EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Aug 2013, 01:01 AM   #1
mister
Essential Contributor

Startmail

https://support.startpage.com/index....s-do-you-offer

Startpage and Ixquick are known as search engines that don't track their users.
I imagine their email will have an accent on privacy.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Aug 2013, 02:37 AM   #2
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
https://support.startpage.com/index....s-do-you-offer

Startpage and Ixquick are known as search engines that don't track their users.
I imagine their email will have an accent on privacy.
Just FYI, there's another thread mentioning this.
B4its2L8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2013, 08:42 PM   #3
zinneken

Update on startmail status found in their support pages:
https://support.startpage.com/index....to-be-released

Fingers crossed they're just around the corner and we can have a try of them?!
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2013, 02:25 AM   #4
ozar

I signed up as a beta tester quite a while back, but haven't heard anything further from them, except a welcoming email to the beta testers group. Hope the testing will begin soon.
ozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2013, 03:12 AM   #5
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
I signed up as a beta tester quite a while back, but haven't heard anything further from them, except a welcoming email to the beta testers group. Hope the testing will begin soon.
I also signed up as a beta tester a couple of months ago, but I have heard nothing from them at all. I did not receive the 'welcoming email' that you received. I wonder if my registration was properly enrolled.

LATER NOTE AND CORRECTION -- I owe an apology to Startmail. After checking further among old messages, I found that they did indeed send an acknowledgment of my enrollment last June, and I wanted to correct the mistake.

Last edited by communicant : 29 Aug 2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: correction
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2013, 06:33 AM   #6
ozar

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
LATER NOTE AND CORRECTION -- I owe an apology to Startmail. After checking further among old messages, I found that they did indeed send an acknowledgment of my enrollment last June, and I wanted to correct the mistake.
Glad you found the confirmation email and hope we'll soon be testing the new service!
ozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2013, 05:56 AM   #7
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

I experimented with a Startpage search - but what does it mean when it offers you an option of "View by Ixquick Proxy"? Does that mean that the site will not know that it's you who's visiting? What if you posted something on the site?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2013, 07:07 AM   #8
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
I experimented with a Startpage search - but what does it mean when it offers you an option of "View by Ixquick Proxy"? Does that mean that the site will not know that it's you who's visiting? What if you posted something on the site?
1) This thread is about Startmail, the new mail service from Startpage/Ixquick that is about to begin beta testing. I hope we can prevent this thread from becoming a confused mixture of posts relating to Startmail and those relating to the Startpage and Ixquick search engines, otherwise the thread will quickly become muddled and less useful.

2) Your question can be at least partially answered if you return to the Startpage site and click on some of the informational material. The answer to your question is fairly simple but involves several components; and, as noted above, neither the question nor the answer really belongs in this thread. Please revisit the Startpage site and see if it provides adequate clarification for you. If not, then let's start another thread (which may belong in the off-topic forum since it is not directly concerned with email).

Later edit -- I now see that the thread does indeed include posts that mention the search engines, so perhaps the two topics can be blended here after all. I do suggest, however, that you search the forum for earlier threads dealing with the search engines first. I believe a link to one such thread is provided above by somebody.

Last edited by communicant : 1 Sep 2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: correction and clarification
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2013, 10:49 AM   #9
RunboxCustomer

I wish that I had gotten in on the beta testing. Alas, I must wait. However, I do wonder where the servers are located.
RunboxCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2013, 04:19 PM   #10
zdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunboxCustomer View Post
I wish that I had gotten in on the beta testing. Alas, I must wait. However, I do wonder where the servers are located.
I can't find this information. Has anybody figured it out?
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2013, 05:11 PM   #11
zinneken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdt View Post
I can't find this information. Has anybody figured it out?
enlisting to the beta test phase has been closed, you'll have to wait until they roll out the service to the general public.

I haven't received my beta tester invitation yet, so I think the general roll-out is still a while away.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 04:15 AM   #12
zdt

I signed up fr the beta testing but nothing happened except from that welcome email. My question "Has anybody figured it out?" was referring to "I do wonder where the servers are located".
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2013, 05:37 AM   #13
zinneken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdt View Post
I signed up fr the beta testing but nothing happened except from that welcome email. My question "Has anybody figured it out?" was referring to "I do wonder where the servers are located".
Got you now! No idea where their mail servers would be located. But regardless of where they would be located, they'd be subject to some legislation, so I'm eagerly looking forward to see where, and how they can justify the "private" part of startmail's claim. We'll just have to wait and see...

EDIT: in terms of privacy, they're good going already!! (sarcastically) gstatic & godaddy stuff gets loaded when visiting the page.

Last edited by zinneken : 25 Sep 2013 at 05:42 AM.