EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 18 Mar 2021, 05:45 AM   #1
trussrod

Arrow Providers below 5Gb - are they still useful in 2021?

I've seen some providers that seem to be stuck in time, with very low storage quotas. Why are there still providers that get really expensive when you add more storage and bring nothing new to the table? I can understand if you have a privacy oriented service and it makes it expensive, but why ask so much for a simple IMAP service?
trussrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Mar 2021, 08:31 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

It's hard to imagine how these small paid providers make it when a basic Gmail account includes 15GB and all the other Googley stuff too. Unfortunately, with email providers the old adage "you get what you pay for" isn't always true in terms of bang for your buck.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2021, 03:15 PM   #3
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussrod View Post
I've seen some providers that seem to be stuck in time, with very low storage quotas. Why are there still providers that get really expensive when you add more storage and bring nothing new to the table? I can understand if you have a privacy oriented service and it makes it expensive, but why ask so much for a simple IMAP service?
My use case for such providers is as a secondary account, e.g. for receiving transactional emails.
Even few hundred MB is plenty in this case, especially when I don't need to keep all emails.
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2021, 03:31 PM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
crypto email is pretty expensive for storage. for instance, PrivateMail requires $9/m for 10GB store. Hush mail requires $50/y for 10GB.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2021, 03:33 PM   #5
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
there is also the cheap solution. for example, inbox.eu has the plan of 3EUR/Y for 100GB.
https://www.inbox.eu/en/info/personal
Old 18 Mar 2021, 04:01 PM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Who needs more? I have an (personal) email account since 1998 and now consume 3GB of storage.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2021, 04:58 PM   #7
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Who needs more? I have an (personal) email account since 1998 and now consume 3GB of storage.
I do need.
My alumni mail (powered by gmail) has been used 696GB since I left the university.
see the screenshot:
https://tls-mail.com/data/gmailstore.png
Old 18 Mar 2021, 06:00 PM   #8
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

With exception of a couple of accounts, I am still living in the POP3 world. Download and delete to my client. I don't really need an every hour or even less access to my accounts. Once per day, maybe twice is plenty.

I do check accounts from an App, just to see what has be dropped in to Junk or Spam and then most often, put those emails back in my Inbox so when I pop the account there are download.

I checked my biggest IMAP account the Inbox has 97.16 MB, the Sent folder has 43.36 MB.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2021, 06:50 PM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

A couple of times a year I clear the clutter from my email archive, and there's a lot of it! I often delete a few GBs of old email. I have also been trying to keep my Inbox cleaner by quickly deleting things after reading or after they are no longer useful. Still, I end up with things like old email reminders, sale notices, old bills, etc. that can add up to a lot of space. I periodically think about maybe just deleting all my emails older than a year, and that would probably be OK for the most part and probably a lot safer in the long run. But, on the other hand, once in awhile I still look up something 10 or more years old and find great pleasure in reading it.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2021, 08:22 PM   #10
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
My business address, jarland@mxroute.com, is currently using 325MB out of a 5GB quota.I find the person who needs more to be the exception rather than the rule.

On the subject of price, it's not all about the cost of storage. Running and maintaining mail servers takes a lot of work.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2021, 01:51 AM   #11
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
For a primary email account, I would prefer to have a couple of GB as I have the habit of never deleting any emails (exceptions exist but are rare).

For a sort of "backup account" where I forward important emails to and where I require a better security, a couple of 100 MBs is more than enough.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote