EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 17 Jul 2006, 09:59 PM   #1
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

It's Official: Netscape.Net mail changes

Quote:
Dear Netscape(R) Mail User,

We're pleased to tell you that starting August 19th, 2006 your Netscape Mail will be upgraded to the AIM(R) Mail service*. Your e-mail address and login process will remain the same. The look and feel of the service will change slightly, but all the features and functionality you have today will continue.

There will be several new benefits with AIM Mail, including:

* Plenty of storage for all your messages
- Your e-mail storage will increase from 250 MB to 2 GB

* Easy access to a web calendar
- Calendar integration with e-mail will be included

* Flexibility to work with Microsoft Outlook(R) and other Mail Clients
- Your e-mail service will be IMAP compliant

There are additional benefits including Screen Name Linking,
industry-leading virus and spam protection and more. For complete information about the upgrade, click the URL below to read the FAQs. http://support.netscape.com/cgi-bin2...GJu0IuT0KEW0FS

Thank you for using Netscape Mail. We hope you enjoy your improved level of service.

Netscape Mail Team

* Netscape Mail users with AOL(R) Mail accounts using the same Screen Name will be upgraded to AOL Mail.
I assume that this means Netscape.net mail will be forwarded to AIM.com mail boxes, so you can recieve to ScreenName@Netscape.net, ScreenName@AIM.com, and ScreenName@AOL.com in the same 2Gb, IMAP accessible mailbox.

Will they offer SMTP for Netscape.net addresses?

Will POP3 access ever come to pass?

Will paid AOL members figure out that unlimited storage isn't always a great tradeoff for mail messages being purged after 27 days?

Stay tuned!
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:58 AM   #2
CyberSmurf

Question can't create new Netscape mailbox

I went to mail.netscape.com and created a new "screen name".

I can't login to a Netscape maibox though ...
Quote:
Mailbox does not exist for this account

We are sorry, but this Screen Name does not have an active or existing Netscape Mail account.
Note: If it has been more than 30 days since your last login, your account would have been deactivated as per Terms of Service.

If you are seeing this message in error, please click here to Sign Out and then go back to mail.netscape.com and Sign In with an active Netscape Mail account.

Or, Sign Out and go to mail.aol.com to check out FREE AIM Mail. You can use your existing Netscape Screen Name for AIM Mail and get 2GB of storage, IMAP access, Web Calendar and many more features not found in Netscape Mail. Check it out today!

If you continue to see this message, please review the Help pages. To learn more about the Mail service, please visit our Home page.

Error Code: C0FE022B
At mailredirect.netscape.com or ncmail.netscape.com, I get the message ...
Quote:
Mailbox Creation In Progress

Your user name has been created, but we are unable to create your mailbox at this time. Your request for a new mailbox has been received and will be processed shortly. Please check back soon for this service. We apologize for any inconvenience.
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old mailbox no good?

I get the same results when I try logging in with my old screen name which I had migrated to AIM.com.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BTW, someone else seems to have registered the "cybersmurf" screen name.

Last edited by CyberSmurf : 18 Jul 2006 at 03:24 AM.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2006, 03:20 AM   #3
CyberSmurf

I guess I could have read the page that kaptitsky linked to.    

Quote:
Can I still sign up for a new Netscape Mail account?
No. New Netscape Mail accounts are no longer being accepted. With the added advantages of AIM Mail, we believe new users will be completely satisfied with the AIM Mail service.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2006, 04:28 AM   #4
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Flexibility to work with Microsoft OutlookŪ and other Mail Clients
This is the most useful feature, currently only Netscape 6/7 is supported through proprietary extensions.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2006, 03:25 AM   #5
jdtaylor
Master of the @

At least they are getting more features, it was time that service moved on as it was really starting to show it's age.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2006, 01:54 AM   #6
denverharless
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
We are sorry, but this Screen Name does not have an active or existing Netscape Mail account.
Note: If it has been more than 30 days since your last login, your account would have been deactivated as per Terms of Service.

If you are seeing this message in error, please click here to Sign Out and then go back to mail.netscape.com and Sign In with an active Netscape Mail account.

Or, Sign Out and go to mail.aol.com to check out FREE AIM Mail. You can use your existing Netscape Screen Name for AIM Mail and get 2GB of storage, IMAP access, Web Calendar and many more features not found in Netscape Mail. Check it out today!

If you continue to see this message, please review the Help pages. To learn more about the Mail service, please visit our Home page.

Error Code: C0FE022B
Rats, it looks like I just lost my old netscape username. Can't login. . . .
denverharless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2006, 01:33 PM   #7
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

They moved the changeover to August 25.

Love this:

Quote:
* For Netscape Mail users who also have an AOLŪ Mail account with the same Screen Name, the Netscape Mail service will be upgraded to AOL Mail, not AIM Mail. All Netscape mail will be transferred and placed in folders which will be located under the 'Saved on AOL' section. For AOL Mail users, storage is unlimited. Saved messages however are kept for a limit of up to approximately 27 days.

** For Netscape Mail users who are upgraded to AOL Mail, there is a limit of up to approximately 27 days on saved messages.
So what's the difference with AIM mail and AOL Mail?

AIM mail means
  • <WRONG>You can recieve mail to your screenname at aol.com, but you can't send from that address though AIM webmail or SMTP<WRONG>
  • You can't login to AOL.com
  • You have only 2GB of storage rather than uinlimited storage
  • You can save mail for more than 27 days!

I'm not sure the move from AIM to Free AOL is worth it for mail.

Last edited by kaptitsky : 25 Aug 2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 07:52 AM   #8
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kaptitsky
They moved the changeover to August 25.

So what's the difference with AIM mail and AOL Mail?

AIM mail means
[*] You can recieve mail to your screenname at aol.com, but you can't send from that address though AIM webmail or SMTP[*] You can't login to AOL.com[*] You have only 2GB of storage rather than uinlimited storage...
Even if your email xyz@aim.com, you still can use email programs (MS Outlook etc) to set your address to xyz@aol.com. It works.

You can login to AOL.com with your aim screen name.

The storage for @aim.com and @aol.com is the same: 2 GB

aol.com and aim.com have same properties (smtp server, IMAP server etc.). The only difference: when you send email via WEB mail, your sender address will be xyz@aim.com if you created your account via www.aim.com or xyz@aol.com if you created your account via www.aol.com . But, again, this applies only to WEB-mail.
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2006, 09:23 AM   #9
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally posted by RFK
Even if your email xyz@aim.com, you still can use email programs (MS Outlook etc) to set your address to xyz@aol.com. It works.

You can login to AOL.com with your aim screen name.

The storage for @aim.com and @aol.com is the same: 2 GB

aol.com and aim.com have same properties (smtp server, IMAP server etc.). The only difference: when you send email via WEB mail, your sender address will be xyz@aim.com if you created your account via www.aim.com or xyz@aol.com if you created your account via www.aol.com . But, again, this applies only to WEB-mail.
This is a nightmare created by aol... I have an aim account, but can't figure out how to login to aol... I went to help and got into chat with a rep and he said only people of the paid services could use aol and help.

I think aol is advertising well but not training reps, making it hard for people to login, and not providing enough details on this new "marketing" venture.

I understand what you posted but people are confused...
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2006, 09:34 AM   #10
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

RFK, your information contradicts what AOL is saying, like the details of storage space/time that they outline for AOL versus AIM mail.

It also contradicts my experience, where I have tried to login to AOL software with an AIM screen name, or when I tried to send mail with an AOL address using an AIm though the AOL SMTP mailservers.

You certianly can set your e-mail address to AOL.com and send mail though another SMTP server, like the one your ISP offers even if you have an AIM.COM account. that is true.

Can you tell me where you get your information?
Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:50 PM   #11
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kaptitsky
RFK, your information contradicts what AOL is saying, like the details of storage space/time that they outline for AOL versus AIM mail.

It also contradicts my experience, where I have tried to login to AOL software with an AIM screen name, or when I tried to send mail with an AOL address using an AIm though the AOL SMTP mailservers.

You certianly can set your e-mail address to AOL.com and send mail though another SMTP server, like the one your ISP offers even if you have an AIM.COM account. that is true.

Can you tell me where you get your information?
First of all, you can register free @aol.com email account and compare the properties of @aol.com and @aim.com email accounrs. They are the same !

Second, xyz@aol.com and xyz@aim.com point the the same mailbox. You can easy verify this. Also, if you registered xyz@aim.com before August 2006 (when @aol.com was not free), you have got an alias xyz@aol.com for free.

Third, if you register now free email address xyz@aol.com, you get access to all services of AIM (opposite also true, except, of course, dial-up internet service).

In reality, you register not email addres xyz@aol.com or xyz@aim.com but screen name XYZ which provides you access to services of AOL. Some of them are free (like AIM or email addresses xyz@aol.com and xyz@aim.com wchch are the basically the same mailbox), some of them are paid/premium services. But the level of service is not determined how you registered your email address (via www.aol.com or www.aim.com).

For example, I can login to AOL video portal with my "AIM" screen name and with my another "AOL" screen name.

Regarding AOL mail servers:

The situation is following.

Let's say you initially registered your email address via aim.com and your address is xyz@aim.com

If you want to use email program like Outlook Express and to use email address xyz@aim.com, your imap server may be one of two:
imap.aim.com or imap.aol.com. As I told before - it does not matter - the storage is the same.

But if you want to send email from xyz@aim.com you MUST use SMTP server smtp.aim.com. If you use smtp.aol.com with your sender address xyz@aim.com, your email will be rejected.

You can set your email address to xyz@AOL.com (even if your native address is xyz@AIM.com). In this case your SMTP server may be one of two: smtp.aol.com or smtp.aim.com
IMAP server also may be one of two: imap.aim.com or imap.aol.com

Last edited by RFK : 25 Aug 2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 01:36 PM   #12
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by RFK
First of all, you can register free @aol.com email account and compare the properties of @aol.com and @aim.com email accounrs. They are the same !

This page very clearly says that there are signifigant differences, as I outlined above.

http://about.aol.com/faq/netscapemail

Quote:

Second, xyz@aol.com and xyz@aim.com point the the same mailbox. You can easy verify this.

As I said, mail to aim.com and aol.com come to the same mailbox, the same mailbox as netscape.net if you have that address.

But the mailbox they come to is either AOL or AIM, and there are differences in storage and in outbound mail addressing

Quote:

Third, if you register now free email address xyz@aol.com, you get access to all services of AIM (opposite also true, except, of course, dial-up internet service).

In reality, you register not email addres xyz@aol.com or xyz@aim.com but screen name XYZ which provides you access to services of AOL. Some of them are free (like AIM or email addresses xyz@aol.com and xyz@aim.com wchch are the basically the same mailbox), some of them are paid/premium services. But the level of service is not determined how you registered your email address (via www.aol.com or www.aim.com).

For example, I can login to AOL video portal with my "AIM" screen name and with my another "AOL" screen name.

I have a copy of AOL 9.0 software on my computer.

I can login with my free AOL screenname, but not with any of my AIM screen names.

While some services are free to both AOL and AIM, access via AOL software is not yet one of them.

This may well change, but has not yet.

Quote:

Regarding AOL mail servers:

The situation is following.

Let's say you initially registered your email address via aim.com and your address is xyz@aim.com

If you want to use email program like Outlook Express and to use email address xyz@aim.com, your imap server may be one of two:
imap.aim.com or imap.aol.com. As I told before - it does not matter - the storage is the same.

But if you want to send email from xyz@aim.com you MUST use SMTP server smtp.aim.com. If you use smtp.aol.com with your sender address xyz@aim.com, your email will be rejected.

You can set your email address to xyz@AOL.com (even if your native address is xyz@AIM.com). In this case your SMTP server may be one of two: smtp.aol.com or smtp.aim.com
IMAP server also may be one of two: imap.aim.com or imap.aol.com
I have not been able to authenticate for sending with an @AOL.com address using an AIM registered screen name, no matter which SMTP server (smtp.aim.com or smtp.aol.com) I use.

