EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

View Poll Results: Are you signing up for a .xyz domain?
Already got one - I lead whilst others follow! 0 0%
Heck, yeah - here's my money! 1 8.33%
No way, Jose! 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Oct 2015, 08:17 AM   #16
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Well, I may go for that one if the pricing is reasonable. I luckily already have a .com name to promote my artwork, but if the pricing is reasonable I'd register the .art variant too. Only if pricing is OK ; after all .com will still be king for the forseeable future so I already got the domain I really needed. The .art version of it would be a bonus.

I know Wikipedia isn't Always reliable but here's an (incomplete?) list of the new TLD's.

I see some potential but it will take a while for people to get used to these:
.academy (no restrictions apparently, unlike the .edu domains)
.college (idem dito)
.university (idem dito)
.voyage (no restrictions apparently, unlike .travel)
.adult
.app
.bar
.blog
.career
.chat
.cheap
.church
.club
.date
.dating
.email
.football
.jobs
.love
.media
.movie
.news
.ngo
.post
.site
.wiki
.xxx
.pub
.band

It will take a while to get accustomed to them though. Also, while I see potential in the above ones, the risk exists that the .edu domains will lose some of their value due to the new unrestricted academy-esque domains. Idem dito with the numerous adult site extentions ; 1 such extention would have been sufficient. The number of extentions for singles/dating and for real estate is quite high too ; 1 extention for each of those would have been sufficient.

There's some weird ones where I really don't see how they will possibly get any popularity.

.blackfriday
.cancerresearch (too long ... something like .med for "medical" would have been more suitable)
.kim (are we going to create a gTLD for every somewhat common name while we already have .name and .me ?)
.ninja (what's the point in this one?)
.pizza (if we need a gTLD for every type of food the list of new extentions will be endless)
.sücks (I don't think the world needs hate sites and thus such sites shouldn't be encouraged)
.vodka
.wtf
.qpon (would stand for "coupon" but I don't see this misspelling work + there's already .gift and .gifts as well)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2015, 08:20 AM   #17
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

And brands having their own domain seems silly to me as well. Will cause a lot of confusion as all these brands have been known under their .com or similar long-existing domains ...
Old 7 Jun 2021, 08:18 PM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Now that a few years have passed since the initial post and poll results, what are your current opinions on the .xyz domain?

Personally I now have 5 .xyz domains registered, and have not encountered any problems with them at all.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2021, 09:16 AM   #19
Bamb0
Master of the @

Our friend Jeff here has an email service on .xyz . The only bad thing about ".xyz" is alot of mail servers block incoming mail thinking its spam but otherwise I would say Jeffs email is the best ever!!

Merci Jeff!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2021, 08:06 PM   #20
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Anyone registered a .one domain?

Quite by chance, I was doing a search of various combinations on Porkbun this morning, and put in my initials (3 letters = first/middle/last names) and to my surprise the .one domain came up as available.

There are no restrictions on it's use, the price is (currently) cheap to register and also to renew - $7.84 per year with Porkbun.

Anyone else got a .one domain?
Old 9 Jul 2021, 04:54 AM   #21
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

.one domain

Thanks for the hint. I bought a .one domain from namecheap.com
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2021, 08:50 PM   #22
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

From wikipedia:

"As of March 2018, .one was the 49th-most registered top-level-domain on the Internet, with 65,022 registrations."

On Reddit there was a discussion about this domain if I can recall correctly, with rather negative comments. But it seems statistically, this is one of the better scoring new TLDs. While I am hesitant about registering a .one domain myself, I'd say it makes more sense than some other new extentions, including .xyz.

Except for a few (such as .art, .blog, .site, ...) I'm still not convinced by most of those new extentions. I think some have potential, but it will take a while to get people get used to those new extentions. I am still hesitant about .xyz, and it meanwhile has a spammer reputation.
Old 15 Jul 2021, 09:41 PM   #23
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've had a google for this Reddit discussion but can't find it - have you got a link?

This is worth a look:

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

From this EMD thread:

.xyz = 8% bad
.one = 1.8% bad

Tsunami likes:

.art = 3.6% bad
.blog = 2.3% bad
.site = 8% bad

To compare with:

.com = 5.2% bad
.net = 11.9% bad

How do the above statistics really relate to real life?

I get very little spam, but cannot recall it ever coming from a .xyz or .one domain.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Old 15 Jul 2021, 11:28 PM   #24
TenFour
Master of the @

I tried a .xyz domain for awhile. Had a really nice short name that I liked, but deliverability was terrible. I found that .xyz was just blocked by quite a few email providers--people never saw my email so there was no way for them to white list me or anything else. I asked around a bit and found out that .xyz was one of the worst for online abuse. That was a few years ago, so maybe things have improved. My bottom line is choosing a "normal" TLD like .com, .net. or .org is just another best practice like adding SPF, DKIM, and DMARC to your domain email. Every little bit helps with deliverability.

The Spamhaus list of abused TLDs is interesting, but that is just one service. https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

Last edited by TenFour : 15 Jul 2021 at 11:35 PM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2022, 07:26 PM   #25
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

.fyi Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Quite by chance, I was doing a search of various combinations on Porkbun this morning, and put in my initials (3 letters = first/middle/last names) and to my surprise the .one domain came up as available.
I've just discovered the existence of the .fyi domain, and managed to register my initials. The price for registering (I used Porkbun in this instance, cost $5.70 for first year) is reasonable, as is renewing.
Old 16 Feb 2022, 05:52 AM   #26
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I've had a google for this Reddit discussion but can't find it - have you got a link?

This is worth a look:

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

From this EMD thread:

.xyz = 8% bad
.one = 1.8% bad

Tsunami likes:

.art = 3.6% bad
.blog = 2.3% bad
.site = 8% bad

To compare with:

.com = 5.2% bad
.net = 11.9% bad

How do the above statistics really relate to real life?

I get very little spam, but cannot recall it ever coming from a .xyz or .one domain.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Of all new extentions, the only one I'm really tempted to get is .art.
That said, .online, .site, .blog, .photo, .global, .world are not bad either, but still I'd be more tempted to try to get a more traditional TLD such as .com, .net or .info, even if this means having to slightly alter the desired domain due to it already been taken.

The question really is how much these extentions have become familiar since I first posted in this thread. I still stand by my earlier posts, but I still see no really big usage of most of those new extentions either. So when your domain extention confuses people more than anything else, then it's better to think of another domain that is still available with .com, .net, .info or your own ccTLD.