EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 Dec 2006, 10:40 PM   #16
Shelded

New E-Discovery Rules Benefit Some Firms

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061201/...toring_e_mails
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2006, 11:10 PM   #17
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
If I sent mail through POBOX that could give me the BCC too, but it looks like Tuffmail has more features than POBOX...

I think I will use Fastmail and Tuffmail together for a while, it gives me a nice backup.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2006, 07:26 AM   #18
ahathorn17

Any email company out there that runs Merak can do smtp-level bbc.
ahathorn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2006, 08:34 AM   #19
mikev99
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Fastmail's Rivals...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChinaLamb
I spent some time today working with Tuffmail. (I hate to say it but I feel as if my business is outgrowing Fastmail.) - Needed - SMTP level BCC, as well as calendaring and sync-able addressbook.

I was very disappointed with Tuffmail. There is a lot of technical prowess there, however the user experience is lacking. Using Horde, I could not for the life of me get it to allow me to create a sub folder off the inbox. Also, everything seems to be written for linux programmers, as it all uses technical language which is beyond me, and I am in the software industry.

I would be able to use the email service, I think, however teaching my wife who works with me? Forget it.

My feeling is that it is a GREAT email service for very technical people, but for mainstream, it has a long way to go.
Tuffmail's is a very flexible and powerful IMAP server. The webmail is provided as a means to access the mail temporarily, but not to be used on a regular basis. I use Tuffmail with Thunderbird and found it quite robust. I am slowly shutting down my Fastmail usage.
mikev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2006, 09:00 AM   #20
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Why is webmail "not to be used on a regular basis"? This doesn't make sense to me. Why shouldn't it be used on a regular basis?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2006, 02:30 PM   #21
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by William9
Why is webmail "not to be used on a regular basis"? This doesn't make sense to me. Why shouldn't it be used on a regular basis?
Some people don't like SquirrelMail (like me) or Horde (I prefer it to Fastmail's interface) and since they're the only two web interfaces officially offered by Tuffmail...you get the idea.

Tuffmail does work very well with a client through because of it's Bayes training via IMAP and SMTP auto-bcc capabilities. Those features overshadow the web interfaces as well, since many providers don't offer those features. Thus making Tuffmail the "email-client-user's" email provider.

[mod: edit to add quotes and hypens]

Last edited by Shelded : 4 Dec 2006 at 07:36 AM.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2006, 12:40 AM   #22
mikev99

Quote:
The focus of Tuffmail is to support robust desktop email clients. Hence, not a lot of support energy is put into supporting webmail. If you really want to use webmail with Tuffmail try RoundCube (beta) It has features that are more advanced than some other webmail clients.
Quote:
Nov 23, 2005 We have installed a version of the Roundcube web client that uses technology that many people believe will render desktop mail clients obsolete. Roundcube will not work properly with all browsers and we can not provide any support or answer any questions about this web client.
RoundCube does have a user forum for questions.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 02:14 AM   #23
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I haven't used it much, but my first impression of RoundCube (beta) was, "where are the features?" Features like spell check, adding addresses to white and black lists, etc.
It's a really nice, clean interface, but appears pruned of handy features.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 06:12 AM   #24
Havokmon

Representative of:
VFEmail.net
So if you're outgrowing an online service, why aren't you setting up your own server?

You can then duplicate everything that hits SMTP, incoming and outgoing.

If you have a dynamic IP, just use a dynamic DNS provider. Any other SMTP server that can't contact you at your old IP will queue it until it gets the new DNS name - that time will depend on the cache time of your DNS provider, and the queue time and queue lifetime of the sending server. If you're up 24/7, odds are your IP won't change much to begin with.

Rick
Havokmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2006, 07:13 AM   #25
mikev99

Quote:
I haven't used it much, but my first impression of RoundCube (beta) was, "where are the features?" Features like spell check, adding addresses to white and black lists, etc.
It's a really nice, clean interface, but appears pruned of handy features.
From the Roundcube page,

RoundCube Webmail is a browser-based multilingual IMAP client with an application-like user interface. It provides full functionality you expect from an e-mail client, including MIME support, address book, folder manipulation, message searching and spell checking. RoundCube Webmail is written in PHP and requires the MySQL database. The user interface is fully skinnable using XHTML and CSS 2.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 02:13 PM   #26
William9
The "e" in e-mail

When I last checked, the RoundCube version available as a beta webmail by Tuffmail does not have spell check nor could I find the function of adding addresses to policy lists.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 11:23 PM   #27
mikev99

Quote:
When I last checked, the RoundCube version available as a beta webmail by Tuffmail does not have spell check nor could I find the function of adding addresses to policy lists.
True, but one can install it themselves if they have the appropriate system. Maybe JC will upgrade to the latest beta soon?
Old 19 Dec 2006, 12:14 AM   #28
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally posted by Havokmon
So if you're outgrowing an online service, why aren't you setting up your own server?
Well, My business would be much better served if I spent my time doing the things I am good at. Dealing with Email problems, and administering my own server is not one of them.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2006, 12:41 AM   #29
Havokmon

Representative of:
VFEmail.net
Quote:
Well, My business would be much better served if I spent my time doing the things I am good at. Dealing with Email problems, and administering my own server is not one of them.
Understood - but a small business mail server does not require the maintenance that you might expect. A competent admin could set you up with a good automated system, and all you do is add/delete users. It's an up-front investment, but pays off over the long haul.

Matt at www.tnpi.biz (not me - nor affiliated in any way) could set you up. I don't know if he'll provide hardware or not - but is a good guy and will point you in the right direction if he's not what he thinks you need.
Havokmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2006, 02:34 AM   #30
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
It is good to know your limitations. The last thing you want to do is start hosting your own server. From reading your post, it seems you are truly a “small business” in that you don’t have a lot of people working for you (maybe just you and your wife?).

There are so many “little” issues to deal with when maintaining your own server… upgrades, updates, what to do when a virus or worm comes knocking, small glitches (software/hardware/internet connection), total hardware failure, etc, etc….

As you have indicated, it is much wiser to outsource this part of your business so you can focus on things that make you money.

This is not a swipe at the person that recommended this… the definition of a “small business” is a business under 500 or maybe 100 employees (depending on what you read). So it could be a good idea for a small business to bring their servers in house. At a small college I worked, we brought all of our services in house… we had about 130 employees (give or take 15 on either side).

For a one-person establishment that sells homemade X (where X is a product), no I could not recommend they setup their own server.

Last edited by theog : 19 Dec 2006 at 03:01 AM.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote