EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: How many Hotmail accounts have you?
I have none 14 29.17%
I have one 11 22.92%
I have two 13 27.08%
I have up to ten 8 16.67%
I have more than ten 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Nov 2001, 05:49 PM   #1
Shelded

How many Hotmail accounts have you?

A recent post mentioned a large number of mail accounts (40) and I thought it sounded like a way to work around the 2MB limits Hotmail has as long as no single messages exceed 2MB (not practical, but possible). Microsoft (MicrosOffed?) claims that they have over 100 million users. Do they? or do they have 25 million users with 4 accounts each?

How many Hotmail accounts have you?

If your spouse/mother/child has one you signed them up for I would count it as yours, if you are the influencial person in the matter.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Nov 2001, 08:17 PM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Hmm... the poll doesn't work for me ("your session is invalid").

I have one. (That's more than enough, thanks!)
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2001, 08:07 AM   #3
princessmaeve

I've got two that I use... Both to collect mainly spam (one for my website and the other for college mail).... Not happy with hotmail, but I'm kind of stuck because I don't want to go through the trouble of informing the senders of legitimate mail that I've changed... lol (yeah, I'm lazy)
princessmaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2001, 02:26 PM   #4
odedp
Master of the @

...I've got NONE, and that's more than enough
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2001, 04:14 PM   #5
Lvsheng
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by odedp
...I've got NONE, and that's more than enough
I also got one but that is in the past, now the account is inactive.

So I will say that I have none, and that's is more than enough
Lvsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2001, 02:23 AM   #6

I have two. I signed up for one so that I could use Messenger, but rarely use it for anything. I log in and send an email once in a while just to keep it active. I rarely get spam in this account.

However, eight days ago I went thru the motions of signing up for another account so that I could read the Hotmail terms of service agreement. I ended up actually registering the account. I was going to ignore it and not log in for the first ten days and let it lapse. Out of curiosity I logged and found it full of spam - 30 as of today. I have never given this address to anyone.

BOY those marketers are good! Or is it slime?
Old 12 Nov 2001, 02:36 AM   #7
Kyle Babich
Cornerstone of the Community

Why do so many people signup with hotmail just to use msn messenger?

All you need to do is a get a passport from passport.com using any email address you want, and then login to msn messenger with that username and password.
Kyle Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2001, 03:20 AM   #8

Re Hotmail for Passport

Well, I can only speak for myself about why I signed up for Hotmail to use MSN messenger. At that time I had not been on line for over two years, and had no email address to give them (other than my ISP account, which I was certainly not going to use).

Hotmail seemed at the time to be as good an acount as any to use. I have always know the value of having "real accounts" and accounts that you maintain simply to use when you have to provide an email address at a site. Altho I didn't end up using Hotmail for that, having the account has been harmless.
Old 12 Nov 2001, 06:25 AM   #9
Lvsheng
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Babich
Why do so many people signup with hotmail just to use msn messenger?

All you need to do is a get a passport from passport.com using any email address you want, and then login to msn messenger with that username and password.
Then MS will start to spam on that address.
Lvsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2001, 04:24 PM   #10
Shelded

Apparently the silent ones are the ones with more than 5 accounts. I would like to hear what is driving you to do that.

I'll share my biggest reason for having even one Hotmail account: they're likely to be the very last one to begin charging for a modest mail account, and won't go away. So I have an account there and one at Yahoo so I can point my domains to both of them. I change ISP's and mail accounts regularly but the domains are lifetime requirements and it would be too nasty to have them go down tangled up with a mail provider.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2001, 09:04 PM   #11
Kyle Babich

I have a passport account with one of my non-hotmail email addresses and I never get any spam.

I'm also not sure how many hotmail accounts I have, but I'm pretty sure that none of them are still open. When I was new on the internet, I spent a few weeks trying to figure out how to get an email address other than my isps' (stupid me). Then, of course, I jumped at the first thing I saw, MSN Hotmail. After I found out how many better services there were I only maintained one account, which I then stopped a few years ago.
Kyle Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2001, 12:40 PM   #12
dragon1

One is enough

I had one account months ago which I ended up closing due to all of the spam it was collecting vs. legitimate mail. I found out it was because I opted-in to the newsletters, etc. upon signup.

I've another one now, signup done properly, that I use for when I don't want to use my other webmail accounts. I still collect an occasional spam -- don't know how they got the addy -- but it's not as bad as before.

Janet
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2001, 03:38 AM   #13
CyberSmurf

the Microsoft connection

Internet Explorer defaults to msn.com (which has a Hotmail tab).
Outlook Express defaults to setting up a new Hotmail account.
Messenger defaults to setting up a new Hotmail account.

Microsoft is directing a lot of traffic towards Hotmail sign-ups.

Plus, virtually everyone gets an e-mail from someone with a Hotmail account. (Gee, must be a good service, it's so popular ).

Then, there are the people that sign up, forget their passwords, and sign up for another account.

- - -

Me, I signed up so that I would know what Hotmail featured. That way, when I tell people about other free e-mail providers I would have some basis for comparison.

I am currently letting my Hotmail account go dormant. I plan on reviving it in 2002, IF I am able (re: Hotmail cancelling accounts that haven't been used for 30 days). I like to experiment with services, I am curious if some of the 600+ spams per month that I get will go away if they start getting bounces.

Since Hotmail does not offer POP, and I use Eudora, my Hotmail address was not one I used in correspondence. But friends on Messenger would send mail to that address. I am using a non-Hotmail address for my current MSN Passport.

- - -

Do you think that Microsoft is using Hotmail to influence more people to use Outlook Express instead of other e-mail clients, since Outlook & Outlook Express are the only e-mail clients (that I know of) that support HTTP mail servers? Plus, they automatically have MSN (.NET) Passports, which makes the .NET concept LOOK popular.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2001, 09:29 AM   #14
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Cybersmurf, you bring up some interesting issues. My understanding is that Hotmail will eventually be replaced by 'MyMessages', part of the forthcoming HailStorm strategy (more details here).HailStorm unfortunately is a stratagy that centralizes all the power at the feet of Microsoft. It's a case of DOS/Windows all over again. And with Passport built into Windows XP, MS use their OS monopoly to get a web services monopoly for free.

The difficulty for competitors is that Passport has special hooks for MS services that other people can't access, so competitors can never create quite the same user experience that MS can. This may lead to the same issues that providers of competitive office products had when MS changed the OS to make Lotus 123 crash, or like the undocumented Windows APIs that MS Office uses to make it run faster and gain access to additional services.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2001, 01:28 PM   #15
FrankoSport

I Voted None. Actually, there are 4 accounts -- all inactive

Two reasons I don't like Hotmail.

• 1: Can not get attachments--particularly images--to download properly.

• 2: Whenever you log out, Hotmail forwards you to MSN.COM. I didn't ASK them to do that!

So, I'll let all 4 of my Hotmail accounts go bye-bye!

Thanx-A-Lot, Enjoy and God Bless Vespucci-Land,
FrankoSport

Last edited by FrankoSport : 23 Nov 2001 at 01:37 PM.
FrankoSport is offline   Reply With Quote