Thread: Blacklisted IP
View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2022, 06:27 AM   #28
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_A View Post
Sorry to sorta "disappear" for so long...

AND I recently solved my IP address problem. I'll give a synopsis of what happened recently regarding that blacklisted IP problem that I hope may help others.
I'm pleased for you!

Quote:
... So I got a new router with multiple wired gigabit lan connections and a great fast Wifi connection. Nice unit and the wifi is great and FAST ( almost 300 MB/s average)
That seems (at least by UK standards) unlikely. I think you mean 300 Mb/s (ie megabits/sec, which is approximately one tenth of the speed of megabytes/sec)?

Quote:
HOWEVER, this time, after installing the new router .. our IP address was changed (as I expected) BUT this time it STAYED changed. In the past, if I removed the old router for even days and reinstalled it from scratch the OLD IP address would magically re-appear. And for years it would always come back like a static IP no matter what I did..

The problem (I'm guessing) is there was something built into the old router that was storing the IP address, possibly in some kind of non-volitile memory Eprom or something.
That also strikes me as unlikely; the IP address that is being assigned is part of your provider's network, not yours, and therefore not something that your router (or more likely the modem) should be able to dictate. I suppose it's just possible that a provider might supply a modem to a customer with a hard-coded ip address set inside it, but it'd give them no ability - unless they remotely reprogrammed that modem - to control their own network.

However maybe your new router also includes a modem, and maybe that logs in to your provider's network with different parameters and perhaps gets its connection to a different part of their network?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote