EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 30 Nov 2006, 11:15 AM   #1
mailboy
Essential Contributor

Tuffmail rate hike

I just noticed on their webpage that Tuffmail's rates have been raised. Does anyone know when they changed?
E.g. 1 mailbox 1 giga was $28/yr but now it's $34/yr.
mailboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Nov 2006, 11:22 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

I can't answer your question mailboy but Tuffmail increased their rates about six or seven months ago. It seems a bit much to raise prices twice in less than a year.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2006, 11:27 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

I should add that the last time they raised their rates they grandfathered their existing customers (at the time of the increase) so they could renew at the old price.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 02:10 PM   #4
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

Well I've got the 4 mailbox multi-user plan, no notifications were sent to existing customers to renew at the old price. I believe I got the plan when it was $72 (pretty sure anyway) and now it's $96. I was planning on adding another mailbox, but I'll have to rethink it now, maybe see what Fastmail's business/family accounts are like once they're actually implemented, which will hopefully be soon since their eternal domain split finally happened.

I just don't see myself paying more than $100/year for email for my entire family, no matter how amazing Tuffmail and Fastmail are. I love advanced email features, but one of these days I'm going to have to rethink it all if it gets too expensive, since it is an additional cost when added on top of other net providers I pay for (ISP, Webhost, NSP, Domains, etc). Tons of free email out there (Gmail, Yahoo, etc), my ISP gives me email, my webhost gives me email, my school, my work, etc. Hope this isn't a trend for all email providers out there.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2006, 01:32 AM   #5
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

What made Tuffmail appealing to me was that they provided domain hosting on their lowest level accounts, but they are pushing the price of those lowest level accounts up close to Fastmail's extended account.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2006, 06:15 AM   #6
markwolk
Essential Contributor

Tuffmail's reliability, service and interface are unbeatable, I think, and still priced below its closest competitor (for my needs), fastmail.fm. I welcome any rate increase that will make my preferred mail supplier a more viable business. There is obviously a certain threshold past which everyone has to consider whether it is still worth paying for it; but, for me, we are still quite far away from that threshold.
markwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2006, 10:29 AM   #7
mailboy
Essential Contributor

Thank you everyone. The prices may be still worth paying for the services/features/storage, but like Spooon69 said, I may have to prioritize things and I don't know if paying for a premium email continues to be my priority...
After all, I would have liked to see or receive an announcement about the rate hike from Tuffmail.
Old 3 Dec 2006, 08:40 AM   #8
mikev99
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus
What made Tuffmail appealing to me was that they provided domain hosting on their lowest level accounts, but they are pushing the price of those lowest level accounts up close to Fastmail's extended account.
Tuffmail's feature that allows me to have infinite unique email addresses that can be removed (without a catch all) and control the MX filtering has reduced my spam to zero. I have used it for about a year now and have pretty much stopped using Fastmail except for storage (since it is already prepaid).
mikev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2006, 03:35 AM   #9
JeffK

I've been going to post this for a while but I recognise that many if not most of the forum members do not wish to pay for their email.

I seem to have very little spam getting through With a Tuffmail front end feeding into a fastmail account. Most of the spam blocked by the Tuffmail fillters. For the 50 to 100 spams caught by Tuffmail each day there are only 1 or 2, often zero finishing in my inbox. No false positives that I can tell. I should say that most of the spam is to known addresses info@..., admin@... etc but I still use Tuffmails filters to block it.

By contrast my account at work is receiving 20-25 a day and letting 5 through with false positives everyday, even from whitelisted senders like eBay.

A colleagues Runbox account is trapping about 10 a day and letting 1 or 2 through although after a cleanout over a week ago no spam seems to have been delivered at all.

Most of my spam now is image spam coming through my ISP account which I only use for notices from them.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2006, 04:08 AM   #10
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
I've been going to post this for a while but I recognise that many if not most of the forum members do not wish to pay for their email.

I seem to have very little spam getting through With a Tuffmail front end feeding into a fastmail account...
Though I only have a very limited experience using Tuffmail, I agree that it is excellent when it comes to battling spam, maybe the best I've tried. I'd also say that if users want some meaningful configurability when it comes to setting spam filters, they'll probably have to pay for it or run their own server. The only freebie I've run into that allows extensive user-set anti-spam parameters is the not-quite-usual BlueHome. If anyone knows of any others, I'd certainly like to hear it.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2006, 07:13 AM   #11
mikev99
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
I seem to have very little spam getting through With a Tuffmail front end feeding into a fastmail account.
I agree. Tuffmail gives me almost as much MX control as I had when running my own server and certainly easier.

I started out forwarding to my fastmail account. However, I have found, for my needs, that using Thunderbird as an IMAP email client and getting it from Tuffmail works even better. I now just drop the mail in my Tuffmail mailbox. Also, Fastmail is still struggling with a HTML compose editor whereas Thunderbird works really well.
mikev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2006, 11:34 AM   #12
mailboy
Essential Contributor

I am not downplaying Tuffmail's excellent features. I just wish they had at least informed their customers of the rate hike, or put an announcement on the website at least.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 11:47 AM   #13
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally posted by mailboy
I am not downplaying Tuffmail's excellent features. I just wish they had at least informed their customers of the rate hike, or put an announcement on the website at least.
It is possible that the new rates apply to new customers only and the existing are grandfathered?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2006, 12:08 PM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
It is possible that the new rates apply to new customers only and the existing are grandfathered?
That's the way Tuffmail usually works (I already suggested this early on in the thread) But nobody seems to want to email support to check.....
Old 7 Dec 2006, 05:43 PM   #15
hobbes

Quote:
Originally posted by mailboy
Does not a front-page box displaying the new rate count as an announcement?

For me, the spam filtering options is the killer feature for Tuffmail. Far superior to Runbox and Fastmail.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote