EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 27 Sep 2002, 01:35 AM   #1
zevel

Question Comparable service to MyRealBox?

Hello People,

I am a happy user of MyRealBox. However, due to their recent outages, I am looking for a backup service.

To say the truth, I've been spoilt by MyRealBox's features. So, I'd like to have the following:
  • Forever free with no spam, no "partnerships" and no strings attached.
    Run by a company that can afford it and won't pull a Bigfoot stunt on me.
  • Secure (SSL/TLS) access to IMAP, POP3, SMTP and WebMail.
    IMAP is not a must but is nice to have.
  • No ads/taglines in incoming and outgoing email!
    I guess that rules out FastMail...
  • Large storage limit (10+MB preferred) and no expiration.
  • Offers rules, autoresponders, etc.
Now, MyRealBox is not perfect. There are some minor issues:
  • Outages.
    Quite infrequent but still...
  • POP3 access retrieves messages only from the INBOX folder.
  • There is no autoreply rule.
    No biggie but nice to have.
  • I cannot change my "from" address when posting from the web interface.
    They do offer a "Reply-to" field though.
  • A limit of 15 recipients per message.
    I sometimes need to send email to a larger group. A limit of 30+ will be more convenient.
Any suggestions?
zevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Sep 2002, 03:32 AM   #2
Heartz
Essential Contributor

Forever free with no spam? No way mate. Never gonna happen.

For secure free IMAP access try fastmail.fm. However, their free service does not allow you to use their SMTP server. You'd have to use your ISP's server for that.

I really don't think that you can find any free email service with the kind of requirements that you are looking for. It's like an offer that's too good to be true, and most often than not it is. Why not you consider paid options?
Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2002, 05:26 AM   #3
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Comparable service to MyRealBox?

Quote:
Originally posted by zevel
Forever free with no spam
As Heartz has already said, there's no such service.

Quote:
Run by a company that can afford it and won't pull a Bigfoot stunt on me.

Secure (SSL/TLS) access to IMAP, POP3, SMTP and WebMail.  IMAP is not a must but is nice to have.

No ads/taglines in incoming and outgoing email!

Large storage limit (10+MB preferred) and no expiration.

Offers rules, autoresponders, etc.
I wouldn't rule out FastMail altogether; they certainly fit the first criterion, and if you don't mind making one payment of US$1495 (hardly a huge amount even for me), they provide all of this except POP3 (which is stone-age technology anyway )...

Quote:
POP3 access retrieves messages only from the INBOX folder.
That's the way POP3 works; and is one reason why smart users prefer IMAP...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2002, 07:14 AM   #4
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Comparable service to MyRealBox?

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm

POP3 (which is stone-age technology anyway )...

But, as discuissions here have shown, email clients with excellent IMAP support are rare, and clients that have good support of IMAP over modem (not always-on) connections are even rarer -- OE turns put to be a winner there. IMAP can be better with well designed client sofware and well implemented servers, but that's not yet. . .

There is a reason POP3 is still the mail access of choice.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2002, 07:32 AM   #5
ReuvenNY

Re: Comparable service to MyRealBox?

Quote:
Hello People,

I am a happy user of MyRealBox. However, due to their recent outages, I am looking for a backup service.
[/list]Any suggestions?
Yah, start changing your thinking a little. MyRealBox or any other free service provider has very little incentive to provide a quick, reliable, tech support oriented email service. To the contrary, they have all the incentive to overload their servers, not provide technical support and basically not care too much about their customers.
Now, if email is not important to you, you may find some acceptable providers. But if it is important, start thinking about paying a low price for a high level of piece of mind.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2002, 08:11 AM   #6
Gankaku

Re: Re: Comparable service to MyRealBox?

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Now, if email is not important to you, you may find some acceptable providers. But if it is important, start thinking about paying a low price for a high level of piece of mind.
Nicely said, Reuven.

zevel, If you're considering Fastmail or Runbox, I'd suggest trying out the free version of Fastmail - a guest membership, and also trying Runbox's free 30-day trial. See which interface you like better if you like to use the web a lot. Then spend some time looking further into their features.

I picked Fastmail for the interface and because I like lots of bells and whistles and options. You can use Fastmail in the simplest of manners, with the simplest interface and options. Or it can be as beefy a service as you'd like.

I've never yet received one spam to my fastmail account, and I have it on the lowest spam setting. I guess I'll post a whiny post here when I get my first spam But there are multiple actions you can take against spam in Fastmail. It has IMAP with all accounts (even guest) and pop only with Full and Enhanced. No taglines if you pay for a lifetime $14.95 Member membership. There's a 16mb storage limit, I believe, on the Member account, but if you want only a free account (you won't get pop and will have taglines) you'll get 10mb. You can compare plans here.

I tried a Runbox account, and the thing I liked best about it was a huge amount of storage space and that you can send huge files to your account. You can go to the Runbox site for more info on Runbox's accounts.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2002, 09:53 PM   #7
zevel

Thank you for your replies.

A couple of notes:
  • Forever free and ad-free is possible. MyRealBox is just that; my MailAndNews and MochaMail accounts fit the bill as well.
  • Contrary to some opinions here, I have found the MyRealBox support quite good. All my questions were addressed in a timely and adequate manner. Regarding their outages, one DDOS attack and one hardware failure since I joined, both were dealt with satisfactorily.
  • I agree, a one-time payment of US$15 is a good option as well. Unfortunately FastMail does not include POP access in that price and my main email reader does not support IMAP. Other than that, FM could be a good option.
  • Does FM support SSL/TLS on all its protocols?
  • Are there other, comparable services that require a one-time payment?

Last edited by zevel : 27 Sep 2002 at 09:57 PM.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 10:01 PM   #8
ReuvenNY

Quote:

[*] Are there other, comparable services that require a one-time payment?[/list]
Mailsnare.net has a $9.95 every 5 years.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2002, 05:10 AM   #9
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by zevel [*] Does FM support SSL/TLS on all its protocols?
Yes.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2002, 07:49 AM   #10
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
Any suggestions?
MailSnare meets all your requirements with their 9.95 for 5 years plan.

Both Runbox and MailSnare are going for MAJOR overhauls within this week with implementation of 3 major enhancements and VisualOffice respectively. I suggest you wait for one week more to make a good comparison.

Runbox may not be on your wish list because it is neither a free nor a low cost comparable service for MyRealBox. FastMail's Guest and Member accounts or MailSnare's Basic plan is the ideal for you. MailSnare also has POP and a lot more features than even FastMail now with the exception of a Reject filter, but you'll have to wait for VisualOffice for some of them such as mail forwarding, auto responders etc.

However FastMail Member account gives a guarantee of a lifetime email address. The MailSnare Basic account for 9.95 is actual a Full featured account with no restrictions on any of the available features and includes spam protection (TMDA, DNS Blacklists and SpamAssassin too very soon). So I doubt that it would remain $2/yr ($10/5 yrs) forever. So you take the risk of the 9.95 fee for 5 years being increased by a substantial amount by the time you become heavily dependent on the account, but 5 years a long time away for now.

The only email service 100% free that is comparable to MyRealBox is MochaMail.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2002, 08:34 AM   #11
zevel

Thanks. So I guess it becomes a choice between MailSnare and FastMail

Quote:
Originally posted by mail2me
The only email service 100% free that is comparable to MyRealBox is MochaMail.
Unfortunately MochaMail does not seem to offer SSL/TLS.

Speaking of which, MailSnare does not mention SSL on SMTP, only on POP3 & IMAP. Or am I missing something?
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:05 PM   #12
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
Speaking of which, MailSnare does not mention SSL on SMTP, only on POP3 & IMAP. Or am I missing something?
I am not very sure to confirm this, but I do believe they do because they have SSL. Can you post this question at the MailSnare Forum so that you will get an accurate answer. You should receive an answer direct from one of their representatives within 24 hours. You will also have to email supportATmailsnareDOTnet for a trial account.

You can also take a test drive by trying out their horde demo, but note that this includes some features not implemented in live as well as some features missing such as VisualOffice which is not a part of Horde. For a real trial of an account that you would get after signing up, you will have to email them for now until an automated trial account creation is in place.

Some of the cool features that MailSnare have are as follows:
Bcc send
Return receipt
Message flags
WAP support
Unlimited identities
Virus protection for POP Links
Apply filters to already received messages
Retrieve from other IMAP accounts in addition to POP
Task manager, Calendar and Reminders in addition to Memo pad
Full spam protection including TMDA and DNS Blacklists at all account levels
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:09 PM   #13
Madiver

Representative of:
MailSnare.net
Quote:
Thanks. So I guess it becomes a choice between MailSnare and FastMail

Unfortunately MochaMail does not seem to offer SSL/TLS.

We do not yet support SMTP AUTH for authentication, which requires a username and password. At that time we will also enable SSL support of SMTP.

Some people are under the mistaken impression that SSL over SMTP protects the contents of their email. While it is true that it will protect the contents while it is in transit between your mail client and your e-mail service provider, once it reaches your providers mail server it is generally no longer encrypted. It then sits in the message queue until it is sent on to the next destination (also un-encrypted). It is possible to setup SSL encryption between mail servers, but that is not very typical. Maybe MailSnare, Runbox, and Fastmail should do some SSL collaboration

Cheers!
Mark
Madiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2002, 05:01 PM   #14
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Madiver
Some people are under the mistaken impression that SSL over SMTP protects the contents of their email.
The key issue for SSL/SMTP is that your password is not transmitted in the clear (when using SMTP AUTH). I think that's why most people require it (when using providers that use SMTP AUTH).

For end to end encryption, use GPG, PGP, etc...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2002, 08:49 PM   #15
Madiver

Representative of:
MailSnare.net
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
The key issue for SSL/SMTP is that your password is not transmitted in the clear (when using SMTP AUTH). I think that's why most people require it (when using providers that use SMTP AUTH).

For end to end encryption, use GPG, PGP, etc...
Absolutely!
Madiver is offline   Reply With Quote