EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Setting up/running an email service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Setting up/running an email service If you're setting up an email service from scratch, or running one, exchange ideas and tips with other Webmasters here...

Old 24 Aug 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Offering e-mail accounts to forum members

I've had this idea in mind since jeffpan commenced offering accounts on his mail2000.us domain.

I have a long-term domain registered (until 2020), that I have set up with Windows Live Domains.

I have a few e-mail accounts there, but of course with Windows Live Domains you can have 500 accounts registered.

Just wondering if there are any drawbacks to offering this - for example, account holders using it to spam, getting the domain blacklisted, etc.

Any one here have experience/advice on this?

Your comments welcome.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Aug 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Cory
Essential Contributor

With Windows Live service I think you can actually set it up so people can register without you having to do it for them. However that is a good question about if its a bad or good idea, and if spammers could go crazy with it or not.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2013, 02:41 AM   #3
RunboxCustomer

I have a domain for email on Live that is used by members of a veterans organization that I belong to. I don't use it myself, but I'm the administrator. I don't have abuse issues because I know everyone that has an account, which I presume is usually the case for those who administer accounts on Live.
RunboxCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2013, 04:54 AM   #4
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Did they ever enable the ability to create a catch-all?
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2013, 02:20 AM   #5
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Did they ever enable the ability to create a catch-all?
Nope. Unfortunately. And aliases are limited to 10.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2013, 03:57 AM   #6
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I'll never understand that..
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2013, 03:25 AM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
Nope. Unfortunately. And aliases are limited to 10.
I'm pretty sure that the aliases would have to be hotmail/live/outlook.com ones - not your domain name.

I had another domain name with Windows Live Domains - the main account, that I wanted 2 aliases for.

The only way that I knew how to do this was to create 2 more accounts, and forward the e-mails from them to my main account.

Not very satisfactory at all.

Then I thought about the My Opera Mail account I have - Fastmail based of course, and I had 2GB space there because I had the account for a while.

What I did there was add the 3 accounts e-mail addresses into My Opera Mail, so I could then "send as" those e-mail addresses.

Then I changed the MX records for that domain back to my Google Apps (free) account - set up groups for those new addresses to all go to my same @myoperamail.com account.

That way, I don't show that myopera address to anyone.

Not perfect, especially as regards to SPF/DKIM, but nonetheless working better than with Windows Live Domains.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2013, 10:25 AM   #8
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I'm pretty sure that the aliases would have to be hotmail/live/outlook.com ones - not your domain name.

I had another domain name with Windows Live Domains - the main account, that I wanted 2 aliases for.

The only way that I knew how to do this was to create 2 more accounts, and forward the e-mails from them to my main account.

Not very satisfactory at all.
Well, it isn't very satisfactory.

However, it is possible to have aliases in your own domain, as long as you do not want more than 10 per mailbox (including the defining address for the mailbox). There is at present no web-based way to define these, but it seems Microsoft exposes the process through its API for Windows Live Domains, and someone has written a command line program to add, list and delete such aliases. I used it and it works well, though I ran into the 10 alias limit. And there is no catchall capability either. So I gave up on Windows Live Domains, at least for the time being.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2013, 02:24 AM   #9
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
What's the goal of the free email accounts for members?

Does it have anything to do with the recent security / privacy / anti-snooping concerns?

I think I fall in the don't care if I'm snooped category though, as long as the overall initiative is really helping to stop the bad guys.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote