EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 8 Aug 2013, 07:52 PM   #31
lavaFedUp

Thumbs down

2 DAYS without email, no ETA on when this will be fixed. How can I ever have faith in this service again? I can't believe I paid for this...
lavaFedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2013, 07:57 PM   #32
Clive T

Deja Vu

This incident reminds me of the great FastMail outage of a few years ago.

Let's hope Lavabit manage to resolve the issues quicker than FM did. I remember them being down for 3 or 4 days (again without any real updates or information for their clients).
Clive T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:12 PM   #33
Just Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaFedUp View Post
2 DAYS without email, no ETA on when this will be fixed. How can I ever have faith in this service again? I can't believe I paid for this...
Two days down would be a deal breaker for me.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:29 PM   #34
submarine89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Two days down would be a deal breaker for me.
Two days down IS a deal breaker for me. Anyone have some secure suggestions?
submarine89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:34 PM   #35
cgt

I am strongly considered switching away from Lavabit. They've always seemed a bit unprofessional, but I haven't really had any problems with them before this (at one point they didn't even have an e-mail address on their site to contact them). I am a paying customer at Lavabit and I would like something similar to Lavabit's encryption system, but it doesn't seem like there are anyone else offering such a system.

However, I am considering Runbox as they at least aren't hosted in US and they seem all right. Does anyone have experience with Runbox, or perhaps know of better alternative to Lavabit?
cgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:34 PM   #36
lavaFedUp

This is absurd. Nobody is even working on this issue, or their customers are obviously not important enough to work off hours and resolve it.

The webmail page and their contact page both lead to a 404, the same message from 2 days ago is the only mention of this on their website.

Pete S. would you agree refunds are in order for your paying customers? I migrated away from Gmail and signed up for a several year Lavabit plan in good faith. I'm really regretting this decision.
lavaFedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:46 PM   #37
cgt

https://www.neomailbox.net/ looks interesting
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:55 PM   #38
RobertPaulsen

has anybody considered that if edward snowden did use lavabit then the Gouvernment is maybe interested in his mails which he wrote and sended to Glenn Greenwald. Maybe they seized the server and waved with a national security letter. just a thought !
RobertPaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:58 PM   #39
poma

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
(a lot of first time forumposters are very critical with lavabit right now...hmm)
Yes, indicating that there were users who needed their email to work who are communicating with each other because lavabit had not been bothering to communicate with them.
poma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 12:02 AM   #40
cgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by poma View Post
Yes, indicating that there were users who needed their email to work who are communicating with each other because lavabit had not been bothering to communicate with them.
Excatly! I was trying to figure out what was going on (and Lavabit's website certainly wasn't of any help) and I found this.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 12:03 AM   #41
poma

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
https://lavabit.zendesk.com/entries/...CDT-UTC-05-00-

Maybe one can look there next time it happens?
What is zendesk? The idea of having to look on zendesk whenever lavabit is broken seems really crazy on the face of it.
poma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 12:30 AM   #42
mve

Unhappy Pete: Please be honest!

Hi Pete:

There has been no update from you for quite a while. My experience corresponding with you to setup my Lavabit accounts was very positive, so I have the hope you will do the right thing:

1) Although this is a bad situation, it is not disastrous unless you make it so. YOU NEED TO GIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS A TRUTHFUL ANSWER ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING.

2) Should I redirect all my domains to another e-mail provider (this will take 4 hours to come through, which is why I need your honesty). All of our business e-mail is handled through your service. My business cannot survive without access to e-mail.

3) This is not about the 16 dollars per account. This is about my LIVELIHOOD and the livelihood of everyone who works with me.

PLEASE START ACTING PROFESSIONALLY!

This is no way to instill trust in your customers. Especially considering we take your word on every other important detail regarding your service, such as server encryption. As the hours turn into days without real news, I start to doubt....

Please answer soon!!!

MVE
mve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 12:42 AM   #43
radoo

@MVE EXACTLY!!! I'm in the exactly same situation!
radoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 12:43 AM   #44
pwnfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mve View Post
Hi Pete:

There has been no update from you for quite a while. My experience corresponding with you to setup my Lavabit accounts was very positive, so I have the hope you will do the right thing:

1) Although this is a bad situation, it is not disastrous unless you make it so. YOU NEED TO GIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS A TRUTHFUL ANSWER ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING.

2) Should I redirect all my domains to another e-mail provider (this will take 4 hours to come through, which is why I need your honesty). All of our business e-mail is handled through your service. My business cannot survive without access to e-mail.

3) This is not about the 16 dollars per account. This is about my LIVELIHOOD and the livelihood of everyone who works with me.

PLEASE START ACTING PROFESSIONALLY!

This is no way to instill trust in your customers. Especially considering we take your word on every other important detail regarding your service, such as server encryption. As the hours turn into days without real news, I start to doubt....

Please answer soon!!!

MVE
This.

A million times this.

They need to truthfully tell people what is going on.

This is a complete cluster-**** for me and many others at the minute...

Also lol'ing that emailing them on their site form doesn't even seem to work at the minute, nor does the login page (come on guys, at least stick something up to say 'we're upgrading stuff/breaking **** and you can't login at present). I mean it has been like this for 36+ hours, directing paying customers to an Apache error page........

WTF!
pwnfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 12:46 AM   #45
Paul09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLavabit View Post
We've been having some intermittent issues with the storage system over the last day or two.

We started moving mail to a new storage system today, but this is taking longer than expected -- we hoped to get everything finished during the off-peak times but things didn't work out that way. Sorry. :/

Incoming mail will be queued by sending systems for delivery once everything on our end returns to normal. No mail should be lost.

Sorry for all the trouble. We're working to get this sorted out as quickly as possible.
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the update about Lavabit, I realy appreciate that.
As a Lavabit paying customer, I did find you're help always valuable with Lavabit.

I would like to suggest that the information on this site: https://lavabit.zendesk.com/entries/...CDT-UTC-05-00- is also placed on the Lavabit website. That makes things clear for costomers.

I wish Ladar a lot of success with migrating the mails and hope it is also for Lavabit a learning experience.

Good luck you guys!

Paul

Last edited by Paul09 : 9 Aug 2013 at 01:13 AM.
Paul09 is offline   Reply With Quote