View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2005, 08:46 AM   #19
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
By the way, I'm going to be in Chicago next week for a user group meeting with the iSeries computer. From what I understand, there are some great places in Chicago. Can anyone tell me of any great pizza places? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Just as a follow up — I went to a place called Connie's and had some AWESOME deep dish pizza!! This was perhaps the best tasting pizza I ever had.

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
I'm from New York. Pizza is our native food. No Domino's, Pizza Hut or any chain. No personal brick oven fired sun dried gourmet pizza for me either. I'm a very strict pizza traditionalist. In fact maybe I shouldn't even talk about it, because religion is not to be discussed on this forum. A decent NY pizza, either Neopolitan (usually round with thin crust) or occasionally Sicilian (rectangular, thick crust). Toppings can include and should be strictly limited to, onions, meatballs, sausage, mushrooms, pepperoni, olives, anchovies, peppers or any combination of same. I know someone from New Jersey who gets sushi on his pizza, but well..he's from Jersey. He's a good friend, but a pizza heathen. I don't even like the types that have sprung up in the last 20 years that are made with traditional southern Italian food..that doesn't belong on pizza..like chicken parmigiana and baked ziti. Basically, if it wasn't available in NYC in the fifties, it's not pizza to me.

For myself, Neopolitan with anchovies.

Great pizza blog:
http://www.sliceny.com/
I'd heard that Chicago and NYC are known for their pizza. Now that I've had Chicago style, I definitely want to try NYC style!!! (Your description literally has my mouth watering just reading it!!!)

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
Basically, if it wasn't available in NYC in the fifties, it's not pizza to me.
... And from the "flattery will get me everywhere department:" I see your grandmother made quite an impression on you when she told you about what kind of pizza was available in NYC in the fifties.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote