EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Jan 2008, 09:54 PM   #1
ReuvenNY

Woomail.com - a different kind of email

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/1/prweb607241.htm

Excerpt:

Although interactive, Woomail is not email. Woomail is a better way to message online; an intelligent and controlled online communication tool that works in a simple yet effective manner, eliminating spam and putting total control in the hands of the recipient.

http://www.woomail.com/
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Jan 2008, 10:46 PM   #2
earlzsta
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post

Excerpt:

Although interactive, Woomail is not email. Woomail is a better way to message online; an intelligent and controlled online communication tool that works in a simple yet effective manner, eliminating spam and putting total control in the hands of the recipient.

Thanks for that ReuvenNY

I have tried the surface it seems to send fine, sent one to my gmail address but i replied and 20mins on the email has still not turned up in the woomail inbox.

Also sent a email to my webmail.us account and there is no email there, but I have not received a bounce so I guess its still processing.
earlzsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 03:02 AM   #3
drew
The "e" in e-mail

same text in all three links?

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2...rweb607241.htm

same text
http://mobiles.blogforward.com/2008/...l-replacement/

google doesn't seem to find independent info on it? we have to test it ourself then?

We have to read the TOS so they don't just collect our friends emailaddreses and use them for ads?

https://www.woomail.com/termservice.php
Sorry if I come through as an overly cautious skeptic.

They warn it doesn't work for all emails. Which are they?

they tell more here about their views on how to stop spam here:
https://www.woomail.com/media.php

Quote:
The owners of Certified Gold
Exchange have developed an email
replacement platform that eliminates
Spam & Viruses.
Quote:
TOS
7. Submission of Content

By providing any content to this website:

* You agree to grant Woomail.com Inc. a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license (including any moral rights or other necessary rights) to use, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, distribute, perform, promote, archive, translate, and to create derivative works and compilations, in whole or in part. Such license will apply with respect to any form, media, and technology already known at the time of provision or developed subsequently.
* You warrant and represent that you have all legal, moral, and other rights that may be necessary to grant the site editor the license specified in this section 7.
* You acknowledge and agree that Woomail.com will have the right (but not obligation), at the company's entire discretion, to refuse to publish, or to remove, or to block access to any content you provide, at any time and for any reason, with or without notice.
Maybe this link is a good one?
https://www.woomail.com/help.php

Last edited by drew : 10 Jan 2008 at 03:29 AM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 03:37 AM   #4
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Woomail for Cell Phones, PDA’s and Blackberry handheld device.
Woomail is currently working diligently to complete the woomail.mobi website. Once finished, you will be able to send and receive messages from your blackberry, PDA or browser capable cellular phone. Of course, the mobile version of Woomail will offer members the same high levels of security that are features on our Woomail.com site. Woomail.mobi is expected to launch Spring, 2008.
Doesn't it mean that everybody needs to go to a webpage to be able to answer? Sorry me so dense.

suppose me write to my neighbor. To answer he has to visit my woomail/drew?

Unless he write to an email I give in the email to him. drew at gmail

would not spammer use this link at woomail?
https://www.woomail.com/find_woomailer.php

by doing dictionary look up for jesus and joe and drew they find me rather fast and send me their mails?
Old 10 Jan 2008, 03:46 AM   #5
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Could someone good at english ask them if it is allowed to have one account for work related contacts and another for hobby related contacts. I want to separate professional life with free time buddies.

Do they check IP addresses maybe? If one chose a user name that people have a hard time to remember am one allowed to ditch an account and start another one?

How long inactivity do they allow? 30 days 45 days 60 days 90 days?
Old 10 Jan 2008, 05:46 AM   #6
kingofpenguins
Essential Contributor

This seems really cool that your messages never leave cyberspace. I can see how this would be very useful if you had only personal communications. However, I can not see using this for messages that are sent by a bot, like mailing lists and confirmation links sent out by services you sign up for.

But hopefully I can use this to pull people back into the quick and efficient "email way of doing things". A lot of people I know have actually moved to the phone because of all the time wasted using traditional email and dealing with spam, etc.
kingofpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 06:51 AM   #7
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

As I see it it lacks a lot of email functionality. What do you do when you want to send a message to several people? Copy and paste the message to each one? What happens when you forward a message to someone else that would handle it? would they be blocked? I certainly don't see how I can accept email from students who would use this service.

It doesn't seem they thought about everything. Example: they are allowing "blocking" of senders by blocking IP addresses, while almost 100% of internet users are on dynamic IP addresses. And some of the claims they make on their documentation is just not true. Example: they claim they are the ONLY service offering disposable email addresses...
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Could someone good at english ask them if it is allowed to have one account for work related contacts and another for hobby related contacts. I want to separate professional life with free time buddies.

Do they check IP addresses maybe? If one chose a user name that people have a hard time to remember am one allowed to ditch an account and start another one?
I read the entire help section this morning, shortly after opening an account to have a look at it, and although I can't say I memorized every detail of the information therein, I do clearly recall that it said that users are allowed two accounts.

Quote:
How long inactivity do they allow? 30 days 45 days 60 days 90 days?
I'm somewhat less confidant of my memory on this, and I don't have time to check it again right now but I'm pretty sure it was indicated that the "inactivity period" is eight months (assuming the service even lasts that long, of course).

Finding "routine" email use more tedious every day, I would very much welcome a radical change in current common email protocols, and certainly one which might hold promise for putting spammers out of business for good once and for all, and would be more than willing to make fairly drastic changes in my ways of sending/receiving messages toward that end, and for that reason my initial impression of this service was fairly positive -- although I don't know how easy it might be to persuade many others to change their customary procedures so radically.

However, after spending awhile more fully familiarizing myself with the service, I agree with Hadaso that it could use a lot more functionality typically expected of email, as it shouldn't be necessary to abandon many of the truly useful email functions as the price of eliminating its shortcomings. In addition to "what he said", among other things it would be useful if it had filters for autosorting messages, as well as for selectively autoforwarding messages to another address should one so wish. Although I assume that like most webmail services they would prefer you use their web interface, as I assume free accounts will eventually include advertising in the interface.

And although I'm almost entirely a webmail-only user (in fact, I can't even recall the last time I downloaded an email message to my own system), IMO they should have some kind of provision for conveniently downloading messages to the user's own computer for those who need that functionality, whether through POP3, IMAP, as an archive, or something, but as far as I noticed and can recall, there is no such provision.

But despite its numerous shortcomings, I find the basic idea interesting and might be able to find a use for it.

Last edited by xmailer : 10 Jan 2008 at 09:12 AM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 09:41 AM   #9
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post

Excerpt:

I loved the marketing:

"Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and MSN scramble as Woomail Launches Email Replacement."

Scrambling? I'd guess they did not even know this service was launched. I'm sure they still don't know.

The service itself, I doubt if I'll touch...
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 03:43 PM   #10
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

This scheme is not scalable. It expects everyone in the world to become their customers. The functionality they give is not much more than being able to post talkbacks on someone's blog (or something similar in "social networking" concepts, I do not follow these), If this became widely used (such as a certain OS) spammers would easily find the way through, and they would have only one vendors team of developers on defense.
The same functionality (forcing whoever sends you email to go to some webpage or perform some other task for each email address used) is offered by C/R systems, but those systems at least minimize the required action. Woomail forces whoever wants to reply to abandon their messaging software and use their limited web based interface for the whole process.

Email is so successful (despite all of its problems) because it is simple and distributed, and users are not locked in to one vendor with that vendor's limited offered functionality.

The only functionality I see that can really do something to reduce spam is the disposable address functionality, but for this to be successful it has to be integrated into widely used email services. If Gmail, instead (or in addition) to their plus-addressing capability implemented something like SneakEmail.com disposable address system but in a user-friendly way AND marketed it as something beneficial to businesses (customers would be more confident in providing contact details, more likely to maintain contact, the contact info would be unusable by competitors, phishing would be close to impossible etc.) then it would catch up. A system similar to the "merchants" capability in Woomail was already tried in the past but didn't catch up. IMO it has potential but only if backed by the main email hosts (gmail/Live Hotmail/Yahoo), done in a user friendly way and perceived by businesses as a good way to maintain contact with customers.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 08:31 PM   #11
drew
The "e" in e-mail

The spammers already claim they have such software. I guess it is against rules to mention it so I stop there.

I came upon it when I moderated a forum for bikes and we get numerous of these bots doing such things to our forum. One of them gave url to that software to brag and tease us that our resistance was futile.

But what woomail suggests maybe could be refined and expanded on and could become something for the future?

Teens already use social communities in first place to contact each other and email is last priority among them.

Maybe woomail is the better approach for some and not worth a dime for others. To each his thing
Old 10 Jan 2008, 08:36 PM   #12
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Maybe woomail is the better approach for some and not worth a dime for others.
Bingo... like so many other services.... lol
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 08:58 PM   #13
Olfrygt

I have looked at this with mild curiosity, but haven't tried it yet.
I notice that there is a password strength checker , which tests your password when signing up. This pwd checker is faulty ; I can get a "very strong" assessment with only a few characters, or only "strong" assessment with huge difficult passwords. This is nonsense.
Better password checkers can be found here ..............
http://www.acctis.com/password_strength.asp?loc=en
http://www.securitystats.com/tools/password.php
Olfrygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 11:45 PM   #14
drew
The "e" in e-mail

We could invite him to get friendly advice here at EMD then.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 02:57 AM   #15
woomail1

Representative of:
Woomail.com
Lightbulb Information from Woomail CEO John Halloran

First and foremost, the interest in and discussion about Woomail is appreciated. I would like to take a few moments to answer some of the questions and clarify some of the unique functionalities of Woomail.

In a nutshell, Woomail.com gives you 5 ways to safely control online communications.

1. From your inbox, choose the Compose Woomail link. This allows you to send a instant mail to another woomailer on the same server so your message never enters cyberspace and is read in 256 bit encryption. This Woomail message arrives in the other woomailers inbox instantly. It never goes outside the Woomail system, thus “The worlds Safest Mail™.

2. From the inbox, click compose email. Sends email as normal. After the message is sent, our system will ask if you want to add that address to your quick contacts. Contacts can reply directly using their mail server as long as that approved address is the address they’re using. If you choose not to add that user to your contacts then they receive a link at the bottom of the email communication that states as follows:
P.S. I read secure mail only. Please click here to reply to this message or bookmark my message-landing page at www.woomail.com/1 (1 is my username)
Once they click on that reply link they are sent to the Woomail secure platform and arrive at a custom reply page. Once again, VERY safe because it never enters cyberspace and is back under our Cisco firewall. With every page, 100% encrypted website when sent and received. If some one is not a contact and they respond, they will get an auto responder asking them to go to your original message or landing page to be certain the message is first hand and not spam or mass marketing.

3. From the inbox, select ‘create merchant key’. This will prompt you to create a new email address for each merchant –university-Church-club-short term contacts- info request. The Woomail system will notify you of new mail at your merchant inbox counter on the upper left of your inbox. We will also notify you if anyone other then that merchant uses that address. We check the incoming messages for that merchant name in address (example amazon.com and check for the word Amazon in the body of the message). If both are not matched then the massage will appear in the merchant alert counter on the upper left of your inbox. The actual message will also appear in read. Then you can play Gotcha with the merchant and delete the key. Problem solved.

4. From the inbox, click the collaboration link. This allows you to invite multiple woomailers to post on a message board, with attachments just like this discussion board. Great for professionals dealing with clients or work project groups… to have all communications in one easy to follow format and again messages are never exposed to cyberspace and are 100% encrypted.

5. Message landing page (Example www.woomail.com/john ) This is great for placing a link on a website without getting added to every Spam list. Because bad guys are stealing any email link from websites automatically. The Woomail team has taken this value away by flipping an email and creating a Woomail. Friends can also bookmark the message page –it is safe, quick and instant.

I built this site for myself and everyone else out there who cares about spam. Someone had to stop anyone from having control of my time and mail. My wife was getting body enlargement ads that infuriated me. It’s a big challenge and any help spreading the woo word would be most appreciated.

Post any questions here or use the feedback link from your Woomail inbox. I’ll woo you later.

An enhanced and better site tour, welcome letter and help sections are coming soon.

I will also try and go back through this discussion and provide direct responses to the questions, comments and concerned posed by the good folks on this forum.

John Halloran
Woomail CEO

Mod: URL removed.

Last edited by Sherry : 15 Jan 2008 at 03:18 AM.
woomail1 is offline   Reply With Quote