EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 21 Jun 2014, 07:27 AM   #16
pin
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
It's a great deal for the money. Note EuMX has no management interface. You can't manage users (create/destroy/lockout accounts, change passwords) yourself you have to email support to do it.
Ahh, that answers my question before I asked it! I was wondering if EuMX has an account manager system like Tuffmails as I have quite a number of aliases and mail forwards to set up. However, I see soromak mentions they have on in the works so one to look forward to then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
As you are the same side of the pond as me (a few miles down the road, in fact!) I would IMHO suggest Runbox could most probably fulfil your needs.
Hello Fred, good to see another northerner I have no doubt that Runbox (or Fastmail as it happens) would be more than suitable for my requirements. My issue is cost as most of my family don't contribute towards my little email domain. Only my wife and I use email extensively so I am looking at ways to leave Tuffmail and save a few £ if I can.

Maybe it would be worth me setting myself and my wife up with an account somewhere decent and forwarding the rest of the families emails to somewhere else

Does anyone know if you can mix standard and gift accounts on a domain at EuMX? i.e. can my wife and I sign up for a standard accounts and the other 2 members of the family have gift accounts?
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2014, 07:44 AM   #17
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by pin View Post
Ahh, that answers my question before I asked it! I was wondering if EuMX has an account manager system like Tuffmails as I have quite a number of aliases and mail forwards to set up.
You can set up aliases and forwards yourself, without contacting support. You just can't do accounts. It's a little wonky in that you need to edit and upload text files rather than point and click, but it's not difficult.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2014, 04:37 PM   #18
soromak

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
It's a great deal for the money. Note EuMX has no management interface. You can't manage users (create/destroy/lockout accounts, change passwords) yourself you have to email support to do it. Being separate accounts, they all have separate quotas, and EuMX's quotas are substantial. It's a shame you can't, for example, share file storage quota between them. I'd also like EuMX to upgrade Dovecot to use Maildir format mailboxes.
just got a reply from EuMX support that other interface to manage accounts is in the works as well as introduction of "Maildir or even better format". AFAIK Maildir is not offered at the moment by EuMX because of the lack of support for Maildir in OWM.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2014, 04:46 PM   #19
soromak

Quote:

Maybe it would be worth me setting myself and my wife up with an account somewhere decent and forwarding the rest of the families emails to somewhere else

Does anyone know if you can mix standard and gift accounts on a domain at EuMX? i.e. can my wife and I sign up for a standard accounts and the other 2 members of the family have gift accounts?
Yes, i think it is possible. I started with a paid account for myself and a gift for my wife and sister and then we converted my wife to a paid account, the only difference is now her 25GB quota. But EuMX support created shared folders for mail and shared folders for files in various configurations for us and everything works like a charm for a few years now. And ActiveSync and CardDAV/CalDAV work even on the gift account.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2014, 10:29 PM   #20
zinneken

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
...the need to be able to quickly contact a knowledgeable human to solve any problem, especially if you have the needs of a family or SOHO to satisfy, you may need to look elsewhere...
I would disagree here. My experience with EUMX is that every time I contacted them I had a response pretty quickly, and a resolution within 2 hours.

Coming from tuffmail I switched a year ago. Some of the comments are right:
- better anti spam at tuffmail, eumx could do better here most of the time
- better reliability of service at tuffmail (eumx having from time to time a network provider issue)
- similar if not better customiseability at EUMX, but not everything through the web interface (some of the customising stuff you just ask support)
- as austere if not more austere then tuffmail
- cheaper then tuffmail
- as responsive support as tuffmail in the John days
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2014, 10:35 PM   #21
zinneken

Quote:
The good thing about eumx is: ask and you shall get. They are the most accommodating email provider I have experienced. I'm pretty sure if you are a family using for family use (not blasting emails) and you ask them nicely they'll just add a few boxes.
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2014, 10:35 PM   #22
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
just got a reply from EuMX support that other interface to manage accounts is in the works as well as introduction of "Maildir or even better format". AFAIK Maildir is not offered at the moment by EuMX because of the lack of support for Maildir in OWM.
Some systems don't use a regular filesystem to store email, they store emails as records in a SQL database. Way better than Maildir, especially for searching and sorting. Perhaps EuMX is going in that direction. I think Runbox does that in RMM6.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2014, 10:47 PM   #23
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
I would disagree here.
If you quote the single criterion, as opposed to the criteria in the complete paragraph, the result is skewed somewhat.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2017, 10:43 AM   #24
mikev99

Post Tuffmail Move?

I too have been a long time user of Tuffmail. I have tons of aliases, some domains, minor Sieve scripts, and so on. The account management tools are almost as complete as running my own email server. I cringe at the thought of changing.

Which, of all the different services mentioned, will provide a flexible and robust set of management tools with all the MX capabilities?

Arggggg

Mike

Edit: FWIW

Rollernet.us is very flexible and has ActiveSync (located in US for US users). Cost not that far out of line.
Runbox.com not as technical, no ActiveSync yet, cost competitive. They have a migration tool; not sure about Rollernet.
May try Rollernet.

Edit 2: Update
Gotta stay with Tuffmail. I look at all the features I use and sorta take for granted and try to find something to take its place and am unable to find anything with everything. Besides, John is back!

Last edited by mikev99 : 18 Jul 2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Did Research
mikev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2017, 12:04 PM   #25
mikev99

Thumbs up Security Patches Applied

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
Tuffmail do not even bother to update servers with security patches. Just check webmail.tuffmail.net at SSLlabs webpage...
Truly sad ... Tuffmail fails with a grade of F; in contrast Runbox gets an A+ as does Rollernet.us.

Edit: It has been fixed. Run the test again, be sure to clear the cache. It gets grade of A

Last edited by mikev99 : 17 Jul 2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Update
Old 16 Jul 2017, 01:09 PM   #26
ioneja

I'm shocked they're still in business. I was a very happy customer many years ago, but lost confidence when the ownership changed, so I jumped ship... amazed that it's still going, but not surprised that the SSLlabs report is not great. But I will gladly admit that Tuffmail had the very unusual qualities of incredible granular control over your accounts. That always impressed me... very tough to find a service that comes close to the breadth of backend features these days.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2017, 05:09 AM   #27
mikev99

Cool John to Return

FWIW, I have been told that John is returning and does have some improvements in mind.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 05:24 AM   #28
altmodisch

Interesting. Do you have any more details to share? When, for example?
altmodisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2017, 05:26 AM   #29
filtered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev99 View Post
FWIW, I have been told that John is returning and does have some improvements in mind.
Could you tell us what is the source of this information ?
filtered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2017, 07:41 AM   #30
mikev99

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtered View Post
Could you tell us what is the source of this information ?
Source is associated with Tuffmail and was reluctant to tell me more. He told me to hang in and that I would not be disappointed.

Email Customer Support and ask if rumor is true.

Mike