EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Feb 2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Random832

some folders won't show up in thunderbird

they don't show up in thhe list of folders i can subscribe either - anyone know what's going on?
Random832 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Feb 2009, 03:29 PM   #2
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Do you have any folders named fully in upper case? I once had an issue which I eventually fixed by renaming them all in lover case.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Sherry

Another possibility is if the missing folders are "in" the Inbox? I know some clients have a problem with that however I don't know if Thunderbird does. Perhaps you know if it does CyberDyne?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 04:00 PM   #4
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Folders created within the Inbox appear fine on my TBird (v.2.0.0.19) Sherry.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Random832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Another possibility is if the missing folders are "in" the Inbox? I know some clients have a problem with that however I don't know if Thunderbird does. Perhaps you know if it does CyberDyne?

Sherry
They're in subfolders, mostly three or more deep (I thought for a minute this might be the problem, except I also have folders that actually work at the same level)
Random832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 02:58 AM   #6
Sherry

Perhaps you can find something similar in the folders that aren't showing up. Like could there be some kind of symbols in each one? (or something in the parent folder blocking the sub from showing)

Sherry
Old 1 Mar 2009, 03:39 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I tried creating folders using the Fastmail web interface with a leading space, leading hyphen, leading number, all lower case, and all upper case. All of these were visible in Thunderbird.

There are three possibilities I can imagine:
  • Are you subscribing properly? In Thunderbird, right-click on any folder and choose Subscribe..., where you should see all Fastmail folders and subfolders.
  • The folder order shown in the Fastmail web interface can be changed in the Options>Folders screen. This does not change the order seen in IMAP clients. So you might just not be noticing folders which are ordered differently.
  • Your account might be corrupted. Try these ideas:
    • Entering the Options>Folders screen and selecting Save Changes (new interface) may fix folder problems. Be sure there are no error messages appearing near the top of the screen after selecting the Save Changes button.
    • To check and fix other problems, log out of the Fastmail web interface and select the Account Problems? link underneath the login fields. Follow the instructions.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2009, 03:53 AM   #8
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I don't have Thunderbird handy, but in the past I've noticed similar behavior. It always involved nested subfolders.

I think I found that I would sometimes have to open the folder tree as far a possible (in the "subscribe" dialog box), click ok, and then go back again. The next level of folders would then be available. If there were further levels of subfolders which did not yet show I would repeat the process, leaving the folder tree as expanded as possible each time.

(If I recall correctly.)

Andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2009, 05:29 PM   #9
carra

Thunderbird oddities

Hi all,
today I rearranged my folder tree moving some top-level "branches" under Inbox/subfolder_name/.
Thunderbird does not show the new folders under Inbox/subfolder_name.
Moreover, it shows all fixed top-level folders (ie Sent Items, Drafts...) DOUBLED under Inbox/subfolder_name/.
Subfolders of path Inbox/subfolder_name/ have only some capitals and underscore in their names.
I also tried, as stated elsewhere, to reload the folders list in Thunderbird's subscribe dialog without luck.
Any ideas? Should I delete my Thunderbird account?
Sorry for my poor English.
carra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2009, 07:50 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Don't make subfolders under Inbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
Hi all,
today I rearranged my folder tree moving some top-level "branches" under Inbox/subfolder_name/.
Thunderbird does not show the new folders under Inbox/subfolder_name.
The details of IMAP folders can be confusing. The Fastmail web interface by default shows a number of folders. The system folders are Inbox, Sent Items, Drafts, Trash, and Junk Mail. If you create additional user folders and subfolders, you should normally make them subfolders of <Top-level>. In particular, you should not make subfolders of Inbox, which causes problems when you try to use an email client.

Bill
Old 1 Sep 2009, 12:46 PM   #11
JMac
Essential Contributor

The only folder subscription problem I have had with Fastmail and Thunderbird is a Thunderbird problem: Thunderbird does NOT show nested folders in its Subscribe dialog. They are all rolled up with + signs next to them. If you wish to see all your Fastmail folders and check the boxes to subscribe, you must click on each individual doggone + sign to open and access nested folders. And as soon as you "un-nest" one the dialog jumps back to the top of the list. Grrr.. No "Select All" or "Expand All" buttons. Frustrating indeed! But as I said, that is apparently a Thunderbird UI issue.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Sherry

Another possible thing to check with an IMAP account would be to see how you have set the "Root folder path". It can/should be set certain ways for different email clients. I don't use Thunderbird but perhaps someone who does can let you know where that setting is and say what they have typed in theirs.

Sherry
Old 1 Sep 2009, 02:33 PM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Another possible thing to check with an IMAP account would be to see how you have set the "Root folder path". It can/should be set certain ways for different email clients. I don't use Thunderbird but perhaps someone who does can let you know where that setting is and say what they have typed in theirs.
Sherry, the Fastmail Thunderbird setup help has all the details. These settings in help work fine for me (INBOX. for IMAP server directory and "INBOX." for Personal namespace).

Bill
Old 14 Jan 2010, 04:20 PM   #14
elyssabernard

Also cannot subscribe to all nested folders

I am trying out Thunderbird for Mac with my Fastmail account. I find that I cannot subscribe to some of my nested folders...most yes, but a few just don't show up now matter how many times I refresh, restart, unsubscribe, re-subscribe etc. I read both companies' help pages but there is nothing about this problem. Any suggestions to fix this, or of another mail program to use, would be appreciated.
elyssabernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 04:27 PM   #15
JMac
Essential Contributor

Thunderbird doesn’t show any nested folders; you have to click the Plus sign next to each folder/subfolder to see the nested folders. If you are already doing that then I don’t know what the problem is.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote