EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 13 Aug 2016, 10:18 PM   #1
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

GMX.com: New TOS by 8/31 or Terminate Acct.

Quote:
Important Changes
To Your GMX Service

Dear GMX Member,

In the past, the GMX Service was provided to you by 1&1 Mail & Media Inc.

After August 31st, 2016 the service can be provided to you by 1&1 Mail & Media GmbH in order to ensure the high level of performance and data protection you are used to.

What you can do at this point is to click on “I agree” which will confirm that you have reviewed and accept the Terms and Conditions of 1&1 Mail & Media GmbH as of now.

If you do not agree, 1&1 Mail & Media Inc. will cancel your contract by August 31st, 2016.

Your GMX account including all your data will then be irrevocably deleted as outlined in the Terms and Conditions currently applying to your GMX Service.

Your GMX Team
I agree
No, I do not agree

Please agree to the Terms and Conditions of the future provider of the GMX Services, 1&1 Mail & Media GmbH, to be able to continue using your GMX account after August 31st, 2016.
It looks like they are shutting down the US operation and moving the accounts to the German parent company.

The rules sound very firm, eh?
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Aug 2016, 11:58 PM   #2
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I have a gmx.com account and have not seen this yet. I rarely log in via a browser could be why I suppose....

... just logged via my browser, the notice appeared after logging in. I read the Terms of Service, pretty much a standard set, I have no real issues so I agreed to the Terms... on the second log in. It took so long to read the TOS that my log in timed out. LOL.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2016, 05:20 AM   #3
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

One reason I posted this is that people who just check GMX via POP3 or IMAP4 won't see the message, which may mean that their accounts are terminated without an understanding of why.

I don't know if the plan is to clean out accounts who don't login and therefore don't see advertising, but that could be one consequence.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2016, 07:43 AM   #4
soromak

I would be very careful when using GMX accounts. One of my e-mail accounts once got blocked due to inactivity, I am still able to recover/change password as often as I want with my backup e-mail address but I am not able to log in and use it!!!
According to their support there is nothing they can do about it. It is not deleted and it is still accepting e-mail.
IMHO not very serious..
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2016, 09:32 PM   #5
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
One reason I posted this is that people who just check GMX via POP3 or IMAP4 won't see the message, which may mean that their accounts are terminated without an understanding of why.

I don't know if the plan is to clean out accounts who don't login and therefore don't see advertising, but that could be one consequence.
Thank you for posting it too. This account is one of my well used accounts.

One would hope they would send out an email before terminating accounts. I am sure there are a lot of folks like me who only use POP3 or IMAP4. I noted in the new terms of service the you have to log in every six months or loose it. I think the previous terms had the same clause. I know for sure until yesterday I have not logged in via the browser in well over six month. I'm hoping that logging in via POP3 or IMAP4 will count (I log in every day). If not them I will have to set up a reminder.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote