View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2021, 03:00 AM   #34
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexu2007 View Post
Protonmail is silently discarding emails. Someone sent me an email with some important documents and it never arrived at protonmail.
If it "never arrived" then they didn't discard it.

They might have rejected it at an SMTP level (ie when the sending server offered it to their server), but you'll only know that if you can get the sender to ask their mail provider for the outgoing logs showing it being rejected.

You should ask the sender to do that because they should be concerned if their service is not configured properly (eg not doing sufficent retries). Some mail services don't do any retries, or in some circumstances won't do them.

Quote:
I moved my domain from protonmail to google workspace and the email arrived in a few hours, the server retried until my domain resoved on google MXes.
Good!

Quote:
It happened before ... so I don't know why protonmail did not accept it.
The sender has to ask the sending system for its logs. If the sender isn't using a decent provider with tech support willing to dig out the logs then you'll never know.

This is the sort of thing that makes me willing to pay for email services; I /expect/ a provider to be willing to find out why things have not worked.

Last edited by JeremyNicoll : 7 Sep 2021 at 08:41 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote