EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 18 Mar 2019, 07:11 AM   #1
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Russian government has plans to cut off their internet from the rest of the world

This is a concern for me...as a daily (and up till now) satisfied user of Yandex and Mail.ru email services. If the Russians do this will I be able to keep on using Yandex/mail.ru as a mail service?

Iam based in the Netherlands,so therfor have NO Russian IP address.

If the Russian government will do this and I can not communicate any longer with above mentioned services I must find a replacemant. For obvious reasons I do NOT want to use Gmail,Outlook nor the AOL/Yahoo duo.

Thoughts?

Dutchie

PS: if this was put in the wrong section I trust the moderators will put it in the right area:-)
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Mar 2019, 10:54 AM   #2
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
This is a concern for me...as a daily (and up till now) satisfied user of Yandex and Mail.ru email services. If the Russians do this will I be able to keep on using Yandex/mail.ru as a mail service?

Iam based in the Netherlands,so therfor have NO Russian IP address.

If the Russian government will do this and I can not communicate any longer with above mentioned services I must find a replacemant. For obvious reasons I do NOT want to use Gmail,Outlook nor the AOL/Yahoo duo.

Thoughts?

Dutchie

PS: if this was put in the wrong section I trust the moderators will put it in the right area:-)
What are the obvious reasons you do NOT want to use Gmail, Outlook nor the AOL/Yahoo duo?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2019, 07:47 PM   #3
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
What are the obvious reasons you do NOT want to use Gmail, Outlook nor the AOL/Yahoo duo?
Allthough I know the (free) email service of Google and Microsoft are technicaly spoken very very good I have decided to STOP using products from Google or Microsoft.

AOL/Yahoo (free) email imho is absolutely not worth it,very unreliable and even more wicked then Google or Microsoft regarding userdata or spying. Sure you can use it to send some pics from the kids to Aunt Betty that lives 400 km away....but for anything serious i would not touch it.

I met to understand that this situation is very different in the US...or in some parts of Asia...but here in Europe its another ballgame.

I do still care about privecy.
Dutchie.
Old 18 Mar 2019, 07:57 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

My understanding of what the Russians want to do is a bit different. I thought they wanted to route the entire Russian Internet through a server that is under government control so that they could more easily spy on anyone they want to and also cut off access at any time they want to. However, I very much doubt they don't already have the technical means to do much of this already, just less efficiently. Until and unless you use an end-to-end encrypted service and only communicate to others using encryption I suspect your emails could be intercepted and read in almost any country, whatever the public laws might state. On the other hand, there are numerous "privacy-focused" European email providers to choose from, and just recently there was a thread on here mentioning Soverin based in the Netherlands, which looks interesting. Here's an article on what they are doing. https://www.wired.com/story/russia-i...-what-happens/

Last edited by TenFour : 18 Mar 2019 at 08:03 PM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2019, 01:08 AM   #5
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Allthough I know the (free) email service of Google and Microsoft are technicaly spoken very very good I have decided to STOP using products from Google or Microsoft.

AOL/Yahoo (free) email imho is absolutely not worth it,very unreliable and even more wicked then Google or Microsoft regarding userdata or spying.
I do still care about privecy.
Dutchie.
So you do not trust Gmail, Microsoft and Yahoo, but you trust the Russian government??
Old 19 Mar 2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
So you do not trust Gmail, Microsoft and Yahoo, but you trust the Russian government??
10-4 ,-) affirmative.

Russian government would do nothing with my data...wereas Google and the likes....would use it...or sell it...or whatever. So yes...In that matter I rather put my data in the hands of Russian government.

D
Old 20 Mar 2019, 07:55 PM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Russian government would do nothing with my data.
Is this the same Russian government that murders people?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1LL160
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2019, 12:59 AM   #8
ReuvenNY

Quote:
10-4 ,-) affirmative.

Russian government would do nothing with my data...wereas Google and the likes....would use it...or sell it...or whatever. So yes...In that matter I rather put my data in the hands of Russian government.

D
No further questions or comments...
Old 21 Mar 2019, 09:48 AM   #9
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Is this the same Russian government that murders people?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1LL160
What has this to do with my question???

D
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:41 AM   #10
HollyRMalin

I am not agreed with them

I think this is not good to cutting the internet.
HollyRMalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2019, 01:41 AM   #11
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyRMalin View Post
I think this is not good to cutting the internet.
HollyRMalin, if you want to promote your leather business here, you will be banned instantly! No further warnings.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 12:39 PM   #12
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I thought they wanted to route the entire Russian Internet through a server that is under government control so that they could more easily spy on anyone they want to and also cut off access at any time they want to.
That's entirely doable, if you don't care how much you're killing Internet performance for everybody in the country. You simply cannot put every data packet generated by a country of that size through a single "pipe" and not bring things to a crawl, not to mention the massive increase in latency from moving packets through a central location and back out again.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2019, 02:12 AM   #13
verbovet

Quote:
Russian government has plans to cut off their internet from the rest of the world
In fact, the plan is about how to keep the internet working inside Russia if it will be cut by US, as a sanction (there is a new sanction almost every week).

Unfortunately, the mail services could be broken in any case.

BTW, the Ukraine already did this and mail.ru and yandex are not available there (without a vpn or something).
verbovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2019, 07:48 AM   #14
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbovet View Post
In fact, the plan is about how to keep the internet working inside Russia if it will be cut by US, as a sanction.
The US doesn't have the ability to do that - or the motive. Cutting-off Russia from the Internet would mean cutting-off the Russian people from international news sources, which would benefit only the Russian government.

It's about protecting Russia from cyber attacks. These might have come in retaliation for Russia's interference in foreign elections through hacking and the manipulation of social media.

See, for example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...ates_elections
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2019, 09:23 AM   #15
verbovet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
The US doesn't have the ability to do that
US controls a big part of the Internet infrastructure. It's not only about things like DNS, many Russian sites use the US infrastructure, for example Amazon, Google, Microsoft Azure, DO, etc. Government wants to understand the dependence and be prepared to a moment when all these will be cut.

About the motives of US, I don't know, but Russia already cut from a part of the bank infrastructure, and the Government created a protection from cutting the rest of it (that is cut of SWIFT).

After banks, Internet is a natural next thing. Moreover, one region (Crimea) is already cut from all US companies including Google, Apple, Microsoft.

For protecting from cyber-attacks, important objects should not be connected to the Internet at all, for example, the Army has it own internet and mobile network. It's more reliable and wise approach than self-cutting everybody from the Internet :-)
verbovet is offline   Reply With Quote