EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 11 Feb 2005, 06:28 PM   #1
JeffK

Unhappy Demise of Australia's Internet Directory

I know it won't mean anything to most of you but Australia's premier and quirkiest computer magazine, Australia's Internet Directory (AID) has been discontinued.

This is sad for me as I looked forward to every issue. It was a truly remarkable magazine and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Author and journalist Gareth Powell (who also has written widely on travel, technology, photography, motorbikes etc etc) and his wife Brenda have reincarnated much of the magazine on websites I thought might be of interest to forum members.

Quoting from his email to me...

"Free software (including Wanda) www.freewareaid.com
My blog (updated daily except Sunday) www.bloggeroff.com
Sites reviewed by AID (more added once a week) www.sitesaid.com
A guide to videomaking (a work in progress) www.camaid1.com
Travel advice (updated most days) www.travaid1.com"

sitesaid is a compendium of websites, many of which are unusual. freewareaid reviews some freeware, it is not as good as the magazine but is an alternative to the "all you can eat" shareware/freeware sites. bloggeroff gives something of the style of Gareth's writing and his wide media experience. These sites give an idea of the look and feel of the magazine with literary quotes, "vintage" graphics and witty writing.

The original magazine had some erotic content which I don't believe is included in these sites. But if you find anything please PM me and I shall remove the link from here.

I shall now retire to bed and cry myself to sleep. I can only think of one thing worse in Cyberworld and that would be the loss of this forum. Of course there are a lot of worse things in real life so one can do nothing but count one's blessings.

Jeff

Last edited by JeffK : 11 Feb 2005 at 07:08 PM.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Feb 2005, 11:04 PM   #2
Gankaku

Jeff,

I know your pain. Both of my favorite UK magazines were shut down. One was Internet Magazine. I was dying. Then I found another that was similar (also a UK magazine) and they stopped that too. I was crushed. There's nothing else I can find her in the US that's comparable. The only PC magazine I like now is PC World. It just doesn't hold a candle to those UK magazines.

Know also that this doesn't just happen to magazines and sites. Your favorite clothing store is wide open to having this happen - it's happened to me. I don't know where to shop anymore because I really loved their selection and prices. It has also happened to one of my favorite cosmetics companies, CCB Paris. They just closed down their US site and catalog. My sister, my daughter and I are so upset because their stuff was great, and the skincare worked so well. Then of course it happens to your favorite product in a product line. It's happened so many times to me I can't count.

So thanks for sharing that post with the sites. I'm jumping over to the freeware site now to check it out.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 09:53 AM   #3
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Re: Demise of Australia's Internet Directory

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK

I shall now retire to bed and cry myself to sleep. I can only think of one thing worse in Cyberworld and that would be the loss of this forum. Of course there are a lot of worse things in real life so one can do nothing but count one's blessings.

Jeff
Oh croikey Jeff
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 11:00 AM   #4
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

To me computer magazines stopped being fun a couple of years after soldering irons stopped being a common prerequisite to computer ownership. I think it's surprising they are still around at all.

Some things benefit from being on paper, but an internet diectory surely doesn't. Time to move on.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote