EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Apr 2022, 03:49 AM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Custom Swipes

@Fastmail on Twitter:

Quote:
Try it now on Beta! Use Custom Swipes to set up 4 unique actions that empower your workflow.

To check out this new feature in the mobile app and give us your feedback, navigate to Settings > Device Settings > Show Advanced Settings, and tap on Beta
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Apr 2022, 07:24 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes! I set this up and like the feature.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2022, 11:29 PM   #3
bertradio

Very nice!
bertradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2022, 12:09 AM   #4
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Warning to anyone with poor hand dexterity - you might never see that vital email ever again!
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2022, 10:28 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenman View Post
Warning to anyone with poor hand dexterity - you might never see that vital email ever again!
I don’t understand your comment about this beta feature, since it lets you disable the swipe to delete standard feature!
  • In Production, swiping left deletes a message. This moves the message to the Trash folder. You can control in your folder settings whether messages in Trash auto-purge or remain there forever until you choose to purge them. You can't set the auto-purge delay shorter than one day.
  • With the new swipe options in Beta, you can choose to disable any swipe to Trash, or you can force the swipe to be longer, and disable short swipes.
In addition to these features, Fastmail has an UNDO feature which lets you immediately undo some major action such as a Delete. As noted above, messages can not be permanently deleted with a swipe in any case - they just go to the Trash folder.

Bill
Old 25 Apr 2022, 03:51 PM   #6
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks, for your balanced reply, Bill. You're right. I was rather fumbling around at first and sending messages I knew not where.

In fact, now I've got used to it I'm finding it useful. It became easier to make the correct gesture even with my hand tremor.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2022, 06:13 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenman View Post
… In fact, now I've got used to it I'm finding it useful. It became easier to make the correct gesture even with my hand tremor.
I’m glad you got it set up well to work with your personal situation. I have a couple of friends with essential tremor symptoms. One of them went to using speech to text for a while because his typing became too uncontrolled, and the other recently had a brain stimulator surgically installed and that helped quite a bit.

I have some arthritis in my hands but so far it isn’t very bad. But I’m getting cataracts and my right eye can’t be focused to 20/20 and so most reading uses my left eye. I had a medical checkup this morning and my doctor is getting a referral set up so I can look at getting surgery to one eye at a time for the cataracts. As I type this on my large iPad, I notice that the characters are quite distorted and hard to read with my right eye only, even though my progressive focus glasses were updated late last year.

These problems can affect people at nearly any age, but as we get older it’s more likely to be affected by these maladies. I will reach my 69th birthday in about 5 months and have been using some type of email messaging since before there was an internet or IBM PC.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 27 Apr 2022 at 07:36 AM. Reason: typo