I don't know anyone who can.

Can you?

Summary:

1) AIM and AOL screennames are different

2) One of those differences, according to AOL, is the mail storage criteria: AOL-unlimited, 27 day, AIM 2Gb, no date limit.

3) AIM screennames cannot send mail with an @aol.com address via SMTP or webmail. AOL screennames cannot send mail with an @aim.com address via SMTP or webmail.

4) AIM screennames cannot login with AOL software.

5) Mail to YourScreenName@aol.com or YourScreenName@aim.com (or even YourScreenName@Netscape.net) do go to the same mailbox.

I agree that these are limited differences, and may go away in the future, may change somehow.

But the differences do exist.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 09:31 PM   #13
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Summary:

1) AIM and AOL screennames are different
Minor, very minor differences.
Quote:
2) One of those differences, according to AOL, is the mail storage criteria: AOL-unlimited, 27 day, AIM 2Gb, no date limit.
Yesterday I created @aim.com and free @aol.com email accounts. No visible differences (same mailbix size 2GB, same interface). Well, @aol.com size may be increased when you approaching to 2 GB limit using confirmation email, but the question is how many years it takes to reach this limit (for example, my gmail mailbox size is only 170 MB and I use this mailbox 2 years). I do not undesrtand what do you mean under "27 days". The messages in Inbox not deleted even after 1 year in my @aim.com inbox and I do not care about messages in "Trash"

Quote:
3) AIM screennames cannot send mail with an @aol.com address via SMTP or webmail. AOL screennames cannot send mail with an @aim.com address via SMTP or webmail.
Incorrect. If you have "AIM" screen name (let's say xyz@aim.com), you can send emails from xyz@aol.com using SMTP server smtp.aol.com. I tested this yesterday before posting my previous post

Quote:
4) AIM screennames cannot login with AOL software.
Please, provide example of such software. I must admit that I do not use any AOL software except AIM Triton, but for the purpose of this discussion 10 minutes ago I downloaded AOL browser and successfully used it with my AIM screen name.

Quote:
But the differences do exist. [/b]
Yes, the differences exist. But from email point of view, the differences between free @aol.com email account and @aim.com email account are very minor, almost invisible

Last edited by RFK : 25 Aug 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 10:52 PM   #14
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

I restested, and you are correct, there have been changes -- you can send from an @aol.com address with an aim screen name, if you use SMTP.AOL.COM.

There are some interesting twigs. Headers from a mail message sent that way:

Quote:

Return-path: <SCREENNAME@aim.com>
Received: from SCREENNAME@aim.com
by imo-m28.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v38_r7.6.) id g.57f.4087c59 (48347)
for <TO_ADDRESSS>; Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:01:48 -0400 (EDT)
X-SA-Exim-Mail-From: SCREENNAME@aim.com
As you can see, the AOL mail server sees your "real" address as @AIM.com

As to AOL software, well, AOL software is AOL software, and what AOL is to most. Download it yourself and see

And as to the differences in storage, I can only refer you to the page referenced, where AOL themselves make it clear.

I went in with Mulberry and looked at the quota screens. One says "AOL Standard Account" and one says "AIM Standard" so the server knows the accounts are different. AIM Standard has counts on size and items, while AOL Standard only has item counts on unseen, seen and delete, no size entry.

Thank you for demonstrating that you can now send with an AOL address from an AIM screen name.

That information makes the point I started with more true -- it's not worth moving an AIM screen name to free AOL for mail, because quoted storage limits trade size for time. Only if you need access to AOL software is it useful.

Last edited by kaptitsky : 25 Aug 2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 06:40 AM   #15
bilbo

netscape mail to outlook express

Can I use outlook express to access my username@netscape.net mail account? I have no problem setting up other sites, but netscape seems to be unworkable. Is that why they changed to aim.com? I really don't want to change my e-mail address, but I would like the use of outlook?

Thanks,
Bilbo
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote