme.txt file. (I was hoping for something that can take my old turbo Pascal 2 source I wrote in the 80's and make them into HTML+javascript that runs within a web browser...)
What you were looking for would be a Pascal-to-Java converter, which I admit would be pretty useful to have...

My Pascal-to-HTML converter is handy for converting Pascal (plain text) to marked-up text which can be taken into a word-processor for formatting and neat printing.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2006, 06:34 AM   #244
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Speaking of the above, has Free Pascal been mentioned here yet?

One thing to beware of, the compiler and the documentation need to be downloaded separately, so it's two downloads...
Old 8 Oct 2006, 07:59 AM   #245
reddartfrog

Talking Two Email Formatting Utilities

I am active on several email lists. I have found two freeware programs very useful for preparing text files and emails to be forwarded to these lists,

eCleaner Home Page
http://ecleaner.tripod.com/

eWrapper 2
http://ewrapper.org/ewrapper2.shtml
reddartfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2006, 03:45 AM   #246
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Talking Cute desktop toy!

Neko for Windows is a cute little cat (16x16 pixels, I think) who chases your mouse pointer (what else would a virtual cat do?).

You can have more than one creature, and they can have different behaviours; I usually have a calico cat pacing around the screen edges, and a black one running around randomly, as well as the default one.  Any or all of them can leave a trail of pawprints; and if you get fed up with muddy pawprints all over your nice clean icons, just Refresh your desktop to get rid of them!

BTW, Neko is Japanese for "cat".  (The above link is to a mirror site; both the original home site and the new one are long-dead, so sadly I don't know where anyone can get the libraries for the non-default cat/dog/etc. images.)
Old 30 Nov 2006, 02:38 AM   #247
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I've recently bought a 1Gb pen drive for less than the price of the 512Mb CF card I bought earlier this year, and thus discovered that the manufacturer (Buffalo Technology) have a drive-locker available for free download.

Of course, it's only supported if used in conjunction with a Buffalo product; but it's available for at-your-own-risk use to everybody...
Old 30 Nov 2006, 07:10 AM   #248
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Dirkey is something I learned about through Jeremy Howard's dev blog and it makes life easier. It adds functionality to different Windows screens that are used to browse folders that allows one to specify some folders and then quickly get to them. It can be done with keyboard shortcuts or with the mouse (right clicking the "close" button on various screens such as "save/open" dialogs and the Windows explorer opens a window where a folder can be selected. It's very useful to navigate easily to the few folders I use to download/upload files to/from (browsers remember only the last time. MS Office is worse).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2007, 11:25 PM   #249
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

As the name implies, sunrisesunset.com will generate for you a page of sunrise/sunset times for one calendar month for your home town (although if it's not one of the many featured on the site, you have to know the latitude and longitude of a place in it).

The reason I mention it in this thread is that it also offers a handy little program which sits in your Windows system tray and offers sunrise/sunset and twilight information for today and tomorrow.  The page claims it to be "shareware", but it's actually freeware.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:44 PM   #250
Gankaku

I have a couple of really great little pieces of freeware; I don't know if it's posted anywhere else or not. My contribution to you all for not showing up here in half a year. :P

FastStone Capture - this is a little screen capture tool BUT! Guess what - it captures a scrolling screen area, something you could only find in the paid SnagIt program by Techsmith. Very nice little tool. I still use Irfanview out of habit and familiarity (I discovered it here from someone else's post) but I use FastStone specifically for the scrolling screen capture.

FLV Player - a new little player that lets you play Flash files on your computer. I love it - I downloaded a series of anime from YouTube and now I can watch the episodes at my convenience (also without worry of them being removed from YouTube before I can finish the series.)

ZipGenius - I haven't used this yet - I just downloaded it last week but I like the interface and have heard rave reviews about it.

Stellarium - My fellow stargazers! Download this one. Very very cool. Turn off the day/horizon to see the stars beneath the clouds/horizon. See the constellations outlined, or the artwork that brings them to life.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:59 PM   #251
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
I have a couple of really great little pieces of freeware; I don't know if it's posted anywhere else or not. My contribution to you all for not showing up here in half a year. :P

FastStone Capture - this is a little screen capture tool BUT! Guess what - it captures a scrolling screen area, something you could only find in the paid SnagIt program by Techsmith. Very nice little tool. I still use Irfanview out of habit and familiarity (I discovered it here from someone else's post) but I use FastStone specifically for the scrolling screen capture.

You're inspired Lisa!
I downloaded this one yesterday and decided to give it a spin as i hadn't installed others yet. That scrolling feature will be very handy!

One nice and light program i can't without anymore is Find+Run Robot available here: DonationCoder

It's all JeffK's fault that i got addicted to it!
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 10:52 PM   #252
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
One nice and light program i can't without anymore is Find+Run Robot available here: DonationCoder

One look at it and it looks like a fun little util that I'd like to try. I'll be downloading this and trying it out!
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2007, 02:56 AM   #253
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
FastStone Capture
I tried that and another one a long time ago. I needed a scrolling screen capture just yesterday and when I brought up FastStone a mouse-over on the buttons didn't say anything. I think I preferred !Quick Screen shot Maker when I got them both. Used it yesterday and it worked great. If you try it can you let me know which you prefer and why?

Good to see you back and active.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2007, 03:33 AM   #254
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Unfortunately, unlike FastStone Capture (which I downloaded the installation file for some time ago, but haven't yet gotten around to installing, as I've been using another free screen capture program for the past few years, which I don't think is any longer being distributed), which I believe is "pure" freeware, Quick Screen Shot Maker appears to be only a "free trial" download. Do you happen to know what the limitation(s) is/are on the "trial" version of the program?

Edit: I'm also looking for something like the !Quick Screen Recorder described on their site, but thus far nothing I've been able to find for free or in a "limited trial" version has been quite sufficient to handle my own limited need for such a program, with my somewhat limited system (Microsoft has one for free, but I assume it's typical MS "bloatware" as it slows my system down way too much for it to be of an use) and as with the Quick Screen Shot Maker, I can't find any information at the site about what limitations the trial version has.

Last edited by xmailer : 20 Feb 2007 at 03:41 AM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2007, 04:47 AM   #255
JeffK

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
It was my pleasure.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote