View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 2019, 01:44 AM   #10
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
It seems, from the explanation on that page, that you either use your Google Account and post on YouTube with the same name and picture you use for your Gmail, or you have a branded account where you can set another name and picture. In neither of both cases email addresses would be shown, it seems (at least, they don't mention anything like that). However, the branded account is described as an account where multiple people can sign in and post content under that account.
My main Google account does not have a YouTube channel. I can create one but choose not to. On my accounts Channel Switcher page I see two accounts. One under my real name "redacted redacted@gmail.com Owner account, no channel" The second under my chosen channel name "chrisretusn 2 subscribers No public videos" I can add other channels I I wanted too.

My main account (Google account) can only view videos and cannot comment on them. I can still subscribe to channels and Like or Dislike videos but that's about it. For my personal channel, I want it this way. In fact if I try to save a video for example, I will be prompted to create an account. Perhaps this will explain it:
https://support.google.com/youtube/a...?topic=3024170

I use my "branded" account under my alias to make comments on videos.

Quote:
From your comments though, it seems you can opt for a branded account even if you're the only one that has access to the account? (and that way post on YouTube under the moniker you choose yourself, regardless of the attached Gmail/Google account)
Yes. This is how I am currently using my channel. As I mentioned above my Google account under my real name does not have a channel. I may decide to change that some day, but right now I am fine with using my alias.

Quote:
PS: pretty handy that when clicking the links you provided, I automatically get to see the Dutch-language version of the page.
When posting the link I remove the language tag from the URL.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote